main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph “Let's Fly!” - Star Trek: Discovery [Paramount+/Netflix/CraveTV]

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Aug 5, 2016.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Launches in January. Rumor is we should have many more details (plot, cast, etc) coming on August 10th, thus, when combined with the concept teaser video above (which does not feature the final ship design, though the registry number is said to have some meaning beyond being a Halloween reference) from Comic-Con, leads us to the dedicated thread as we lead up to its release (so as to help better contain initial spoilers and such from the Star Trek General Discussion & theatrical film threads).

2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Petition to add "CraveTV" to the thread title. The show is CBS All Access in the USA, CraveTV in Canada (well, technically it's going to air on CTV for the pilot, Space for a few episodes and then to CraveTV), and Netflix globally. So, basically, only outside North America do people have to buy outside of their Netflix streaming services to access it.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/CraveTV

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Done.Yeah, for once NA gets screwed on the release. I just wish CBS had more shows that I could better justify the subscription price for (even though I'm going to subscribe anyways for this show, alas).

Maybe if this works out for them they can justify investing in DS9 HD for more exclusive content that would be relatively cheap to produce (vs making a new series from scratch, at least).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I really think DS9 and VOY in HD are basically inevitable. It would just be weird if they had TOS/TAS/TNG/ENT/DSC in HD and then, oh yeah, we have almost 350 episodes of these two other shows but they aren't in HD but whateves. The market demands it! Even if nobody will buy the BluRays but them darn streaming services / individual stations who syndicate it at 2 PM in the afternoon will.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh boy, the MCUization of Star Trek threads. :p

Bor Mullet and jp-30 like this.
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Al- I'm not sure if it's inevitable since there's still a cost involved. DS9 at least lends itself well to streaming/binge-watching given its serialized storytelling, which is why it might pair well with CBSAA (especially since Netflix helped foot the bill for TNG HD and is a key distributor for DSC too).

Voyager might be harder to justify (even if it ends up being the odd man out). Though many be they could do key episodes or something as a band-aid.

Guy- If it becomes necessary, we can always merge threads down the road. But better to keep things organized and spoiler controlled from the start rather than when it gets messy down the road.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, to sign up for that CBS thing or wait for it to show up elsewhere. Oh well, NA is probably their biggest market (American TV show), so of course they want to push their own service, but not sure I care enough to sign up. Wonder if it'll end up on Netflix eventually.

Did they say if the whole season would go up at once (like Netflix does with their series) or a new episode each week?

TOS and TNG were popular enough to warrant the Bluray release, DS9 maybe (although the fleet shots from later seasons will look really antiquated, video games could probably provide better graphics these days), I do wonder about Voyager. I hope they don't bother with Voyager, but there's always that nagging feeling to have all of Trek on Bluray someday. Well, not me, but some completionists might want that.

Sarge likes this.
  8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Inevitable? I think it's the opposite. I doubt they'll ever happen. Far too much money for almost no return on it. No business model can sustain that.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's going to be weekly (or at least in batches maybe) in the states, presumably, since the production timeframe doesn't seem to suggest an all-at-once binge release (i.e.: the season won't be finished by time the Jan release hits). Plus they won't want people to cancel after one month.

As for DS9 HD, they apparently overbuilt their CGI models (and still have most of the original scene files) so they should up-rez pretty well (at a relatively reduced cost). The FX might look outdated a bit still but that shouldn't be a huge problem (and the worst cases could always be replaced with new work). B5's FX are even more dated but they're still beautiful to watch despite that (in SD, alas).

CGI Comparison:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It really comes down to cost vs revenue though. They still need to reassemble every episode from scratch and hope that either CBSAA or BD or Netflix revenue offsets that to make it worth adding as a companion to DSC.

10. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Anyway, yeah, HD aside, there's a new Star Trek series going to be watched in just a few months, holy kolker! (PS - "Holy Koler" is a phrase from Peter David's Star Trek novels wherein someone would say "Holy Kolker!" when something happened. It's in the first few pages of "Imzadi". PS - Peter David's novel "Imzadi" is canon. I don't care what anyone says. Yes, you.)

11. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    What do we actually know about Discovery, besides the title, some of the writers and producers and that it's got an ugly as hell ship? I thought we'd have heard more coming out of STLV so far.

12. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    I did read that the ship in the launch trailer may not be the final ship. Apparently, like the CGI, it's more of a prototype. Personally, I'm not that bothered by it. Though, it looks clunky so in Battle I question its mobility ad ability to avoid phaser fire.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah the producers confirmed its not finalized.

We're supposed to get more info this coming week.

Earlier rumors suggested a TUC-TNG era setting, which the lower registry # would support, but it could easily be an older ship either still in service (I think it was dp who speculated it could be a long range scout) or an older ship put back into service (as I speculated, maybe Discovery is literally discovered).

Other speculation was that the registry # could suggest a connection to Section 31.

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope it's post Nemesis. I'm sick and tired of prequel things.

15. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Hmmmm....I wonder who's to blame for the Prequel craze :p

Seriously, TPM is where it all started. Once Star Wars did it, Star Trek did it, then Batman, then James Bond - cue everyone else.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Indiana Jones & the Temple of Doom, Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, Babylon 5: In the Beginning, A Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, Yoshi's Island, Castlevania III...

The PT did popularize the term amongst the masses, however, even if the concept wasn't new.

18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Prequels definitely went more mainstream after Phantom Menace, although they were officially things before that but Big Timey Franchises jumped onto the prequel bandwagon wholesale after Phantom Menace.

I'm digging the notion that it's an old ship that is pulled out of mothballs in a post Romulus expodey time. but, honestly, if it's another freakin' prequel, I may be bothered for, like, a second, and then, screw it, it's a new Star Trek TV series, I'm fine. And if/when an episode pops up with Nick Meyer's name on it, I'm going to be officially giddy (and start looking for Shakespere quotes)

As mentioned, though, big 50 year Star Trek anniversary in Vegas this weekend and NADA. That's annoying.

So I do haves me CraveTV app built into my set (although I haven't bothered to boot it up), and hopefully it exists on the Playstation Store so I'm set, eventually. And Netflix comes pre-installed on almost everything now for those outside North America. But, yikes, what's with this CBS All Access for those in the States? Would it work on PS / X-Box? Only mobile devices? are you basically going to be stuck watching it on computers because finding a CBS All Access app for a TV set isn't possible?

19. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

Disagree in this case. The Trek universe is dotted with times that are well-mapped, with interim periods that are virtually silent (the period between ST:VI and TNG, for instance). That's the time period I'm most interested in.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Depends on how the service functions. If its accessible via web browser that would open up a lot other devices not equipped with the app but I suspect that it'll be mainly computer/mobile at first (until things like TiVo get an update for it, perhaps) and you'll just have to feed it to your TV system via HDMI or chromecast, etc.

21. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    While there aren't many details of the period up until the careers of the TNG crew, we know what didn't happen. And that's the same thing that hobbled Enterprise, another show set in a little-explored period. Everything from the design of the ship (Akiraprise) to the villains ("AS LONG AS THEY CONVENIENTLY DON'T SAY WHO THEY ARE WE CAN HAVE BORG AND FERENGI AND ROMULANS") to its own set limitations ("They don't use transporters because they're afraid of-- ah, **** it. Let's make it exactly like TNG") was a buffet of anachronism and nonsense. Although I don't think Fuller would be as lazy as Berman and Bragga were in keeping the universe consistent, the fact that a TUC-TNG show would have a bunch of limitations would be creatively frustrating.

22. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    I discovered an unsubstantiated rumour about Star Trek: Discovery (no pun intended :p)

According to the rumour, German voice actor Michael Pan has been contacted to record german dubs for Star Trek: Discovery. Michael Pan is the German Standard voice actor for Brent Spiner. He voiced all the characters Spiner played during the course of Trek: Data, Lore, B-4, Dr. Noonien Soong and Dr. Arik Soong.
    Could this mean that either one of those androids or a member of the Soong family appears in Discovery? Just recently Spiner declared that he won't play Data anymore since he's too old now and androids don't age. But he also said that he's open for the possibility of playing someone else from the Soongs.

http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/rumor-brent-spiner-in-discovery.282780/

As I said, very unsubstiantiated given that the rumour apparently originated on Facebook, so please take it with a huge grain of salt. But it is interesting nonetheless.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    He could just be doing voice work for the series unrelated to Spiner being involved. Additionally, it could just be Spiner voicing the new ship's computer (as, unfortunately, this is the first non-KT Trek series since Majel's death).

24. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Doesn't bother me where in the timeline it's set, I'm just glad weekly Star Trek is back. I've heard it's a prequel set before TOS but after ENT. I like that Ralph McQuarries artwork from the 1970's has been used for inspiration of the new ship :)

Jedi Knight Fett and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  25. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    Setting it another century after Nemesis would be my preference, but post-TUC could be interesting too.