main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ancient Races: Celestials, Rakata, and Co

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cronal, May 19, 2011.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder: If there's no ancient aliens, why do so many species have two eyes, a nose, a mouth, etc.?

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Coincidence

3. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Are you talking about Star Wars or real life or what?

4. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Star Wars

5. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Legends or canon?

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    canon

7. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    Not sure if he has the same reasons as me, but I don't like 'epic progenitors' as stereotypical races. I'm hoping that at least Disney Canon doesn't have any, it'd be the one saving grace. Legends has.. what? 4-5? Rakatans, Gree, Kwa, Celestials...

I just don't like the idea of great magical races having all the best tech and everything being descended from them. I prefer things developing naturally, the ancient Republic being the Roman Republic/Empire and so on, so forth.

Even worse for me is those progenitor races coming back. Which brings back another pet peeve of mine - extragalactic (or alien, when it comes to Earth-scenarios) invasions.

I liked the Vong when they happened cause it was a one-off, one of a kind thing. These days, I wouldn't want Disney-Canon to repeat the Vong invasion. I'd want Legends stories that explore the aftermath of the Vong War. The nitty gritty details on rebuilding the Alliance, the Remnant, their individual planets, etc.

Yeah, I agree with this. I actually don't want anything recanonized. I'm a bigger Legends fan than a Star Wars and I still would prefer that if we can't have new Legends stories, then Legends should stay untouched. Make original stories, original characters, not have a Thrawn that isn't even Thrawn or an eventual Mara Jade that isn't even Mara Jade.

Mining planets, systems, races, organisations is fine. Still the same Galaxy, just not the same timeline/universe.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The Nagai alliance and the Toff empire want a word with you.

9. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    It was more like a light breeze, a few small time engagements, rather than a full on war. Didn't it also last a few short months? Not even a year?

10. Kashuula Korulanlaa

Kashuula Korulanlaa Jedi Master star 2

Jan 18, 2016
    humans- i have an strong opinion that they originated on Corellia and even possibly were made by the Celestials, but if this is true were did all the planets in the Corellia system come from?

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Tell that to the Second Battle of Endor, Battle of Mandalore, Battle of Iskalon, the Massacre on Trenwyth and the Battle of Saijo.

Time not important. Only life important.

12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The Nagai and toff were from a satellite Galaxy of the GFFA-not an entirely new galaxy beyond our sight.

13. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    The progenitor trope has its origins in RL thinking-the Greek golden age, the Satya Yuga, pre-antediluvian times and so forth. And things do evolve naturally the Rakata enslave, kill, and even eat their subjects, they endure a plague, their subjects-humans, duros-and the like ya know rise up and drive them back to Lehon. As for the celestials-It can be effectively argued they are from a higher plane of existence kind of like the organians in Star Trek-they aren't a conventional civilization at all. The gree and kwa weren't really progenitors on a galactic scale they had some cool tech-but they eventually were reduced to backwaters-much like real life as empires come and fade.

Out of all franchises except LOTR I would say Star Wars has the most interesting and detailed progenitor lore. A point in legend's favor if you ask me.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say that a satellite galaxy is still another galaxy. And both are well beyond our sight.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    And the Battle of Fondor, and strikes as far as Champala and Ord Bueri.

The last set of retcons turned into a five month long war, which was excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Force Smuggler and Gamiel like this.
  16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Are we talking about the Nagai war here?

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Yup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I always wish that had been explored in greater detail-I also wish we had got a map of companion Besh-would have been cool to see that in warfare.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  19. Hamburger_Time

Hamburger_Time Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 13, 2010
    So anyone kinda want Snoke to be connected to the ancient Galaxy? If KOTOR's still canon I think I'd like his people to have been associates of the Rakata in some manner. SKB using star power was distinctly familiar in that respect...

20. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think there's a high probability that Snoke is either in some way an ancient Sith or some similar ancient Abeloth-like entity, possibly having been imprisoned on Jakku until recently. It seems to fit with a lot of what they're seeding in Aftermath and other places, with some of the EU parallels, and with the bit in the TFA novel about him having seen the rise and fall of the Empire.

panki likes this.
  21. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010

Hasn't it been confirmed Snoke is NOT a Sith?

My Snoke theory is that his people had a Dark Side tradition contemporaneous with the Sith but since they knew they couldn't beat the Sith, and certainly not the Jedi, they've been navel-gazing in the Unknown Regions for Force-knows-how-long and are only just making their move now.

Gamiel and panki like this.
  22. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    There was a claim to that effect, but since there's no actual appreciable difference other than his apparent disregard of the Rule of Two (which, granted, does seem more central to the Sith in the new canon than in Legends), I'm not sure I believe it, and it could definitely be weasel-worded away with a Palpatine-style "considers himself to have transcended the Sith" anyway.

23. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    You know Snoke is probably going to turn out to be a generic big bad without much connection to any deeper lore legends or otherwise. I wonder what makes the Internet think exactly he will be so special.

Havoc123 and Subtext Mining like this.
  24. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Snoke in TFA is pretty damn generic - I said so at the time, and plenty of other people have done so then and since. (Indeed, it's part of why I don't put much faith in the early claim that he's not a Sith). But the very fact of that criticism makes me think it's quite unlikely that all subsequent ST-era material won't bother to ever expand on him.

25. Hamburger_Time

Dec 13, 2010

Even with what little we've seen of him so far I noticed one important difference between him and the Sith proper: Snoke is a lot calmer and more patient and composed. Even Dooku, the suave gentleman duelist of the cinematic Sith, couldn't resist indulging in copious scenery chomping; Snoke be contrast seems like an evil version of a mild-mannered college professor, or something to that effect. Perhaps whatever tradition he's part of can channel the Dark Side without USING YER AGGRESSIVE FEELINGS BOEH!