main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Vehicles/Tech in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DaddlerTheDalek, May 17, 2016.

1. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    Let's talk about the tech/weapons & starships/other vehicles of Rogue One!
    Like the return of the Imperial Star Destroyers and this new tank of the Galactic Empire.

[​IMG]

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

To start with I still have a soft spot for the Imperial "tank" from the animated film in The Holiday Special. And may I say it carries interesting allusions to the Separatists' battle droid tanks in the PT?

In comparison the R1 Imperial tank looks almost a bit to "down to earth".

The re-use of the original ANH Star Destroyer model is just great. Hope we get to see some interesting close-ups, especially its big lateral guns in ship-to-ship combat. :D

DaddlerTheDalek and Sarge like this.
  3. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I think the realism is that particular picture is a step in the wrong direction. Change the stormtroopers to US soldiers and it could very well be a promo picture for a Battlefield game taking place in Iraq. The only difference here is the stormtroopers.

Star Wars is more than just stormtroopers and TIE-fighters.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  4. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    But they are part of the story. You have your Jedi in other movies.
    The Empire is supposedly oppressing the Galaxy. We actually have to see a little bit of that. Stormtroopers making life a misery for the general population.

5. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

I came across this illustrative compilation of "real" and EU conjectural TIE fighter designs.

Although I don't get the distinction between "T.I.E." and "TIE" fighter, I still think I would have preferred the TIE Skyhopper ("TIE Phantom") over the new TIE Striker for Rogue One (and yet no clue what the TIE "long range fighter" might look like, as Kenobi's "No, it's a short range fighter" suggested a distinction).

P.S. TIE shuttle would probably be one with solar fins turned inside-out, according to my knowledge of the latest state of research regarding Captain Needa's shuttle in ESB:

http://www.makmodeler.com/?p=2459

DL44Jo likes this.
  6. chris1982

chris1982 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2015
    Star Wars is much more than Jedi, Sith and Lightsabers too.

7. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Yeah good luck making a movie about the theft of the Death Star plans without TIE's & Stormtroopers. May as well say the Empire isn't involved in the story!

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Here are some others:

TIE Striker:

[​IMG]

Rebel Starfighter (my favorite of the new vehicles):

[​IMG]

The AT-ACT:

[​IMG]

9. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    I was wondering if some of the wrecked x-wings that we see in the teaser might end up being U-wings.

The one in the village looks more like an x-wing, but I'm not sure about the one we see on the beach.

Also clears up that instagram post from Yen's wife in front of the snowspeeder.

10. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Can we talk about what a fantastic design the Rebel Starfigher is?

Though I guarantee that we're going to get a line like:

"Our entire fleet of Rebel Starfighters has been destroyed!" :)

11. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    TIE Striker... I'm getting an Airplane 2 vibe:

"Striker, Striker, Striker, Striker!" (background officer strikes a female officer, before the speaker speaks again). "TIE Striker?" :p

12. weezer

May 16, 2001
  13. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I don't think it suggested such a distinction at all. It was merely a comment on Luke's suggestion that the fighter followed them from Tatooine. All it is saying is that the fighter couldn't have followed them because it is short-range (= no lightspeed), which doesn't imply that there has to be a long-range fighter as well.

I don't find the ship-designs of both TFA and Rogue One - or what we have seen so far - all that interesting. The TIE Striker is really unimaginative, and quite frankly, also completely unnecessary. Especially for a movie like Rogue One. It would have been a better fit for TFA. As for the U-Wing, that one is even worse. It looks like they took a snowspeeder, added X-Wing engines to it and something long to the front for no apparent reason. The last bit has some similarity with Zam Wessell's speeder in AOTC, though that one had much better proportions. This one just looks weird all around.

I'm not sure why they add new designs to a movie that plays basically at the same time as ANH, while keeping the designs of the movie that plays 30 years after the OT mostly similar to those. Rogue One would have lended itself perfectly to use the old designs. It's one thing to have slightly differences, like with the AT-ATs, but something entirely different to have something entirely new. Because with that you have to explain why the Empire and the Rebels never used any of those in the OT. For TFA, meanwhile, you easily could have explained these things as new designs.

It is easy to add something that is one of a kind in the movie, like the Falcon. You only get one transport for the heroes, so you can easily play with the design of such a ship. But when it comes to mass-produced fighters which constantly show up, you can quickly run intro problems.

14. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

That picture exemplifies the direction Gareth Edwards is intentionally going with Rogue One: "Putting the WARS back in Star Wars." [face_skull]

That's a good thing.

15. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Also, IMO, it isn't significantly more "realistic" (as defined by having an analog in modern-day warfare) than the Trade Federation tanks:

[​IMG]

Not to mention that this is a drawing of the tank from an odd angle. The design looks more "Star Warsy" and less like an earthly tank, in the trailer:

[​IMG]

DL44Jo and Import_Jedi like this.
  16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I don't think you need an explanation. It's a Galaxy Far Far Away. Lots of room for different ships, etc. EU did it for years (sometimes better than others).

I think it is great that there is some new to go along with the old (which we're already going to be seeing).

Edit: I hope you all have saved the images you want. The original source has pulled them, and it looks like some of the sites reporting on it are starting to pull them as well.

17. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Agreed. And these designs are, despite being new, very consistent with the OT aesthetic. So there's nothing jarring about it. We just assume the galaxy is big, and that different types of ships are deployed for different reasons at different battles, and leave it at that. No explanation needed.

The Lucasfilm design team is returning to the OT and TPM form, for sure (most likely through Chiang's expert direction). This means the DNA of McQuarrie and Johnston is strong. Concepts are edited down to their cleanest forms, and have great silhouettes. A refreshing change from the last two prequel films. And I must say, a refreshing change from TFA, which went a little too far in keeping designs the same as the OT.

18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I love these designs. It feels like the 1990s period of the EU come to life in live-action, and that really appeals to me. Like, I see the TIE Striker or the Rebel Starfighter (U-Wing?) and the first thing that comes to mind were hours spent on the floor of my childhood home playing Rogue Squadron. And I really like that they're not just showing us what we've seen before. When we watch ANH/TESB/RotJ now, we're going to be thinking of all of these designs existing in other parts of the Galaxy that we don't see in those three movies.

19. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Precisely. It expands the galaxy. Which is what so many fans clamor for. Until they don't. :)

20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    looks like they took down the images from the edelweiss website.

21. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

weezer wrote

I was wondering if some of the wrecked x-wings that we see in the teaser might end up being U-wings.

The wrecked fighter in the background of the Donnie Yen teaser scene is definitely an OT X-Wing (T-65)

The one in the village looks more like an x-wing, but I'm not sure about the one we see on the beach.

I'd say the four engines are a clear giveaway to indicate the new U-Wing (see image above). The only thing the Visual Guide apparently does not make clear, is that it has probably a personnel disembarking hatch at the bottom (compare to the preproduction painting of Rebel soldiers disembarking in rain and at nighttime...).

Also clears up that instagram post from Yen's wife in front of the snowspeeder.

Obviously. Another poster thought (in the Ben Mendelsohn walking-on-water scene) it was a Y-Wing cockpit (good thing those beauties will be in Rogue One, too, I hope they remove a lot of TIE Strikers from my line of sight...;)).

22. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    I like that they've retained the ANH aesthetic. Seems totally appropriate. Can't imagine it being otherwise, given the time period.

I like that we have some new designs -- new film, ergo new designs -- while retaining existing ones.

I don't like that the designs (to my eye) are kinda uninspiring. Like someone else said, very EU-like, to me. And while I get that some may find that appealing, EU designs (even those in games like X-wing and TIE fighter) always seemed kinda second-rate to me. (sorry not sorry)

I've said it before, but it feels to me like they're really missing Joe Johnston on these new films.

Example: there are some things to like in the U-wing. I like the cockpit module. Feels very in-universe and of a kind with other OT-era designs. But those exaggerated "prongs" out front... Oy. What purpose could they possibly serve, except as a purely distinctive visual element? That was the magic of the Johnston/McQuarrie collaboration -- they could take these fanciful vehicle concepts that clearly couldn't work in space or an atmosphere and make them appear that they actually did. Everything seemed purposeful. Those prongs? Not so much. I'm not saying everything necessarily needs an obvious purpose, but IMO there shouldn't be these exaggerated design elements that are utterly devoid of any conceivable purpose. The much too-long exaggerated bat-like folding wings on Kylo's Shuttle are an example of this, too.

p.s. Anybody else notice that the T-70 appeared on some of the leaked pages?

Skydoll, Hernalt and Sarge like this.
  23. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Xinau

Because of the X-Wing T-70 in R1 there is a high probability that some pages / elements are just placeholders. All the footage thus far leaked contains exclusively OT T-65s.

Assuming there is a slight hope, that the TIE Striker is just a placeholder, too (and will be created in post-production) above is a little reminder from the targeting display of the X-wing fighters in ANH. (literally impossible to find a decent screencap!)

Admittedly, the targeting displays of the X-Wings were somewhat crude in ANH (and in contrast to the TIE fighters' targeting displays), but they all featured only one TIE fighter symbol (see above), possibly chosen because of a widespread TIE variation before the days of ANH...

For the sake of continuity, I'd rather like to see a new TIE fighter in Rogue One that matches the above silhouette than this new TIE Striker....

EHT and Xinau like this.
  24. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I noticed the T-70s. I'm sure it was just a placeholder image.

As for the other designs, I like them. If it didn't have the "prongs" it wouldn't be a U :p

25. TyrannosaurTJ

TyrannosaurTJ Jedi Padawan star 1

May 7, 2016
    Well I'm going to run out of space to put up the toy versions of the new Imperial stuff for my "base" for all this. :p

whostheBossk likes this.