main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC17 Orlando 2017!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by michaelsft, May 4, 2016.

1. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    It's somewhat similar to Hall H. Last year I spent 16 hours in that line and was in the second row for the TFA opening ceremony, but I know most of the people who got in line very early that morning got into the main auditorium with the stage. They just had to sit farther back. Everyone who came later ended up in overflow rooms where the whole thing was being simulcast. Unlike Hall H, the line at Anaheim was indoors and JJ and Kathy Kennedy bought us all pizza. James Arnold Taylor also stopped by to chat and pose for pics too.

I have never spent the night in line in Orlando so someone else will have to tell you what that experience is like.

Lord Bacon likes this.
  2. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I got a room at the La Quinta the Star Wars Celebration site recommended. Having never been out to Orlando, is the La Quinta close to the convention center, is it difficult to navigate out there?

3. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006

But the other thing is that the Main Stage at Anaheim could hold 7500 people. The Main Stage at Orlando can only hold 2500. If you want to be in that room for Opening ceremony you will have to line up early.

Dewback, Lord Bacon and Padme501st like this.
  4. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    I ended up in the overflow room in Anaheim, I missed the main stage with around 20-30 minutes, and got in line at around 7:30 in the morning. It was still fun to be in th overflow room though.

Here is a map over the Convention centre with the closest hotels marked.

[​IMG]

5. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Well I hope they do a shuttle because I chose the Hawthorne Suites because it looked like it was across the street. But it looks like it is across the highway.

6. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    Also even if there is just one entrance marked, after the rush in the morning they have opened the other entrances as well, including one facing the Rosen Centre (I used that one all the time last time)

7. JediJones77

JediJones77 Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2010
    This is my first Celebration and I got a VIP ticket. Is it true that if someone has a normal ticket, they can accompany a VIP holder in the shorter lines/advance seating?

8. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    Nope. Not even kids either.

Not sure about medical badges though. I know they had a separate line from the VIPs, so I would guess not them either.

9. swfangirl

swfangirl Jedi Knight

Sep 11, 2012
    In Anaheim we skipped the opening ceremony all together and watched it live from our phones while waiting in line for the exhibit hall to open the first day. Saw the same show and got to be the first in the convention hall, as they made everyone who went to the opening go to the back of the hall line when the show was over. We pretty much got all of the exhibitor exclusives we wanted knocked out Thursday morning and didn't have to rush around for the the rest of the con.

It probably was neat to be physically in the same room as the stars, but when they said they were broadcasting it live I didn't feel like staying up all night in line.

xyloren, Lord Bacon and corinthia like this.
  10. JediJones77

JediJones77 Jedi Knight

Aug 15, 2010
    OK, thanks. Do the VIPers get autographs from whoever's at the meet and greet or do those have to be purchased the normal way?

11. 80ninjas

80ninjas Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2014
    I wouldn't be shocked if they used both concourses this year. Maybe have some of the exhibits in the North Concourse/Main Convention Center and the panels in the West Concourse.

I get not wanting to make people walk too much, but with the size of Celebration as it stands now (based off last year) you'd think they'd want to maximize the space available to them.

12. Master_Angela

Master_Angela Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2010
    I booked my Celebration hotel for the 12-17, and I will probably add on 4 Disney days from the 18-21st after but will move to an on property site at Disney for my park days, considering this since there is SO many new things coming out of the parks lately, all of the Animal Kingdom stuff, the Norway Frozen Ride, the new Soarin', Kylo at launch bay (when I was there last it was darth vader), plus I LOVE seeing EPCOT during The Flower & Garden Festival which will be going on in April.

On the 12th, I'm going to try to arrive by noon at the latest, going to book an early AM flight, hopefully. The first day of the con, is the day that usually has the big panels (like the TFA one for Anaheim?), would the 12th, be the only real night I need to worry about camping out? I have never camped out for anything before, and that is a main reason I wanted VIP so bad & was willing to splurge, I have no idea what to expect for this. I've done cons like Dallas Star Wars Fan Days, and SWW, but none on this scale. I know you mentioned this theater holds 5,000 less than the Anaheim one, how early would you recommend getting in line for what I am assuming will be a big Episode VIII panel? Any tips for surviving a camp out? What kind of stuff to bring, etc. Should I buy a folding camping chair, or something, would probably need to get that in Florida, can't really bring that on a plane?

13. Padme501st

Padme501st Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 4, 2006
    Big panels like the TFA one really just depends, for a few times they skipped the opening ceremony all together but I doubt they would wait all weekend to show us an Ep.8 trailer/teaser. So I would assume Thursday but it's not set in stone.

The demand for the con really picked up after the opening ceremony last year so it's hard to judge what this one will be right off the bat. I almost would say if you get up early and stand in line at 4am you should be fine, you would have been fine last year but I feel like the demand is higher now.Tough call. I'm definitely going to try to bring a folding chair on the plane, not sure yet.

Master_Angela likes this.
  14. Fallen-Hero

Fallen-Hero Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 5, 2009
    I'm starting to think I'll want to bring costumes that I can sit directly on the ground with. And possibly a few energy drinks lol.

This message has been provided by Trixter using the Holo-net.

15. TK--421

TK--421 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 30, 2002
    There's two theaters at the OCCC West.

Chapin Theater - This has been the Celebration Stage in the past where the big panels/events will be. Holds 2,643.

Valencia Theater - This has been the Digital Stage in the past (Now Galaxy Stage?) where the secondary panels are held. It can hold up to 6,000 but they've only used the A section in the past which holds 1,500.

Wonder if they'll change it up and use all 4 sections of Valencia to hold all 6000 and do the big panels there now?

Master_Angela and Padme501st like this.
  16. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    TK--421 I would hope they expand it and make it available for more people since attendance doubled last year.

17. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I definitely hope they will do that, one of the worst things with Orlando Celebrations has been that the main stage was too small so you had to stand in line for a really long time even for the panels that weren't the "big" panels, just hoping to get in.

18. Alison Organa

Alison Organa Jedi Knight star 1

May 4, 2016
    Hi All! Just bought my tickets for Celebration 2017! I'm so excited! This will be my first Celebration and I'm thrilled it's only a 4 hour drive. Can anyone tell me how to pay for autographs/photos with Mark or Carrie? Thanks!

19. Alison Organa

May 4, 2016
    I'll definitely be bringing my sleeping bag because I'll be in that line! My family has told me no way but I want to be in there.

Dewback and Master_Angela like this.
  20. Alison Organa

May 4, 2016

If this doesn't make me sound like a total geek, I don't know what will, but I've actually started growing out my silver hair so I can be General Organa. I have to get the coiled braids for the back of my hair of course, but since I've been grey since my 20's - it will work. So look for General Leia sleeping in the night before the panel. :p

21. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    well in the past Official Pix did autographs and they had a separate company do photos. about a month or two before the show, the companies released who they were having and the prices and you could pre-order online (which I recommend). If I remember correctly, Mark was about $120 and Carrie was about $70

Master_Angela and Alison Organa like this.
  22. Alison Organa

May 4, 2016
    Thanks Padme! I'll certainly pay that in a heartbeat.

23. Padme501st

Sep 4, 2006
    Alison Organa also last year they did some photo ops where you had Carrie and Mark together for a joint price. Just a heads up for you. I got separate pics with both of them in Orlando and I wouldn't trade them for anything but I really enjoyed seeing the group photos people posted last year.

24. Master_Angela

Feb 1, 2010
    Thank you for all of the great information in all of your posts. Like others have said it is super helpful for first timers.

Padme501st likes this.
  25. Master_Angela

Feb 1, 2010
    The one thing on the top of my list at Celebration will be meeting Mark. I don't care if I miss everything else, I just want to meet him, if that happens I will leave happy. I definitely plan on buying a photo op and an autograph, going to try and swing 2 autograph tickets on two different days, just to have more time with him. Since I have so much time to save and plan ahead this will hopefully be possible. I will try to meet Carrie as well, one photo op and one autograph. If they do a group photo i might do that with the individuals, too. I also want to meet the rebels cast, especially Freddie since he never went to SWW, I've met Taylor and Vanessa at Hollywood Studios, and they signed my Disney Autograph Book, but I'd like a poster with all of them on it, like i have with the main clone wars cast that i got in 2014 at SWW. :)

Alison Organa likes this.