main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Expanse (book and TV and...video game series?)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The premiere of this show was really confusing, probably because it was too short to get a good grasp of who all the characters are and what they want. Also, pretty much everyone came off as sort of a jerk.

2. Admiral_Wyvern

Admiral_Wyvern Jedi Master star 2

Feb 14, 2014
    The setting was really interesting, but none of the characters really connected with me. The book may do things better, but they came off as a collection of gritty sci-fi archetypes, none of them really that likable or memorable. Right now I don't feel like I really have anyone to root for. I think the setting is interesting enough to merit a second episode, but unless the characters improve I will probably just try the books out.

3. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Quite enjoyed the first episode. It took awhile to get going and establish itself, but I want to know more now after the ending. It's very well shot, can see they have thrown a lot of money at it. Parts of it reminded me of Babylon 5 and new BSG.

4. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    Definitely got vibes of BSG from The Expanse, as well as a little bit of Firefly.

I read the book prior to watching the first ep, and from an adaptation standpoint, I think they did a great job.

TX-20 and Jedi Daniel like this.
  5. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    I've listened to the first book and I am a good way into the second. I'm loving the series.

6. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Watched episodes 2 and 3 last night, really enjoyable and smartly written. New episodes start again tonight.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
  8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I guess the primary book to show difference is that the characters seem burnt out instead of happy to be doing what they do. In the books Holden is in charge and the crew just loves the guy. I guess for the show they are going to have him build up to that respect level.

I like Thomas Jane/Miller and the hat.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    This last episode is the first where the crew works together without butting heads with Holden calling the shots. Nice mystery derelict spaceship episode.

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    So I'm catching up on this series and currently on episode 4 (the ending to 3 was pretty brutal). Rather enjoying this one so far- this series might be the biggest leap in sci-fi realism for a space-based show since the jump from Star Trek to Babylon 5.

I think my one critique so far is that I think it may have been a mistake to shoot it like BSG- not the look but rather the camera movement. It makes the space sequences (and the battles in particular) very confusing to look at/follow what is happening. A steadier camera would have made it much easier to understand.

Other than that, looking forward to the rest...

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    So, book six, Babylon's Ashes, has just come out. Anyone started reading yet? What are thoughts on the chosen POV characters?

12. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Not sure this is the right place, but here's two trailers for season 2.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  13. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I'm still on book 3 so I'm quite behind at the moment. I'm not sure if I'm waiting for season 2 before reading more or just wanting to take my time with it (I raced through books 1 and 2). I mostly read during the summer on holiday so I'm planning on reading the rest of the series then, so I may end up watching the second season by default. Though it's unlikely to go past book 2 anyway.

14. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I think they were quoted as saying that the show will make some departures from the books beginning in season two. I don't remember the reasoning.

15. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    I would imagine its expense.

Book 3 onwards moves into very different territory

16. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    Haven't gotten that far in the books, so I wouldn't know. Anyways, SyFy put out a new trailer.

TX-20 and Jedi Daniel like this.
  17. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I guess a new book is out, but I have 7 other books to read first. I'm gonna need a recap of everything since it's been awhile.

18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The corporate spy on the Rocinante sounded like Adam Jensen, which Google confirmed. It is him.

Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec likes this.
  19. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Yeah Alexis Toufexis got that role. Was really cool to see.

20. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    He never asked for it.

Triangulum and Lord Vivec like this.
  21. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    So is anyone actually watching Season 2? Or am I the only one. Cause Season 2 so far has been amazing.

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It has been quite bizarre. Summary thoughts:

1. All this alien stuff seems like something for a season finale but it's just randomly happening at midweek episodes

2. Everyone is still mean to one another and they are all much less honorable than characters from other science fiction shows like Colony. Let alone the Blacklist

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I am watching it, Vivec. We just talked about this. :p

Is the scientist asking Chrisjen for helping
    going to Venus
    meant to be Australian or Kiwi?

24. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Unclear. I don't remember him from the books.

25. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I have been watching, and it is interesting to say the least.