main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Luke and Mara Index & Discussion (2.0)! *New Topic: Change is Hard!*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Hmmm. That is kinda annoying (I'm one of those rare people who don't mind that they named the Solo character Ben).

You could name him Ben (my roommate's family has this thing where all the oldest boys have the same names, neither of which lend themselves to a verity of nicknames, so my roommate is '[name] the fifth'). It isn't that uncommon for families to share names.

OR, you could name him Obi-Wan and have him go by the name Ben for his protection in hiding.

Edit:Ninja'd by Findswoman

2. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007

Beat me to it, Briannakin.

Call him by Ben Kenobi's official name, Obi-Wan. Or use the creative approach and alter it: Ben-Obi, Ben-Wan, etc...

I recall this same problem in the Bantam EU when Lucas himself demanded that there not be another character named Anakin. Hence, the death of Anakin Solo. :oops: As if people would be confused. Because as it's been stated here already, families do keep the same names and just add Jr. or the II, III, etc.

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I know Lucas said "no more Wookiee Jedi", hence why the authors decided to play it safe, exile Lowie and only have minor appearances by him.

But I thought GL was fine with the name, he didn't want Anakin becoming the hero of NJO because it would create confusion with the other Anakin (whut?) so the authors just swapped Jacen's and Anakin's story lines (then, I think Jaina was supposed to fall to the darkside, which would have been way more interesting).

Anywayyys. Off topic slightly.

4. Benign Viewer

Benign Viewer Jedi Knight

Jan 3, 2015
    Hi y'all.
    Im not sure how alive this thread is, but I've been a long time (closet) fan of the Zahn and Stackpole EU (now, sadly, Legends) novels, and in particular of their great characters , and use of the pre-existing characters. As someone who's been a long time fan of Mara in particular, and dablled in far too much fan-fiction writing (and shared far too little of it) I wondered if this would be the place to get some pointers as well as feedback in my own novelisation of the headcannon I've constructed out of the Star Wars mutliverse - featuring Mara jade (Skywalker) and Luke prominently of course - among the rest of the ensemble cast, new and old?

Regards, a very persistent shadow on the TFN boards;
    ~Benign Viewer

5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I am formally pulling out of the 'resurrect Mara after five years' challenge.

Process is simple enough in my head, but I over-complicate the execution, and there are easier projects.

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Yes, this is the right place! :) Welcome. The people who are knowledgable about Legends will probably drop in to help you at some point. Until then, we have a bunch of other, generally helpful threads, too. Feel free to say hi.

Findswoman likes this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
  8. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    You can call him Bendy, Benda, Bendu - I think Bendu is actually Jedi related in one of the ANH drafts.

Ben Solo: "We're cousins; how can we have the same name?"

Ben Skywalker: "Well actually, mine is short for Bendy. While you are just...Ben."

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    The question was asked a year ago. I'm pretty sure she worked it out :p

10. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Yay! old thread!

okay I have accepted this challenge to bring Mara back to Luke

Mara

Okay, what if one of them is Ben, short for Obi-Wan?

My vote is for Ben Solo to be Obi-Wan Solo, because Leia knows Ben Kenobi is actually Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The rulez

1. The fic can be any genre (romance, fluff, horror, angst) and any length (there is no due date)

2. The fic must remain Legends canon-compatible, meaning Sacrifice, the rest of LOTF, FOTJ and Crucible (as horrible as it was) must have happened (though having read them isn’t required). So the fic must take place post-45 ABY (if the events were not dreamt)

3. You must return Mara back from the dead in some way. Some ideas (that actually come from my own plot bunnies) are
    - her death and subsequent events were all just a dream
    - Luke goes all out Victor Frankenstein and creates a new Mara
    - Mara comes from an alternative universe
    - Mara (very elaborately) faked her own death (or someone else faked it)
    - Mara’s spirit pulls either a Palpatine (with a clone) or a Callista (with someone else’s body) (please no!)
    - spontaneous resurrection

4. You must also include (at least) one of these phrases (or a slightly edited version)
    - “Yes, yes, yes. Mara Jade Skywalker: back from the dead”
    - “What happens when ‘till death” is merely a technicality?”
    - “So, does this make you a zombie? Are you suddenly craving brains?”
    - “Mara Jade was never one for resting in peace.”
    - “Because I could not stop for Death, he kindly stopped for me, so I punched him in the face.”

Last edited by Briannakin, Mar 6, 2016

Thank the Force this thing has no due date.
    Commence primary ignition.

11. jackyyy17

jackyyy17 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2006

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  12. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I've removed the above link as I don't think a random couple wants their wedding website linked to on a Star Wars website, even if their names are Luke and Mara.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    As if I had not shocked everybody enough this year already...

...hi! [face_peace] I'm a fan of Mara's transformation now and I totally understand it. And I get how Luke was the catalyst, but not necessarily the "saviour".

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Ewok Poet! Hi! :) :) :) I too agree Luke wasn't her "savior" per se. She had to move and grow on her own, but he helped her along that path, made it possible for her to believe in herself and in better choices. I think Karrde was where that all began, giving her a role model that was not all Sheevy :p I also think Mara "saved" Luke from using the Force in misguided ways and also from being in emotional exile after Callista :rolleyes: [face_laugh]

mavjade and Ewok Poet like this.
  15. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha, that's precisely the impression I have after revisiting some analysis type of articles and planning to re-read TTT comic omnibus thing that I read in February 2017.

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.
  16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I think most people here wouldn't consider Luke to be Mara's "saviour". I mean, there will always be those 'surface level' fics that don't appreciate how much of a character Mara was developed to be. Yes, Zahn originally wrote her as a potential love interest for the future, but he developed her beyond that in TTT, and in (IIRC) all of the Bantam/New Republic books (up until SotP/VotF duo) Mara isn't the love interest and Luke isn't trying to save her. Yes, he cares for her as a friend and as a potential student, but he doesn't save her from her dark past. Mara very much saved herself and I'd argue that the Emperor's death was the catalyst for her transformation. As Nyota pointed out, Karrde and his crew were also huge influences in her life.

17. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I agree that Mara saved herself and yeah, I'd say that Karrde and crew did a whole lot to help her in that regard. After the Emperor died she was adrift and they were there to help her make something of her life after it had been controlled for so long. After she and Luke became friends they both helped each other grow and learn (I think true self confidence was a big thing Luke helped her with. Before that, I feel like she projected self-confidence to hide how she really felt) and that just continued as they got married and had Ben. And I agree Nyota, Mara saved Luke in a lot of ways and that without her, things would have probably been much darker Luke and the New Jedi Order.

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That makes sense, completely. Either way...looks like I shocked people, despite that story I wrote last year. 8-}

19. Modernism

Modernism Jedi Master star 1

Feb 19, 2003
    I go through periods of disliking all things Star Wars, especially the fans. Yet I feel that Mara Jade will never die. Despite what LucasFilm or Disney does, she hit a nerve with many fans. I was on a downward dislike of the fandom, when I saw Empire with full orchestra accompaniment in a big theater with 2000+ other people. This is the only way to see the films, truly. And watching it I remembered how I loved that movie, and how I want to rewrite my fanfiction... hehe heh heh...

mavjade and madman007 like this.
  20. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I am one of the lucky ones to see Empire in its first run at the theaters in 1980. The line to get in was wrapped all the way around the building. The theater was packed with at least a hundred or more. And when that famous line arrived, (No, I am your father!) the sound of a hundred people gasping will never leave my mind.

Now, I just saw the first Star Wars In Concert with an orchestra playing the music with the movie. It's only a matter of time before Empire arrives here too. Can't wait.

As far as Mara Jade goes, she is one of my favorite characters along with a certain Dark Lord of the Sith (Vader, if you need it spelled out). I keep her alive with my fan fic stories I write with her.

Mara Jade Forever!

Modernism and mavjade like this.