main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Feedback on forum's new look

Discussion in 'Communications' started by WebLurker, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

There used to be a secret hovertext message on certain parts of the banner, related to Yarael Poof.
    You can still see it on archives of the temp boards, with the Empire-focussed banner.

Shira A'dola and jcgoble3 like this.
  2. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

I actually didn't know who created it, much less that there was a contest for it. I just logged on and saw it and liked it, so I started this mainly to say that I liked it, and it turned into a conversation.

Dranem and Ananta Chetan like this.
  3. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    That would be Dranem. :)

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  4. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Hello! I am the one who "slapped that together". I appreciate the feedback, but that winning entry really wasn't my first choice either. My earlier entries tried to play with color a bit more and I had one cohesive color palette that I called Sunsets but it just never got traction:

[​IMG]

I really do appreciate the feedback, but its something I really wish I had earlier in the process. I and the other artist would submit multiple banners (usually in very rough shape) to get opinions and feedback but there just wasn't much to go on. A few have pointed out the Mace Windu-colored lightsaber on Obi-Wan and I intend to fix that this morning with a color correction and send it in to replace the banner hopefully. :)

I have been a graphic/web designer for almost 15 years now and my favorite medium is cartooning and Photoshop. The contest was fun but it seemed like more critical eyes would have helped and I totally agree with some of the comments about my piece. This isn't "art" in the traditional sense, but I hope you know I and many others put a lot of our own free time into this at no charge. If you would like to see some of my art, here is a piece I did during one of our blizzards here in Colorado that I have hanging in my office:

[​IMG]

5. Dranem

Oct 31, 2012
    And just one more note if anyone is curious, the fades in between each section are meant to be reminiscent of the screen wipes George Lucas was always so fond of.

J7Luke and jcgoble3 like this.
  6. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Trust me I understand, having made many JC banners myself. I know how much time and effort goes into these things. I also know what it's like to get praise and criticism, so I did not comment in this thread in a cavalier fashion. I tried to be constructive and specific in my criticisms, so it might be of value. I always tried to value the criticisms and suggestions people made to me, as I know how frustrating it can be to just get a bunch of people saying "nice" things with no real feedback in them. Positivity is great but it doesn't always help the creative process. Kudos to you for not only putting your work out there, but being willing to critique it yourself and respond to the critiques of others. I hope mine did not offend or upset at all. It was only meant to provide feedback.

[face_peace]

7. Dranem

Oct 31, 2012

Not at all, I have a thick skin in the line of work I do and am used to criticism. I just want people to know that these weren't haphazardly thrown together as you know (even the stick figure one probably had some interesting composition thought processes :) ). My main point is that feedback, both good and bad, is appreciated but man we could have used it back when the contest was open! I only come to the site once a week and noticed the contest in the top banner carousel each time.

Hopefully the next banner competition gets some more entries AND feedback. It would be neat to freshen it up more often.

jcgoble3 and EHT like this.
  8. Shira A'dola

Shira A'dola Jedi Master star 6

Sep 4, 2012
    This is true. By way of likes (only counting the serious submissions), one of Admiral Volshe's banners would have won. Or if we're disqualifying that one because of the Yarael Poof inclusion, PadmeLeiaJaina's submission would have been second. So I would have to agree with Volshe in that the banner vote should go to the community rather than being decided by the mods. I mean, we all have to see the banner for an undetermined amount of time. I think the whole community should have a part in deciding which banner we choose.

This isn't a knock on Dranem. It's just a factual observation and my two cents on the matter.

jcgoble3 and Dranem like this.
  9. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Nice alternate banner.

Was the AT-AT piece a Photoshop project?

10. Dranem

Oct 31, 2012

Yeah I do a piece like that at least once a week or so for fun. The AT-AT is still my favorite Star Wars vehicle ever.

11. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Yeah, it's a cool machine, although my favorite vehicles are the Falcon and the Ghost.

Dranem likes this.
  12. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    I noticed the announcement banners, but never noticed THAT message. I used to try designing banners back when we could donate our own avatar designs, so I might have had a go, or at least looked in.

13. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    Hey, now there's a Rogue One-themed banner. Are we starting to cycle through different ones now, or is this some kind of limited duration thing?

Also, there's now an ad for a "Justice Comics Forum," but it doesn't seem to link anywhere or come up on a google search. What is that all about?

14. Dranem

Oct 31, 2012

I'm thinking this might having something to do with today's date... :)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  15. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Oh, yeah, forgot about the day. Well, it's a nice banner anyways. Shame if the comics forum is just a joke. I'm not a big comic book guy, but it looked like cool place to visit and post on.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    We do have a few comic book and comic film threads in Community that might be up your alley.

17. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016

Okay, I'll check it out. Thanks.

18. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Dranem, congrats on winning. I don't mind the new banner save for the purple lightsabers. Is there anyway for you to color correct them and then provide that new banner to the mods to replace the current one?

19. Dranem

Oct 31, 2012

Yes I already did the color correction and sent it in about a week ago, should be up soon I suppose.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  20. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I'm very happy you saw fit to include a hailfire droid in the banner, seeing is TCW decided to forget they exist. You have no idea how troubled I was for all those years... waiting... endlessly... a Sisyphian task... never to see a single hailfire droid. Now I get one every day.

Small joys.

21. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Admins: Any update on getting this corrected banner uploaded?

Shira A'dola likes this.
  22. siha

siha Jedi Master star 2

Feb 28, 2013
    I feel like maybe we should wait a respectful amount of time after Prince's passing before removing the purple.

23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Is everyone done mourning Prince? Can we get the color corrected banner, please?

24. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Can't say that I noticed any change. Was this only in a particular forum?

25. Dranem

Oct 31, 2012

I'm seeing the correct version now. Is the image cached on your browser perhaps?