main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Fan Fic Pet Peeves?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by alienyouthct, Jul 30, 2002.

1. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Oh yeah. I know what ya mean. I was reading "Ani goes to Jedi Heaven" (note: not actual title) and Yoda was there to guide him. Ani kept saying like "im not ready to see them" & Yoda was like "long forgiven you, they have"

Anyway long story short it ended on a cliffhanger cause the next " room " was filled w/ the younglings!

Im like "Ca'mon!"

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    On a related note, when you come across a 3,500 word, half finished fic you shelved and as you are reading go "OMG! I should finish this and post it", only to get to the end of reading it and go "durp, so where was I going with this?"

3. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I totally relate to that. I have a fic somewhere back deep on my computer's hard drive that's probably somewhere around 10,000 words, but I wrote it years ago, it's not very good and there's basically no way to end it because I wrote myself into a corner, so I don't anyone else will ever see it.

4. s_heffley

s_heffley Chosen One star 7

Jun 7, 2015
    When you are not paying attention to the movie you are watching because you are too busy trying to think of a plot.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    When a story that could have gone on longer, ends prematurely.

If the story was on hiatus for several years from writers block, fine.

But if it had a lot of plot-lines that it safely could have gone on longer, don't wrap it up in a rush or by throwing out plot lines entirely.

Real life is a pain, I get that but ugh.

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Sometimes it is the best thing for the writer's own sanity.

7. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I agree, both as a reader and a writer. If I lose interest in writing a story or hit an unmovable brick wall of writer's block and I don't think I'll ever return, I will give it some sort of conclusion so I can move onto stuff and not have an unfinished - but posted - fic nagging me. It rarely happens to me because I often don't start posting stories until I have a clear plan to end it.

As a reader, I also understand that sometimes an author is just done with a fic, whether from writer's block, real life, or just loss of excitement for the story. I rather have some sort of ending, than to be wondering for years how the story was going to play out. I'm all for giving the brain a break, but, in my experience, people often don't return to finish things after a certain point.

Danifae and Sith-I-5 like this.
  8. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I have seen such stories that went on and on and just...stopped making sense, had open sub-plots that disappeared and I agree with Bri - end it, revisit it someday or whatev'. :)

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah, I think having an end in mind is important when really thinking about a story and getting to the posting stage. "Beating dead horses" is a peeve of mine when it comes to TV series, and I think it can translate into fics as well - knowing when to end a story is really important.

An old peeve of mine has translated into being relevant to this thread: when a person doesn't make concrete plans as to when they want to hang out, so you are left on your couch expecting a text any minute... for two hours. I could have been writing fanfic! I don't like starting to write if I don't know when I'm going to have to stop/not being able to stop when I want to.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  10. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    A peeve of mine came up the other night. It's an RP peeve, but it can be a fanfic peeve as well.

Short version is another RPer was trying to force a smutty ship between their childlike underage character and other players' older adult characters. All the characters were immortal beings and well over 18, but there was a massive age difference between the childlike character (100+ years) and the targets (3000+ and up), and the portrayal of that character as a child was just uncomfortable and disgusting. And the player just didn't understand why we were uncomfortable and telling them to stop.

So, in fanfic terms... no gross pedo ships please.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. If a character is under the age of consent, then no (not surprisingly, RP-ers who force their story lines, particularly inappropriate ones, is why I got out of the past-time).

Also, I was dealing with this last night. When your brain says "I think I'm done writing for tonight", so you shut everything down, and as soon as you close the laptop, your brain goes "oh! this should be the next line! followed by this bit of dialogue!" And before you know it you have half a page scribbled down in the notebook beside your laptop.

TheRynJedi, Glor, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  12. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    I will add fanart to the list of things you should keep gross ships out of, particularly if the show you're basing your art on is aimed at grade schoolers.

I was looking for an animator's reference sheet that I'd seen the other day for my DuckTales/Star Wars fanart when I ran across a fanart picture of Huey kissing Louie.....:eek: For the love of Uncle Scrooge, someone pass me the brain bleach!

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, it's even more uncomfortable to find that in kids' show fandom. The amount of smutty MLP fanart outweighs the official stuff and it just pisses me off. Kids can't safely search for Rainbow Dash without finding a ton of smut. It's disgusting.

And the RP in question was a Steven Universe RP that was based around original Gemsonas. The player also had an underage kid character, whom he age-advanced simply so his underage Gemsona could get laid.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE

Ewok Poet, Raissa Baiard and Gamiel like this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Fully agree, and then there is all the dark and "gritty" stories and art.

Master_Lok, Ewok Poet and TrakNar like this.
  15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    As annoying as grim-and-gritty versions of happy kids' stuff are, compared to the mess the other night, I'd rather deal with My Little Marv: Sin City is Magic.

Master_Lok and Glor like this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Here https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/6092586.html

TrakNar and Raissa Baiard like this.
  17. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    *hands out brain bleach for everyone* I'm glad that I don't do too many image searches now or I would need so much more brain bleach than I have on hand and not be able to share.

TrakNar and Gamiel like this.
  18. Grade

Grade Jedi Master star 1

Jan 17, 2013
    I was on the other day searching on pinterest for character ideas (images from Models, Movies, tv Series, drawings...). I came across some stuff that really gross me out, that i closed the tab altogether. To worse my situation family members were in the room, two under aged children. Luckily I was quick enough. :( Do you imagine if opened pinterest for design ideas at work and that image popsup? I think pinterest needs to keep a closer look on that stuff. I'm sticking for time being with images from the movies and tv series and artwork (google search with filters on) for character ideas.

As for the dark and gritty stories. I'm somewhat a bit tired of that. I want a fun and adventure story. I have no problem with little drama, like Scarlet Witch at the beginning of the movie Civil War. The Dark Knight trilogy, was kind of fun trilogy, but at the beginning of the third movie I was beginning to get little tired. I prefer the dark and gritty of Batman's Tim Burton (the first two, the rest are just silly). I'm kind of a shame that Tim Burton's superman never came to be. :(

As more and more I search for fun and adventurer films I see that my writing shows little inclined for that area. I don't mean I will not touch "dark" or "gritty", i think the death of character done well as more meaningful then a world with that setting. A death well done in a story It can have very powerful punch in the stomach. If character dies just because, kills my enjoyment of the book. LotF and Vong Series were key to loose my interest in Star Wars books. To this day, I have couple of books from the new timeline and hadn't the courage to read them.

Jedi_Lover and Gamiel like this.
  19. Hopefulwriter

Hopefulwriter Jedi Master star 3

Jan 6, 2016
    My fan fic pet peeve is the use of gross profanity....be creative with swear words...they are
    to be FROM A GALAXY FAR, FAR AWAY.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  20. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Sticking the Landing.
    I have all sorts of ideas rattling in my head. Scenes, characters, events. Plenty of stuff that might make a great first half of a story. But the second half, the resolution...

21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Are you talking about fics on another site with real profanity or are you talking about gross GFFA profanity? Kriff, stang, frack, or di'kut?

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. For me, I often have the beginning and the end, but nothing in-between.

New peeve: going away and taking a total break from fanfic, expecting to come back refreshed and full of ideas (it has happened to me before), only to come back and realize you muse is somehow even more dead than it was when you left.

TheRynJedi, TrakNar and leiamoody like this.
  23. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Having an idea for a story, then almost immediately seeing something very close in the news, and worrying that you'll be accused of bad taste, when you thought of your concept first.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014

Inventing those words is something I like a lot. I should post my swear word list at some point. :D

Master_Lok likes this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    :ben: Yes, you should :ben:

Also have you read the Lando Adventure stories? Rather creative swearing in it.

Master_Lok likes this.