main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Darth Maul (Marvel) #1-5 & Probe Droid Problem (5/5 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by starocean90, Nov 14, 2016.

1. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    New Maul comic!!!!!
    set before TPM!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Written by Cullen Bunn and drawn by Luke Ross, the five-issue Marvel Comics miniseries Star Wars: Darth Maul (to debut in February) takes a look at the tattooed villain’s younger days before his short-lived appearance in the 1999 prequel film Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace. On tap for the antagonistic warrior: lots of rage, a need to take revenge against the Jedi, and problems taking orders.

The comic finds Maul an untested warrior under the training of Darth Sidious, who would later become the Galactic Emperor. Told to stand down from engaging with Jedi yet, Maul hunts down the worst of the worst in the cosmic underworld to vent his frustration.

After learning a young Jedi Padawan named Eldra Kaitis has fallen into the hands of a crime lord, Maul seizes an opportunity to test his skills against a real Jedi but also maybe turn someone else to the dark side.

Eldra is a protagonist who “has a huge impact on Maul’s life going forward.” Bunn also promises interactions between Maul and Sidious that look at how Sidious relates to his apprentice: “He’s not a very warm teacher.”

Bunn says he finds the fine line between devoted to the dark side or the light fascinating in the struggle between Sith and Jedi. “So a big part of the story is Darth Maul’s descent to the dark side and almost being tempted away from it.”​
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ive-star-wars-darth-maul-comic-book/93789660/

2. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Ey! Finally some news.
    Sounds interesting.

3. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    lol! Just posted this in the Marvel thread. But at last, we will get some more canon material taking place before the Prequel Trilogy era!

Jedi Ben and Erkan12 like this.
  4. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    Oh hell yes!!! Now this I cannot wait for. cameo's by DP anyone?

5. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Oo, I hope so! We'll see in canon finally what Plagueis looks like (and what his species) is hopefully.

6. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Maybe they'll throw Son of Dathomir into this one's OHC.

7. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Maul dealing with the "cosmic underworld"? Eldra Kaitis=Darsha Assant in the canon? So a canon adaptation of the Darth Maul miniseries by Dark Horse and Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter then?

8. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    finally some comics set outside of the time between IV and V.[face_laugh]

9. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Not only that, this along with the Yoda arc in the Star Wars series are the only two canon stories yet set before TPM. More please!

10. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014
    don't for get the short story "A recipe for death" in the Aliens book, that is technically pre TPM too!

spicer and starocean90 like this.
  11. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    That's a great new, we can finally read some canon PT era comics, and find out more about Darth Maul's apprenticeship, maybe we can even see Darth Plagueis ?

ChefCurryWindu likes this.
  12. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    That's not the first Prequel era Marvel comic. We had Obi-Wan & Anakin last year.

13. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    and Son of Dathomir too.:p

Darth_Voider likes this.
  14. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    So excited!! Love the prequel era, and am excited to see more pre-TPM storytelling!

Darkslayer and Erkan12 like this.
  15. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Not the first prequel era comic, but along with the Yoda arc, the only two pre-TPM comics.
    Wasn't aware of that one, since I don't own the Aliens book.

16. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    I don't remember, what in that short story placed it before TPM?

17. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I am really hyped for this, I love Darth Maul and I think the pre-TPM era is a great place to explore. I really hope we get to see Darth Plagueis, and I am quite curious about how Maul was almost turned to the light side. It is interesting to see his is still causing trouble for the underworld, reminds me of the Dark Horse Darth Maul comic. I'm guessing this will be bundled with Darth Maul - Son of Dathomir for its hardcover release, which is also exciting.

18. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Bunn excels at writing "darker" and/or more morally-ambiguous characters. Between Sinestro, Magneto (my personal favorite comic of his BTW), Lobo, etc. So he's a great choice for a character like Maul.

Also it's set pre-TPM. That should make the PT fans happy I think.

19. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014

shamelessly nicked from the wook: ""A Recipe for Death" establishes that Strono Tuggshas served in Maz Kanata's castle for twenty-some years, and Star Wars: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary establishes that Tuggs served in the castle for centuries. As such, "A Recipe for Death" must take place at least 171 years before Star Wars: Episode VII The Force Awakens, or at least 105 years before Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace."

bsmith7174 likes this.
  20. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I'm kinda hoping after this miniseries we will get a full Ongoing Star Wars comic series set before the PT era.

21. bsmith7174

bsmith7174 Jedi Master star 3

Apr 17, 2015
    Oh gotcha. Makes sense.
    Any reason why I'm not seeing that quote on wookieepedia? I'm confused [face_dunno]

22. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

I have a feeling that the chances of getting a Prequel era ongoing are fading. After Ep. VIII comes out the floodgates will likely get opened and they will be free to start telling a lot more stories about Luke, Rey, and Kylo Ren.

23. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
    before the PT, you say.
    Plagueis cameo confirmed!!!!!!!:p

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    i don't know about cameo but i'm sure he'll get a mention.

25. Endol

Endol Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2014

it's in the footnote on the "timeline of canon media" page! http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_canon_media#cite_note-Recipe_Note-0

on the topic of this mini series, there is hope that Son of dathomir will be re-printed in the OHC. I think thats a great idea, as SoD is hard to find now and the prices are huge. it should keep everyone happy too. Collectors or peeps that missed the TPB can catch up whilst owners, like me of the original TPB will probably still find that their copy contiunes to command a high price if they were to sell.

iPodwithnomusic likes this.