main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Westworld series by J.J. Abrams and Johnathan Nolan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Hunger Games meets Game of Thrones meets the Quick and the Dead?

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Just to touch on this a bit, and I'm pretty sure I've said it somewhere else on the boards, but the 1-2 combo of some of the Person of Interest series finale and then the Game of Thrones season finale shortly thereafter may be one of the greatest personal accomplishments in TV composing history. Two totally different, and absolutely sublime, pieces of work.

Granted, PoI had been in the can for like a year by that point, but still! :p

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  3. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Great. This just proves how unoriginal JJ is.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Or how good he is at resurrecting dead franchises!

5. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    After Person of Interest, I have high expectations for Jonathan Nolan's Westworld.

BigAl6ft6, True Sith and jabberwalkie like this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    TMN has the OG Westworld onDemand for Canadian viewers (where Westworld is going to air on HBO Canada). Definitely going to give that a watch before Sunday. Never seen it before (unless you count Jurassic Park and/or Itchy and Scratchy Land) Yul Brenner as a robot cowboy! Apparently there's a sequel, Futureworld, which I think I'll make a pass on.

Anyway, according to the first post in this thread, the project was announced in August 2013 so basically been waiting for this for over 3 years!

TX-20 likes this.
  7. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001

Star Trek wasn't dead....maybe beaten up and on life support but definitely not dead.
    And Star Wars was only dead as far as the movies go before TFA.

TX-20 likes this.
  8. Abadacus

Abadacus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2014
    Star Trek just needed to be in the hands of someone who actually understood what made it successful in the first place (hint: it wasn't angsty bad-boys and punching).
    Star Wars... is a bit more complicated, but at a basic level, likewise needed someone who actually understood the OT, rather than someone who would imitate an exaggerated and superficial impression of it.
    Abrams doesn't resurrect franchises, he smothers them in their hospital beds, then wears their skin to con their families.
    One thing is clear:
    Abrams, Nolan, and Westworld together will collapse into a singularity of awfulness which will consume the Earth. At least it'll be over quickly.

gezvader28 and CT-867-5309 like this.
  9. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    In other words, the situation is hopeless, but not serious.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note for UK folks that this premieres on Tuesday Oct 4 on Sky Atlantic (Sky channel 108) from 9-10:20 PM.

soitscometothis likes this.
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Only dorks gave a crap about it, so dead.
    Only dorks gave a crap about it, so dead.

jp-30 likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Trekkies are the worst.

(hides all of his ST mags)

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Yep. Agree.

*hides Star Trek encyclopedia, you know, that one with the ships flying out at you from the cover*

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    But which edition?

[​IMG]

15. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    That blue one there!

But, wait, I don't know what you're talking about. lol trekkies

16. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I think I have the pink version somewhere in the flat.However, I also have a complete set of the ST Fact Files that were published here in the UK some time ago (as well as the SW ones..)

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Abrams is a hack, but isn't he only producing this series? I have enjoyed Bad Robot productions that he did not fully control such as 10 Cloverfield Lane (though apparently he was responsible for the title and ending which were the worst parts) and 11 22 63.

18. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Afaik he's only an EP, and Nolan (along with his wife iirc) are producing as well. Fwiw, he had limited control on Person of Interest which iirc Nolan had more control in, and while I think you could make an argument that part of season 3 (vigilance and other tangential plots) led to its demise, it definitely told a complete story.

I think Nolan and his wife were co writers for the pilot, and not sure if he directed and episode or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    J.J. even said he was very minimally involved with POI. He composed the opening theme for it, but he had very little to do with it overall, even for an EP I think. He definitely never directed an episode.

TX-20 likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Watched the original Westworld movie yesterday, pretty nifty. Although it takes about 55 minutes for the robots to officially go "kill all humans" but it's great when it does (hopefully happens somewhat earlier here). In the original, there's 2 other worlds, a Medieval World and a Roman World but I doubt that'll be in the show. Decent atonal musical score for when the robots get murderous. Yul Brenner as the Gunslinger is great for being real low key (and it's a nice contrast to his role in something like Magnificent Seven), and you can kind of see a lot of the influence of Westworld that had on Terminator, specifically the final bits with the killer robot. One thing that does come through in the movie, and hopefully will in the TV series, izzat they're using people (kinda, okay robots) as murder-cattle (kinda, okay they can't die) and the flesh and blood folks can't see the dehumanizing effect that their fantasies have. Until the robots decide to kill them all. Hopefully that is a thing here.

21. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Well, John (James Brolin), who's a repeat visitor, doesn't care, but Peter (Richard Benjamin), a first-timer, is disturbed, though he does get into it later. And they both realize they're in very, very big trouble when the Gunslinger starts shooting for real.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Well, holy ****. That ended up being better than I thought it was going to be for a pilot/premier. Lots of moving parts.
    Black Hole Sun on the piano, then later Paint it Black and the associated sequence were some nice touches. The code phrase that programmer used, was a nice touch.
    I look forward to seeing how the season develops.
    Wondering how far into the season we are going to have to go until the androids revolt.

BigAl6ft6 and TX-20 like this.
  23. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    It kept me engaged the whole time so mission accomplished

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Apart from Anthony Hopkins, they're all androids. That's my wild prediction.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Yeah I definitely got that BSG vibe. The Cylons are everywhere.