main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Which Star Wars era did you grow up in?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by basiloregano3004, Dec 9, 2016.

?

Which SW era did you grow up in?

1. 1977–1983: The Original Trilogy era

27.2%
  2. 1984–1990: The Calm era

11.7%
  3. 1991–1996: The Thrawn trilogy/EU jumpstart/pre-Special Edition VHS era

12.2%
  4. 1997–2007: The Special Edition/Prequels/OG Clone Wars multimedia project era

40.0%
  5. 2008–2014: The New Clone Wars era

7.8%
  6. 2015–present: The Disney/Force Awakens era

1.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. basiloregano3004

basiloregano3004 Jedi Knight

Mar 29, 2015
    I consider "growing up" in this case to be ages 5-12. Maybe 3-12.

2. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    Born Dec. 9th 1997, and was raised in the prequel era.

Granted I did not watch the films in a concreate order, and in my youth my interest in Star Wars was passive at best.
    I started with Episode 6, then 4, and binge watched the rest in a way I can't even remember which order I saw them after that.

I got on the train a lot later then most, not getting any comics until I was well into my teens. I did however watch TCW film in theaters, and never missed an episode. I only ever saw the special editions, until I was practically an adult, when I looked the originals up online (was not impressed).

But I was definitely was a prequel baby, and am to this day. They are my favorite films period, and my home.:D

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I am old. Born October 27, 1901 I mean 1971. So I grew up in ALL the eras.

4. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
    The late 90's was a great time to become a Star Wars fan with the special editions and then 2 years later with The Phantom Menace.

5. jedivalens

jedivalens Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    I was aware of Star Wars when I was a kid but I didn't really get into it until right around when the special editions came out. My best friend in high school was really into Star Wars and he got me into it.

6. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
  7. corinthia

corinthia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2016
    I distinctly remember when TPM came out-- I was four years old. AOTC was my Blockbuster rental favorite for the longest time when I was about seven, but I was never super into Star Wars, not until TFA came along. :p

8. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    Believe it or not, I was born on October 17, 1983, just 5 months after the Original Trilogy ended, and I was 15 when TPM came out, but i did see the SE version of ANH during the 97 theatrical run. During that 15 year timeframe, I had been casually exposed to Star Wars, but never got seriously into it until around the time ROTS came out.

Actually, Star Wars was probably the last thing I'd ever get into because I thought it was a nostalgia product of a generation before me, and believing that the OT would be the only SW films we'd ever have, so I must say I was caught off guard by the hype surrounding TPM when I was a freshman in High School. A then-6-year-old cousin of mine even got a Darth Maul toy lightsaber around this time, and I was seeing the ad campaign on Pepsi packaging back then if I remember correctly. That's when I knew that this was more than just nostalgia, that Star Wars had genuine staying power, and that Star Wars had indeed stood the test of time and would continue to do so in the foreseeable future.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I am older. By exactly 6 years: Born October 27, 1965. I'm one of the few who, before the movie came out, read the novel, "Soon to be a major motion picture!"

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Oldbie here - I was an adult in 1977. Thanks to the fact that I was working as a projectionist at the time I nailed one of the posters from another projectionist friend when the film left his cinema. (My cinema didn't show it - it was an 'adult' cinema). Like Sarge, not only did I read the novel, I have a first edition of the paperback. (Not in great shape, but still a first.)

11. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    I was born in 1979 and only started to appreciate Star Wars when the OT was shown on TV as some sort of marathon, in conjunction with the release of Episode One in 1999... Which makes me a kind of "late bloomer" to the Star Wars universe, at exactly 20!

By the way, Malaysia in the 80s was somewhat "backward" in that we only had three free TV channels, which showed movies at backdated intervals, unlike the numerous satellite channels and Netflix available today!

Sent from MillenniumFalcon.exe using Tapatalk

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    When I moved to the UK back in 1989, there were four terrestrial TV stations - two BBC and two commercial. Needless to say it didn't take me long to get cable once my area had it, and then I graduated to the satellite dish a few years later.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  13. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    It was 'The calm era' for me. I grew up watching A New Hope recorded off either channel 4 or ITV in the early 80's, so that that I knew the indivdual adverts and their order off by heart, like they were part of the experience lol. And also we had an illegal copy of ROTJ and the documentary presented by Billy Dee Williams on vhs tape. It was years later in 88 when I first saw ESB when my brother got the 'All Time Greats' version for Christmas. I still have all three tapes.

[​IMG]

So I'd say that the vhs era for me started in the 80's not 1991.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  14. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I started reading and really getting into Star Wars when I was 12/13.

15. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Born in 1996, so the Special Edition and Prequel Era for me. Somehow, I can't remember when I watched the Star Wars films for the first time. I would say it was in about 1999 or so. I really loved the Prequels growing up, but they haven't stuck with me near as much as the originals. I need to get back to the Prequels and see how I feel about them now.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  16. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Special Edition and Prequel era
    Wouldn't want it any other way.

17. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Born in 1990, I grew up on the OT and the PT, but it was the Sequel Trilogy that ignited my passion and fandom for the Star Wars universe.. As far as I can remember, I considered the OT one of my favorite movies as a kid, and watched the Special Edition on VHS when it was released since my dad bought a copy. When the PT came out, I was excited, and watched each movie of the PT once, but after the PT was over in 2005, I didn't watch anything or pay attention to anything Star Wars related for a decade. Even after the final TFA trailer came out and everyone I knew was getting Star Wars crazy, I didn't watch it because I wasn't interested at the time. I told myself, "Oh another Star Wars movie. I'll definitely check it out once it releases."

Things changed a week before TFA was released. Up to that time like I mentioned previously, I never saw the trailer. As I was sitting in the movie theater watching the previews, they showed TFA trailer. As I heard the nostalgic music and saw familiar faces, objects, and people dating back to my childhood, it immediately got me hooked. I was thinking to myself, "Why didn't I watch this earlier? I have been missing out!"

I did a saga marathon for all six movies before I watched TFA. Afterwards, I finished all TCW seasons, and caught up to Rebels before the Season 2 Mid-season premiere. I even visited Lucasfilm headquarters in SF since I live in the area, and took a picture with the Yoda statue.

And ever since then for the past year, I finally became a hardcore Star Wars fan at the age of 25. The funny thing is, if you told me a year ago that I would be posting and surfing on the JCF, consider myself a Star Wars fanatic, read or look for the latest Star Wars news and articles every day, or eagerly anticipate the release of a Star Wars movie, comic, or novel, I would have laughed at you and thought you were crazy. As Yoda said, "Difficult to see, Always in motion is the future."

18. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I grew up in the SE/prequel era, in fact I first became a fan in 2004 watching the original trilogy on VHS. A lot of fond memories in this era.

19. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Who says I grew up? :p I might as well be a kid the way I'm into Star Wars these days.

20. Lady_Belligerent

Lady_Belligerent Queen of the RPF, SWC, C&P, and Pancakes & Waffles star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 29, 2008
    I was there in the beginning. Saw all movies in theatres when released. :D

21. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I'm a combination of the Calm era and the Thrawn trilogy era. Although looking back I now view myself as still being young during the Episode I build-up. Maybe even as late as 2002, when I signed up for this site. Funny how time alters perception.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Old enough that I am glad to enter this thread and see three people older than me (albeit Bazinga'd only by a few weeks), and the question "What did you think of the prequels when you were a kid?" makes me cringe.

Original trilogy era.

23. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I was born in 1993, so this was somewhat of a hard choice for me, but I chose the 1997-2007 Era as I was old enough to remember a time before the prequels, but I still very much grew up with them. I was 6 when TPM came out, and 12 when RotS came out.

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

I think 1971 was a good year for a number of reasons. :cool:

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

I think both of us are Air Force too.

Sarge likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.