main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST John Williams to Score the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by zilonline, Jul 11, 2016.

1. zilonline

zilonline Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 21, 2015
    Hey,

what are everybody's expectations for the music in the next chapter? Very likely, John Williams will still be composing it and I'm very much looking for the soundtrack of the film to enhance the on-going action even more. I'd really like to see and hear moments like in RotJ "If you will not turn to the Dark Side, then perhaps she will!" as in here [0:40]:

Also, another idea I had is from a very good scene in AotC.. the "Lost a planet Master Obi-Wan has, how embarrassing!" I've always absolutely adored the quiet choral part as in here [1:59]:

I've thought maybe this music could be used again, if Luke and Rey are at the old Jedi Temple or something, or if Yoda really returns as a Force Ghost, this playing in the background would be epic.

Of course it is very probable we will see a couple new themes, and the old ones for Rey, Kylo Ren and the Resistance returning. Maybe the Knights of Ren will have new thematic musical material?

zil

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Maybe something rehashed from both the SW Main Theme and the one from Indiana Jones, as background music to action scenes featuring our heroes... Although one thing's for sure - we will be hearing quite a bit of Kylo Ren's battle theme since he has become quite a main character in the ST!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

3. SOLARISENSHI

SOLARISENSHI Jedi Knight star 1

May 20, 2015
    I don't know when it will appear but I'm pretty sure Luke Skywalker will get a new theme in which I'm excited to hear but unsure whether it'll be created at all I feel like the character is going through a rebirth. Since Rey is also a new Jedi I would have expected her theme from episode 7 to be more triumphant and more grandiose on a galactic scale and now knowing she's going to be the next badass Jedi she deserves a better theme keeping what was already hurting and branching off and making it better been done more than a dozen times with John Williams music so I think an adaptation or additions can be made just as main Star Wars theme is interwoven with most of the Star Wars music

4. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    i want williams to go back to the prequel style music. muuuuch better than the ot music imo.

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I respect your opinion, but really, "muuuuch" better?

I really liked most of the PT music, but IMO, it doesn't compare to the memorability and power of Williams' OT scores.

That being said, I won't venture into hyperbole and say they're "muuuuch" better than the PT scores either. ;)

6. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    So.....with filming pretty much wrapped with the exception of a few possible reshoots we don't know about, it shouldn't be too long before the score begins work. When do you all suppose this will begin? And I haven't heard anything about Williams NOT wanting to do it so it would make sense for him to work on it if work is to begin, say, this fall. Amiright?

7. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Doesn't Rian and his team have to edit the film first?

8. srg

srg Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 26, 2016
  9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Given the subject matter, I am extremely curious how Williams' Ready Player One score will turn out.

Baron_Papanerd and Howard Hand like this.
  10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    You are right the PT scores are not muuuuch better. They are only muuuch better. That one less U makes all the difference. ;)

11. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    the ot soundtrack is a classic and i love it, just like the style of the pt music more. :)

12. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    I imagine it will share the general sound of TFA but with fewer references to the OT and more impressionistic passages (based on the musical aesthetic of Rian Johnson's previous films).

I'm really excited for that one, more than VIII even. The genre seems to be unexplored territory for Williams and after his disappointingly derivative score for The BFG, I'm all for that.

GunganSlayer likes this.
  13. Banana-Wan Kenobi

Banana-Wan Kenobi Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 6, 2016

I think all 3 soundtracks are great(PT,OT TFA) but I do agree that the PT has the most depth of music for various specifics of the films, and sound so much richer.

Padme's Death theme is just marvelous.

vncredleader and 11-4D like this.
  14. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Damn that's a LOT of work for an 84 year old !!! I mean-we have 80-something year olds in government but we all know they don't really do anything!

thejeditraitor likes this.
  15. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

Makes sense. After all, Luuke was twice as good as Luke.

Togruta and vncredleader like this.
  16. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014
    I hope that Williams develops The Jedi Steps into a full on thematic piece for Ahch-To and the Jedi history stuff. It's my favourite track from the TFA soundtrack.

17. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    yeah Jedi Step is a great theme, along with Rey's theme. I hope these tunes will be carried on and developped even further in the next episode. I quite enjoyed the Resistance theme too!

18. Mungo Baobab

Mungo Baobab Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2014

Yeah, Rey's theme is another favourite, too. I'm also fond of Kylo's theme / motif, which, although relatively simple, seems like it could be expanded upon as we go along, too.

19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    In TFA, Finn's motif is basically "the chasing music cue."

I hope Episode VIII gives him some proper downtime scenes, so the music can give him an actual theme.

20. Conetroooper

Conetroooper Jedi Master

Jul 19, 2006
    I wonder if the Imperial March will appear in any form? It appeared quite a few times in the PT, as it was Vader's story and the rise of the Empire, who of course share the theme (weaved in with the Anakin theme, but also used for the Clone Army at the end of AOTC, and many times through ROTS). Of course in TFA it only really appeared with Vader's melted helmet, but given that Vader's legacy probably still haunts Luke, Leia and especially Ben/Kylo and the First Order probably wants to become a new Empire, maybe it'll show up again.

21. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    If there is a flashback, you might get a Ben's theme.

I figure there will also be an Ahch-to theme that will probably weave Binary Sunset and Rey's themes together.

22. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I definately believe the Knight of Ren will get their own theme.

23. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    i want a first order march track.

24. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I want a more orchestra themes like the PT..

25. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    A new arrangement of Luke and Leia when they reunite. It'll make me cry.

New music for Finn. His theme in TFA is great for the chases and action, but Finn needs something more complete.

A full theme for Kylo using his 5-note theme.

A full theme for the First Order. Attack on the Jakku Village has so much in it that could be used for a First Order theme.

Ahch-To and the Jedi Temple. Something similar to Tales of a Jedi Knight for Luke and Rey on Ahch-To. Because of how well The Jedi Steps fits the TFA ending, it will be interesting to see if it could be reworked for Ahch-To and the Jedi Temple in VIII.

New arrangements of Rey's theme. Lighter moments like the end of The Scavenger. An iconic "Rey and the Force" moment like Binary Sunset or Yoda and the Force.

Music for Leia and Kylo. Could be something completely new or use their themes. It would be heartbreaking.

Is is too late to get some music for Chewie? He deserves it.