main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One [Official Info] Gareth Edwards to Direct first Spin Off !

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by chris hayes, May 22, 2014.

1. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998

[​IMG]

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, Godzilla isn't really about the titular monster being on screen all the time. It's the most memorable part, to be sure, but it's not necessarily what the bulk of the movies is "about" per se. It's like Jaws; the shark is hardly in the movie, and you don't get a good look at him until the very end, but this is one of those instances where less is more. There's more impact when he's actually on screen. If you were that disgusted by his screen time in the 2014 film (he was actually in it way more than I expected him to be), I would argue that's more on you than anything. That seems like kind of an extreme reaction to begin with, but hey, judgement free zone.

3. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Before the movie, my logic was that he made a decent monster movie with no budget, so how much more is he going to do with a decent budget?

He did the same as the first film, just with a big budget.

If you were happy with it, I am pleased for you.

4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
  5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015

See my signature.

6. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    See mine.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  7. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    That io9 article was very interesting. Missed it before. Thanks for bumping with that.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yeah, I loved that io9 interview.
    Monsters has a strong documentary feel to it. Much of it feels like a video of a trip through Mexico. Gareth is suggesting that he is doing something similar. Being immersed in Jedha.

my kind of scum likes this.
  9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    just watched godzilla and was pleasantly surprised. it was good.

10. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    According to people who were with me in the theater, apparently the look on my face was one of pure, unadulterated joy when this happened. I think I'm going to have to give it another watch, I haven't seen it since it came out.

[​IMG]

11. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    Hey, I'll defend Godzilla any day. Imperfect in some ways, fricken awesome in many others.

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I, too, am a fan of Edwards Godzilla. I feel like Edwards has been getting a bad rap in here, lately. All of the reshootgate drama has maybe soured some people on him. But, I've really liked everything I've seen and heard about R1 from way before the reshoots, and I still have faith in him. I really want to check out Monsters. I've heard it's great.

13. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    You know, I won't even guarantee you'll like Monsters. It's a strangely low key movie, not something loud and knockabout at all. But it does show Gareth has something unique going on in his head. He wouldn't be the right person for the next Marvel Comic Movie.

Bor Mullet and thejeditraitor like this.
  14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    I'll also say I enjoyed Godzilla. My expectations were met, and I think he's an interesting filmmaker and he seems like a cool guy to boot. I've got Godzilla on Blu-ray, and while it does have its flaws, I may just rewatch it this week.

15. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  16. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  17. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    ^ That's cool.

18. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    I'd rather not know what it is.. For those that read the article.. Is it something that's gonna be easy point out in the film?

19. weezer

May 16, 2001
    No.

B99 likes this.
  20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    No. All we have to go on is that it’s a helmet. Could be one of those worshipper-types on Jedha.

B99 likes this.
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
  22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I like Gareth Edwards especially as a person...That's weird to since i should be critiquing his directing but just a guy when you see him on interviews and talking he just seems so....low key and cool. Like he doesn't seem to be a bragger it almost seems like he's humble a lot of the time about making a film.

Now as someone who saw Godzilla 2014 i will say that G-14 is a enjoyable film if you go in it not expecting much. I think it's competently made and directionally it's shot beautifully....character and story wise it's fine it gets you through the day, the script is week i'll give it that. But granted those scriptwriters aren't working on Rogue One so ...who knows.

The crux of that complaint isn't so much he doesn't have enough screen time it's that the film isn't really about him so much as it is about the MUTO's. Watching the movie it really is their story and Godzilla just shows up at the end to stop them.

23. GregMcP

Jul 7, 2015
    It was a deliberate game Gareth played with the audience.
    Whenever we'd think we were about to get a good look at Big G, he'd pull the camera away.

I understand the restraint. Save him/her for the big finish. But it did get me going arrgh! in the theater.

24. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007

Surely it's the helmet Luke wears in the Battle of Yavin...... no?

25. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Why would you say that? I'm assuming its something more visually striking than just a different pattern on a helmet (which I doubt Lucas could pick out of a crowd of helmets as it is).