main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Westworld series by J.J. Abrams and Johnathan Nolan

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Aug 31, 2013.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk is going be his first significant film without Johnathan Nolan, who was working on Westworld at the time. I have a pet theory that the true genius of the Nolan brothers is really Jonathan Nolan (Wrench in that theory: Memento is one of my favourite Nolan films and Christopher Nolan is the sole screenwriter but the concept was originally Johnathan Nolan's). Maybe it's true!

2. StarKiller81

StarKiller81 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2014
    Is that why Memento and Inception suck so much?.........

3. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Ah, snap, Jonathan Nolan isn't a writer on Inception (Memento is based on his story). He is a Producer, Inception though. And he's a producer on Dunkirk too.

Like I said, pet theory. I ain't exactly married to it.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    HBO have released episode 2. It's there, staring me in the face in my HBO app on my phone. Work or Westworld.....

5. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Westworld tonight! My wife will be very pleased.

6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    This one Diggy?
    http://baldmove.com/westworld/101-the-original/

Diggy likes this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, that's the one.

8. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Just started episode two. Is that Christopher Nolan playing the guest? The guy looks really familiar.

9. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Dangit, is it on HBOGo already in the US? We don't get it till Sunday nite.

10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Are you talking about Jimmi Simpson? He's the one creepy brother in It's Always Sunny.

Fun fact: He's graduated from Bloomsburg University (not sure what year, but I graduated from there in 2003). While going to school he was a pizza delivery boy from the local pizza place called Naps.

BigAl6ft6 and Ezio Skywalker like this.
  11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Watching Ep 1, that is a fantastic Rolling Stones cover during the big shootout.

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Three times we see flies on the Hosts.

In Lord Of The Flies we have a pig on a stick with flies all over it; the decay of humanity. And we certainly see that here where going evil was the best 2 weeks of his life, Guests doing to Hosts as they wish. "Lord of the Flies" is also a title for Lucifer, "Hell is empty all the devils are here" indeed. Lucifer also meaning enlightenment; the Hosts are becoming aware...and the nice swatting of the fly at the end. I wonder then if Hopkins is in the role of God or Lucifer as it was his update that started this rebellion.

Anyway, fun show. I'll keep up with it.

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Second ep was absolutely fantastic. They are not reading us with morsels, but with chunks.

TX-20 and Rylo Ken like this.
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Man, I'm already addicted to this show and can't wait for the next episode. I think HBO has done well to find their big new show finally after a number of failures.

True Sith, TX-20, BigAl6ft6 and 2 others like this.
  15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    What's in the maze? What's the new storyline with the black cross? Is there a hatch?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    The black steeple absolutely reminded me of the hatch.

Coruscant likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    FTFM.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  18. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015

QFTAMFMXMSAT1AUX

Diggy likes this.
  19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The Man in Black is probably going to find his robot Truman in the middle of the maze.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Just watched the first two episodes....wow. This show could actually be better than Game of Thrones. It's been some time since I've seen the original movie, but I remember it being more horror-themed, whereas this one delves deeper into the ethics of robotics. It's taking Crichton's techno-thriller formula and swaddling it in a thick, comfy layer of Asimov.

That black cross threw me for a loop. At first glance, I thought it was an oil derrick. Westworld's map actually has "OIL FIELDS" on it, but is currently inactive.
    https://discoverwestworld.com/#explore

jp-30 likes this.
  21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    It's the top of a church, with a town buried below the surface.

jp-30 likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Really dug this episode, the two guys visiting the park at the start of the ep seem very similar to the two guys visiting the park in the movie and seemed like an intentional callback (one is a vet, the other one is a newbie). Maybe this was something that was in the pilot and then got moved to episode 2 instead? Only 2 episodes in and you can tell they're going to have a pretty sprawling multi-character storyline happening across the Westworld. Also more Radiohead "No Surprises" was the old-timey song on the piano in this episode. I kind of loved the moment when the two programmers were asking "Why do they talk to each other?" and it's a way for the Hosts to figure out how to interact with the Guests but it's having some really bad glitches.

As for the Man in Black, to me he feels like a elite player who has already "beat" the game and now he's going down trying to find this "maze" which seems, in gamer terminology, he's trying to get all of the unlockables / Platinum Trophy Achievements. And since the robot kid told him directly, this does seem to be a part of Westworld's narrative, some deep sublevel stuff that was probably programmed at the top.

I was wondering a bit how Westworld works in "gameplay", it seems that every day it "resets" again so if a guest was saying overnight, they'd basically start Day 1 again but could go off in a different direction instead.

TX-20 and SithSense like this.
  23. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002
    So basically, he's this guy:

[​IMG]

24. SithSense

Sep 29, 2002

I assumed the scenarios varied by day.
    Day 1: The Sheriff is recruiting a posse to go into the hills and invites the players to come along.
    Day 2: Recruiting for the US Cavalry/Union Army inviting players to go fight Confederates (at least I'm guessing, as their pitch was about fighting for freedom.... a bit anachronistic for the old west, but Anthony Hopkins did talk about using a bit of creative license, like having the Hosts quote Gertrude Stein)

And then there are the side quests, like the one-eyed prospector who tells the person who helps him about a hidden treasure.

25. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    I'm not so sure about that. In the premier it had the sheriff recruiting two days in a row. Now, that may have been because no one went the first day and it just recycles until the quest is started.