main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel Trilogy MUSIC

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth Downunder, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    TPM I think had the best score, or tied with ESB.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  2. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I love all of them, it's like trying to choose children, but I would easily put TESB and TPM at the top of the list. After that, ANH, then ROTS, ROTJ and AOTC. Mind, this is only the soundtracks as a whole. It would be a far more difficult task to try and rank actual tracks.

Negotiator1138 likes this.
  3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Revenge of the Sith. "Duel of fates" is better than "Battle of heroes" but ROTS wouldn't hold near the impact without its music. Moody contemplative tracks to operatic bravado and tinges of darkness and depression. Its great. After that probably moments of ESB, TPM and especially the climax of ROTJ are all epic. All SW soundtracks tbh.

4. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    A couple new tracks from good old FSM, he also plans to post more from ROTS in the near future:

First up, Revisiting Padme, from when Anakin meets with Padme at the Senate and she reveals her pregnancy:

The short piece Hold Me plays when Anakin and Padme discuss the war, and "Hold me, like you did by the lake on Naboo.":

Anakin Crawling, from when Palpatine rescues Anakin's burnt remains, to Obi-Wan's arrival at Polis Massa:

This version of Birth of the Twins includes the full opening from when Palpatine and Vader arrive at the medical building on Coruscant, and adds the ending when the Vader mask is finally lowered:

Padme's Funeral theme has been found before, but here it is again:

5. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    New tracks:

Drawing Swords, plays when Grievous uncloaks and pulls out his sabers. It's only 12 seconds long, and the next section is simply a pitch-shifted version of I am the Senate! with a drums layer:

However, FSM has also posted a slightly lower quality film mix, with all the music from the duel to the force push:

Darth Downunder likes this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Great music.

SW Oxygen just completed their RotS analysis the other day. Well worth checking out.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  7. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015

Mannn I'm so many episodes behind on them. It's one of the few Podcasts I've listened to pretty religiously, and I love the guy who knows his stuff (David Collins also sorta reminds me a lot of Ben Burtt in the way he talks about the music) but OMG is Jimmy Mac difficult to listen to, I can't stand him. Especially that episode where he kept doing the Sith whisper-chant. I wanted to slap his microphone away from him.

I think the last entry I listened to was one or two prior to the TFA release, so... definitely some catching up to do.

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    [face_laugh] I know what you mean. I felt that way for a long time, now he's kinda grown on me.

9. seventhbeacon

Dec 3, 2015
    I just spent the last ten minutes downloading the podcasts I hadn't listened to yet. And yeah, it's like, I hate to rag on someone who put together a show that speaks right to my heart in analyzing Williams' amazing music, I just... I have an issue with like, radio jockeys and sportscasters, where they have this odd need to fill dead air with words and can go one for minutes talking without really saying a damn thing, you know? It's exhausting. Also, it felt like he was out of his element. I'm no proper student of music in any sense, but sometimes he just didn't seem to have a clue what he was talking about. Anyway, regardless, I'm glad he helped make this podcast happen.

I'm also shocked that they're just now finishing ROTS when I thought that would have been done a year ago. There appears to be a lot of tangential podcasts over the past year! They still sound awesome, though. I just love the analysis, and drawing lines to things that I've noticed over the years, and even better the things I never caught!

I was listening to the TFA soundtrack again the other day after quite a while, and it's still just so exquisite that it baffles me that people were ragging on it for being a weaker score when I find it as rich as the other six.

10. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    Fun fact: David Collins voiced a stormtrooper in TFA.

The thing with their ROTS breakdown is that they got too caught up in analyzing extraneous things (like the TFA trailer music...which wasn't even Williams) and ended up not finishing ROTS before TFA came out. And by then, everyone wanted to hear podcasts about TFA so they essentially put ROTS on hold for an entire year lol. But yeah I just listened to their latest one and I never realized how many ANH references there are, especially in the credits. And people often get hyped about Imperial March sightings, but I get the most chills when I hear renditions of Leia's theme.

Regarding the TFA score, what I've read a lot is that people were underwhelmed with it in the actual movie, but then loved it once they listened to it on its own. I think the reason is that Williams didn't compose the TFA score in the same way that he did scores in the Lucas era (which was to watch a near final cut of the movie, & then compose the entire score in just a couple months). Instead, TFA itself was made in a more modern way where Williams would compose music scene by scene, but then the edit would constantly change (because, well, digital movie-making allows for that) and so there would be a lot of rewrites. Basically, Williams didn't get a chance to watch a near final cut of the movie before starting work on his score and therefore couldn't write music that "built" towards the finale, as he liked to do on other Star Wars films.

Additionally, I have this theory that he also composed his music in TFA to be more "flexible" since he knew that there would be a lot of changes in the edit; this resulted in music that was less married to the visuals and more easily mold-able to suit various purposes. And finally, there's a modern trend of directors these days not really letting the music be noticed in their movies. So given this modern tendency, maybe it's possible that JJ constructed his scenes (either consciously or subconsciously) such that the music took more of a backseat? Of course, I speak only in comparison to previous Star Wars movies. Compared to lots of movies these days, there were many moments in TFA where the music took on a prominent & noticeable role. Rey's theme was the most prominent, and the one I liked the most.

oierem likes this.
  11. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I just found out today that the normal version of the TPM soundtrack (not the ultimate edition) has a bunch of unused tracks and extended versions in it!

While I love the Ultimate edition (it's all the music in the film, that's better than most films get), it does feel overly edited at times, and it's nice to finally have a few extra tracks. I wish that TPM, and the other 2 PT films could get the same treatment as the OT, that just have basically all the music William's composed, in the right order, as they were composed.

I've been editing tracks for hours, trying to create 'complete' versions. It's annoying at times, due to the differences between the tracks, and figuring out where the unused stuff was meant to play. There's a nice version of Duel of the Fates used in the Panaka and the Queen's Protectors track, that I'm pretty sure was intended to play as the ships engage the vulture droids, and I just could not find a way to edit it in nicely with the Ultimate version.

This version of Anakin defeats Sebulba was reused in AOTC when Mace leaps away from Jango's fire into the arena and the droids run out!

And I though that the normal version was worthless.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  12. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    My attempts to merge the full unused tracks from the standard soundtrack with the remaining full version of the tracks from the Ultimate Edition:

Huttese 101 and Subtext Mining like this.
  13. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I made 2 more 'combination' videos:

The editing on this one is a bit rough, and ends up being a bit repetitive (just like the end of every Lego Star Wars level ;) ) though the way I worked it out does disguise the awkward transition of the end of the Panaka and the Queen's Protectors section:

I also uploaded the film version of The Parade, that is weirdly different on both soundtrack releases:

Huttese 101 and Subtext Mining like this.
  14. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    The ultimate edition is awful. Looped, chopped up, edited music. Barf. Fan edits of the complete scores are what should have been released to begin with.

15. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
  16. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    No sooner than I attempted to create a Republic Pilots Take Off Into Space combination version, Filmscore media has come out with the full original version of the track:

He's also posted the original version of the Gungan march, which was replaced in the final film. I do prefer the film version, but this is still an interesting track:

17. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Starting the series now. Thanks for alerting me to their presence.

18. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Seeing as my Sound Card is uniformly terrible, I have a public request for the community.

I want to attempt a rescore for a couple of tracks from the PT. I can edit the footage fine, and have the music.

Due to my bad sound card, I can't actually capture the footage I need from the films, without the sound quality being terrible.

So I need someone to capture some specific footage for me, with some overlap at the start and finish so that I can edit them nicely. I don't need any edits done to the clips, I just need them clean and decent quality. I will, of course, credit anyone who can provide me with the clips.

The clips I want are:

TPM: Jar-Jar's intro scene - From about "Tis demanded by the Gods it is!" to just after Jar-Jar's flip into the water.
    TPM: Anakin Defeats Sebulba - From Anakin's malfunction to the end of the race. Might be a bit harder to to having to overlay over existing music.
    TPM: The Republic Pilots Take Off Into Space - From the battle in the hangar to the first cut back to the droid battle. Another overlay, so might be a bit harder for me.
    TPM: The Army Emerges - From OOM-9's cease fire to the activation of the droids.
    TPM: Up the Wire - From when Padme blasts out the windows to the cut away from her group.
    ROTS: The Elevator Scene - From the Droidekas arriving to the lift reaching the top of the command spire.

That's about it for now, I could try the Arena scene in AOTC, but someone else tried that recently and the video was taken down. If anyone else knows any unused sections of score I'd be happy to try them too. So if anyone has any editing skills, I'd be very grateful if they could help. :)

A separate question for a Mod, where would a good place to post these once they're done be? Just the PT music thread, or somewhere else?

19. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Wagner is rolling in his grave.

20. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014

My first attempt a rescore. The opening doesn't quite match the film, but it's close enough.

The source audio isn't the highest quality, but it's the best I could get.

The rest of the music seems to fit pretty well with the visuals, though the ending feels a bit muted.

A few more TPM videos will be coming soon.

21. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    I've uploaded 3 new TPM videos:

This will be it for now, there aren't any other major scenes I can think of other than the AOTC arena scene that I could easily insert music. Unless anyone has any ideas?

22. Subtext Mining

Subtext Mining Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2016
    Alright, I just got the Phantom Menace Ultimate Edition soundtrack. What recommendations do you experts have as for what I need to supplement the album?

23. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    Filmscoremedia has posted a wealth of material cut from the film:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0dqWRYwKNGdyr2GEB-m3mH8DVPjFAvhK

I'd also recommend a couple of 'combination' tracks I myself made by editing together the basic and ultimate soundtracks together, that aren't covered by FSM:

(The above track is a little off I've learnt, as the first 23 seconds was, as far as I can tell, actually originally intended to play when Qui-Gon saves Jar-Jar from being run over, so is slightly in the wrong place. FSM's track 'The Droid Invasion' has the piece in the right place, though I think his version of the actual Invasion part is cut down a bit.)

(This one combines the full scene of music, with both the unused and film versions of Darth Maul's appearance in the Theed hangar.)

(The Gungans Retreat is also present in FSM's tracks as the original Anakin Defeats Sebulba, but only plays in the film after the Shield is knocked out in the battle.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1d2E_s9BMVM&list=PLEtVbo8oKTgpqO2WiUy4ga3MskW4AYoNa&index=8

Those are all the videos I've made that haven't been superseded by superior FSM tracks later. Parts of my tracks overlap with FSM's, and both of ours probably clash with some of the UE tracks, so you'll have to be careful when sorting them all together.

Subtext Mining likes this.
  24. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Sorry, I meant to post this months and months ago, but, while I don't know of a lot of direct musical references to the prequels, besides maybe what theMaestro pointed out, there are a few tracks that sound pretty conspicuously similar. Whether this is intentional or Williams was accidentally reusing keys, chords, tempos and arrangements, I don't know.

I remember these two were pointed out pretty early after TFA's release in December 2015:

The similarities are pretty obvious. No idea if it's intentional, but it was early fuel for the "Snoke is Plagueis" speculation.

This stood out to me immediately the first time I saw TFA in the theater:

Notably plays when the Resistance forces are scrambling for the attack on Starkiller
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYgc-kKhEnU
    First plays when the TF droid armies are dispatched to the surface of Naboo towards the start of TPM, but several times later, especially when Vader and the 501st march on the Jedi Temple in RotS.
    If the similarities between these are on purpose (other than that they're both military marches), I have no clue what it could mean.

And then there's this... I noticed it the first ime I saw TFA too ad I recall reading about it later:
    The so-called "Kamino motif" from AotC (when Obi-Wan lands on Kamino)

I can't remember where this motif is on the regular AotC soundtrack CD though. Anyway, then there's a weirdly similar leitmotif from TFA, towards the end of the track Maz's Counsel (in the movie, it plays when Finn, Rey, Han and Chewie approach Maz' Castle)

(around 2:40)

I remember some reviewer for the TFA soundtrack months ago pointed out some similarity between Rey's Theme and Anakin's Theme, but at the time I dismissed it. But come to think of it, it would make sense. I hope this helps.

Negotiator1138 and theMaestro like this.
  25. darkspine10

Dec 7, 2014
    The most striking parallel to me was how Finn's Confession is a slowed down version of Talk About Podracing from TPM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtTMqSp8f7k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kShrb-zSWMI

Negotiator1138 and Huttese 101 like this.