main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space

Discussion in 'Literature' started by bsmith7174, Nov 10, 2015.

1. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Were the EU still canon, the "sudden" appearance of TIE fighters wouldn't seem so sudden. Early TIEs were already around by the time of Rogue Planet (27 BBY).

2. Old Rex

Old Rex Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 28, 2015

The US press release for it called it a six book series, not counting The Escape which looks like it may be included with The Snare when it comes stateside, so I'd assume the two coming out in January in the UK will be the final two.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They were a lot bigger though - 20 m width.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_Project_ship

It's true that the first TIEs came out within weeks of ROTS though

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/T.I.E._starfighter

Although the new engine design was incompatible with established hyperdrive, life-support and shield systems, the T.I.E. was incredibly cheap, very fast, and could stack tightly in converted cargo holds or external launch-racks aboard the Navy's existing line-combat ships. By the first weeks of the New Order, T.I.E. fighters, already known to front-line personnel as "TIE fighters", were deployed aboard ships, such as the Victory-class Star Destroyer Strikefast.

4. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    For those wondering what the big deal is putting stormtroopers and tie fighters six months after ROTS. Simple it pretty much means there was hardly any transition period from the republic to the empire.

Palpatine: The republic will be reorganised into the first galactic empire!
    (Two Weeks Later)
    Citizen: The republic? That was ages ago!

5. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    But isn't that basically what happened? Within the period of the Clone Wars, Clone Troopers already began to change their armor. Standard OT ST armor is the next evolution. May already have been in the works, and mass-produced (hence need to generally find people who already FIT the armor, rather than make armor to fit the recruits). TIEs likely already in early planning or production, if not in prototype. The Senate still existed, at least in name only, until ANH. For the general population, it meant nothing more than rebranding, with promises of greater security. The Empire was literally, "Make The Galaxy Great Again". Replacing CT armor with ST armor is a great way to visually rebrand.

lso: remember this holovid from Luminara Unduli's capture:
    [​IMG]

We don't know how long after Order 66 this was, but the implication is that it's not very far afterwards.

Ventrix, jSarek and LelalMekha like this.
  6. Miken Ayers

Miken Ayers Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2015
    Let's also not forget Tarkin establishes a uniform design can practically be mass produced over night after entering the design specs in a computer. Seeing Stormtroopers almost instantly doesn't bother me as much as the TIE Fighters since Lords of the Sith makes a point of letting you know they either don't exist or are in operation yet.

7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Or perhaps in the first year after ROTS, standard TIEs and stormtrooper armor that we know was produced, but it still haven't replaced the clone armor completely that soon. Hence the CT armor in Kanan several months after Order 66. I'm still confused about the V-wings and Vader's ETA starfighter in Lords of the Sith 5 years later...

8. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    The fifth book in the series, The Cold is widely available now. I was able to pick it up in Waterstones in the UK on Friday.

it adds very little to the overall story line. Effectively the Graf kids and crater have been refueled by the Bridgers, they head off to a planet to investigate as message, Crash on an ice planet, where they find Korda is still chasing them. Turns out he had been stripped of his rank, thrown out of the empire and enslaved on Kessel. He however had escaped and pursuing the Graf kids for the maps to sell.

After crashing the BIRD is sunk as Lina escaped. Korda catches up with her only to find snowtroopers after Korda.

All ends with Korda trying to blackmail the empire to rescue the Bird (where Milo and crater are) then stealing their ship to escape etc. This fails, kids escape on the empire ship, Korda left on ice moon.

They do learn however that the kids parents are still alive and indeed the epilogue shows the parents being hauled in front of tarkin...

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    My copy came from Amazon UK today. (I looked in both the local Waterstones and WH Smiths and neither had it).

10. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I ordered it in at Waterstones, arrived within a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's pretty good. I had other books on my order - it wasn't just this one.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    The UK covers, for once are so much better than the US covers. the artwork especially on the newest book I find particually delightful with Korda and the ship under the ice.

I am hoping for a satisfactory conclusion to this series. it is slowly building up, especially with the appearance of a well known character at the end.

what I like particularly is that the Galactic Atlas has been prepared and stored at the Graf Archive which must have a connection to the Graf family depicted in this book - seeing as they are all explorers and cartographers.

LelalMekha and Sinrebirth like this.
  13. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    [​IMG]

Helrot likes this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    There was a thirteen year period of transition.

:)

Palpatine's presidency is the transition period, IMHO. The Empire doesn't BEGIN on Empire Day, that's when the Sithari rests.

Daneira likes this.
  15. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
  16. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Amazon UK says it's out May 4 here.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I can finally read them all now. I've been waiting for them to finish.

18. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    Only read the first two, but they are super fun books. Feel like following along someone's wacky RPG campaign.

iucounu likes this.
  19. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    I have them all, but I'm enjoying reading the YA novels without a gap between them (just finished all of the Legends YA novels involving Qui-Gon, Tru Veld, Ferus Olin, Lune Divinian and Trever Flume), so I may as well continue.

20. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I'm doing the same - I read through Servants of the Empire in two sittings.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  21. Taalcon

Jul 12, 1998
    I just blasted through Junior Jedi Knights if that counts... Ugh, Uldir!

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Galaxy of Fear and JJK are all I have left before I have read all of Legends. It will be a sad day.

Daneira likes this.
  23. The Positive Fan

The Positive Fan Force Ghost star 4

Jan 19, 2015
    It's going to be interesting to see how Tarkin fits into things given where this series fits in the timeline.

Sinrebirth and Daneira like this.
  24. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    TARKIN! i'm such a Tarkin fangirl it's ridiculous, I love how often he's featured in things these days.

is that K2SO?

25. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If not it's the same type of droid..