main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Fenn Rau

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Jan 27, 2016.

1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I like Rau. It's good to see more Mandalorian factions, especially one that is a warrior faction that is in opposition to the Death Watch.

Darth Basin likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I wonder how many factions were around before the death watch take over?

whostheBossk and Darth Basin like this.
  3. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    As of now, the pacifists, and the protectors, so three including death watch.

4. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Resurrected this thread since Rau's making a return on this Saturday. We now know also that Gar Saxon is Viceroy of Mandalore, meaning that Rau and his men's positional place as bodyguard to Mandalore (as per Pablo Hidalgo) has been rendered moot by an Imperial appointment. Maybe we'll see Rau explain some more about Mandlorain traditions vs. Imperial occupation?

5. revan772

revan772 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2014
    Also we are getting an action figure of him! :D

6. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    The pacifists might be gone since Maul and now the Empire took over

Darth Basin likes this.
  7. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Nah, I imagine the pacification made the Mandalorians softer and easier to control. Maul and The Empire would've loved them the way they are.

8. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    There's some question as to just how uniform the pacifism of the New Mandalorians was; Satine seems to have been as close to an absolute pacifist as you could possibly get in Star Wars, but even she employed people willing to use violence in self-defense. The New Mandalorian political movement may have been defined less by an absolute adherence to pacifism and more to a general political concensus towards stability and peacetime, a new experience for a people who got their homeworld turned into a desert through their belligerents and split another apart with their own fighting.

And while the signs seem to point to Fenn Rau and his Protectors being in de-facto exile during the New Mandalorian rule, it's not implied they fought against such a sanction. Considering Fenn's employment by the Republic, he and his men may very well have been on the winning side of the Mandalorian Civil War that Satine survived, and acquiesced to the New Mandalorian government's pacifistic policy by voluntarily going abroad into the Galaxy rather than forsake their traditions. It would be explain why the Protectors have all the hallmarks of being a Praetorian Guard in their history but seem to not have been involved in any of the Clone Wras conflicts on Mandalore, and why Concord Dawn is their headquarters; they accepted the legitimacy of Satine's government, but were recognized as seperate form that government's control.

This is the kind of stuff I really want to see; some explanation and exploration about how such a powerful people as the Mandalorians are disseminated across the Galaxy. They seem to clearly be a power in the Galaxy, considering their possible hegemony over the neutral systems in the Clone Wars, and Saxon's place as a powerful native collaborator seems to show they're still nominally more independent than places like Lothal, but they've got a history for schismatic fighting.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    My question is what type of ****** super weapon destroys only half a planet? :p

Anyway I like your idea about the protectors not being to mad about the pacifist having control of Mandalore.

Darth Basin and rumsmuggler like this.
  10. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    A true Mandalorian.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Lol what?

Darth Basin likes this.
  12. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The Star Trek fan in me wants to say it wasn't an example of intentionally firing a weapon to try and wipe out an enemy; more likely something blew up that wasn't supposed to, like a resource they were mining or a weapons depot. The Mandalorians seem more likey to favor the idea of conquering an opponent than wiping them out, considering the Death Watch's propensity for taking prisoners and the likelihood that the Republic scouring Mandalore was actually effective in subduing them a bit. Mandalorians are warriors, but warriors need some,thing to fight over, after all.

And speaking of past Mandalorian conflicts, I'd love to see some exploration of The Great Clan War, especially since it seems to have slotted into where the Mandalorian Civil War was in the old Legends/EU timeline. It'd be interesting to see just how much House Viszla's Death Watch resembled the original variation we saw, and if there was any counterpart to the True Mandalorians.

Darth Basin likes this.
  13. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    You never heard of the true Mandalorians?

Jedi Knight Fett and Darth Basin like this.
  14. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    My head canon Mandos look battle scared & ruff. Not super pretty like Sabine! Sabine needs a cool scar running down her face!

rumsmuggler I've heard of them. I should of said "An ugly a Mando is a real Mando."

rumsmuggler likes this.
  15. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Sabine's only 18. She's still got a lot of life left in her, and a lot more to experience. She'll get her battle scars someday.

Darth Basin likes this.
  16. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015
    Scars are hot!

17. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I gotcha.

Jedi Knight Fett and Darth Basin like this.
  18. Ed_Fett_77

Ed_Fett_77 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 19, 2015
    True.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The New Mandalorians exiled all their warriors to their moon Concordia where they were said to have died out years before Kenobi arrived to investigate the rumors of Satine switching sides to the Separatists. Secretly Vizsla was building a small militia and insurgent terrorists out've them from there as he ruled over it was governor. Death Watch at that point was basically dismissed as posers and hooligans trying to resurrect the old warrior ways of the past.

Vizsla never could directly challenge Satine and her regime largely because he lacked numbers(he would've needed the backing of the Separatist army), and largely more importantly he could not hold onto it because of the people's support. The Death Watch regime led by Maul was a plan very Sith in fabrication, since Tyranus and Sidious devised a similar plan of having the Senate vote to have Republic troops occupy Mandalore in response to rumors of Satine building an army to fight for the Separatists along with Mandalore being framed for acts of war against the Republic . The Republican presence was supposed to occupy Mandalore.

The Republic occupation which was supposed to allow the Death Watch to gain the support of Mandalore's populace and liberating them from the Republic. The whole idea of the military presence would be that the foreign Republic military occupation was to ensure that the people would find that distasteful, and they would rebel, would rally to Death Watch and Vizsla's insurgency would thus grow stronger and completely eradicate Satine and her ways from the minds , society & culture of these New Mandalorian people. If you exchange Republic for now Empire, basically the same idea is apparently present on Rebels. But now instead of a Separatist puppet agent of Dooku's, we have Gar Saxon as the puppet Sidious, the Empire stationed and ruling Mandalore could cause a revolt like planned, but now against the Empire that is basically the Republic/Separatists rolled into one.

Maul through Almec militarized Mandalore . Satine and her people who could not defend themselves against the Pyke and Black Sun invasion and hence Maul's scheme of using Death Watch as liberators and saviors precisely because they're trained full time battle warriors and had the weapons, training and willpower to get things done right. Satine had her small security force and she had the protection of the Republic and the Jedi and the people largely enjoyed her rule - presumably because of the comforts and luxuries of peace and the economy was good. Death Watch would need the population for recruits which is similar to what the Empire does but the Empire is more direct conscription. Death Watch only numbered around 5,000 or so warriors, that isnt a enough manpower for a galaxy wide struggle and war against the Separatists and Republic. Almec was charged by Maul with leading Mandalore back to its warrior heritage as Prime Minister and he would've been held responsible for the failures of the people. Maul like Death Watch wanted warriors and return to that militarized society and to remove the memory of Satine and her regime. SOD also confirms Maul's stance which is aligned to the goals of Death Watch, which is war and conquest and fighting to the death where its victory or death. Maul also referred to them as brothers.

Bo-Katan's main issue with Maul was because he killed the man she apparently loved , and she would not of been number two anymore and Maul was a foreigner ruling over Mandalore which was her public outburst. Her and her Death Watch/Nite Owl loyalists basically followed her and whatever cult of personality that Vizsla still maintained among them. But her warriors were a small band and apparently needed some New Mandalorians to aid them in breaking out Satine as they couldnt do it on their own and later she aids Kenobi precisely to bring in the Republic military that would overwhelm Death Watch and Maul and basically dethrone him- but of course it turns out to be the Empire and the Emperor to be the true bigger evil something that she was oblivious to but Maul warned her - "Unfortunately for you, history will not see it that way."

I would imagine Rau and his men to be basically Bo-Katan allies that no longer affiliated under the Death Watch name or brand, where they fit into TCW's narrative is unknown because they weren't invented yet.

20. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Can I just say how much I like Fenn Rau and the Protectors? I like this group because they're loyal to each other and have a great sense of honor compared to the other groups we've seen. I was sad to see them go, but at least we still have Rau. Seeing him put on that helmet in the episode was sort of sad to me, I hope we see him rebuild the group.

21. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    I'd bet anything Rau starts training Sabine as one his new Protectors.

Darth Basin and Sandtrooper956 like this.
  22. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    That combined with her incoming saber training is going to make her a force to be reckoned with. Honestly at this rate I'm not sure how much better she can get.

Darth Basin likes this.
  23. Darth Basin

Aug 15, 2015

I guess you can call Sabine his "Journeyman" Protector!

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I mean what special training could he provide?

Darth Basin likes this.
  25. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    I don't know, what kind of training could a Green Beret provide a standard infantryman?

Rau is the leader of what are supposed to be the elite warriors of Mandalore, and now has a young, gifted warrior to mold.

Maybe Sabine was never taught how to use her gauntlets properly? I imagine Rau likely does.

Darth Basin and revan772 like this.