main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

SWC Which Star Wars era did you grow up in?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by basiloregano3004, Dec 9, 2016.

?

Which SW era did you grow up in?

1. 1977–1983: The Original Trilogy era

27.2%
  2. 1984–1990: The Calm era

11.7%
  3. 1991–1996: The Thrawn trilogy/EU jumpstart/pre-Special Edition VHS era

12.2%
  4. 1997–2007: The Special Edition/Prequels/OG Clone Wars multimedia project era

40.0%
  5. 2008–2014: The New Clone Wars era

7.8%
  6. 2015–present: The Disney/Force Awakens era

1.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Yeah, off we go into the wild blue yonder.

Lady Belligerent likes this.
  2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Got a Herc story for you one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Is it the one where you were jumping on it while it was rolling in Iraq?

4. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    No. When did I tell you that story?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Who knows? We're old, dude, we've heard all the stories.

6. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Mostly Handless likes this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    There was this time, in band camp...........

8. Togrutan_Sith

Togrutan_Sith Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 8, 2016
    I grew up with the prequels, and watched the movies in chronological order (except for watching ROTS first, but I went back to 1 and 2). Don't care what the smartest SW fans say, if I could rewatch the films again without knowing what happened, I'd watch them in order. Just how I prefer to watch stuff.
    Funny thing, I'm thinking about stopping watching SW films til I'm 70 or if I'm lucky enough, 80, so I can rewatch them without remembering what happened.

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  9. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    OT era, I was born in 68 and saw the original in 77. But I love all the eras. I've had my worries since GL sold to Disney, but so far they are 2/2 with me and Rogue One is just incredible, and it even makes my favorite movie ever (ANH) better.

10. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    Born in '72, so in the OT era. What struck me while watching RO the other day was how common place SW is these days. Back in the day before video players and recorders you either had to wait for one of the films to be shown on TV or at the cinema. Actually seeing live-action SW was incredibly special and extremely rare. By the time ROTJ was released I'd seen ANH probably 3 times, and ESB just once. Compare that to now having seen the OT hundreds of times! Also, there were no other films like it at the time. The effects were unparalleled. These days, it is very different. The effects are in every summer blockbuster, SW is available everywhere. So, watching RO was great, but seeing Vader on the screen was less-special than seeing him back in 80 or 83. SW is so familiar now, that part of the magic has gone. I loved RO, but had it been released 30 years ago I would have been blown away!

Sarge likes this.
  11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I was 11 on May 25, 1977. I was right in the crosshairs of George's target demographic. And boy did he nail me! I drifted away from SW fandom in the late 80's and returned to it in the mid-90's. Was super-excited to see the PT, which was a disappointment to me (though I was not a "hater," at least not for very long). Started really getting into it again around Season 2 of TCW and have been very active in fandom since.

anakinfansince1983 and Sarge like this.
  12. Force of Light

Force of Light Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    The OT era. I was born in '72, but didn't get into Star Wars until the prequel trilogy came out (since I was only 4 or 5 when the original hit theaters back in '77). I had the original trilogy (as well as The Phantom Menace) on VHS tapes back then, so since I've gotten back into Star Wars (first when The Force Awakens got released to theaters, and then took a six month hiatus before getting back into it again) was the first time I've seen any of the movies on disc (I upgraded to Blu-ray last Christmas after getting my grandmother's old HDTV). I'll be seeing Rogue One for the second time on Christmas Day (since the theater it's playing in is open on Christmas Day, due to the fact that it's more than just a movie theater, it also has an arcade).:)

13. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    I remember watching ROTJ when I was 5. It was on an old rotary dial television set and thinking to myself "what is this awesome stuff". That's when I knew I'd be a fan for life.

14. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Well I was born in the early 90's and remember getting introduced to the Original Trilogy, courtesy of my older brother. But sadly my later childhood was consumed by the Prequels....

Sarge likes this.
  15. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I was born in 1990. I'm sure I saw the Original Trilogy at least once before the Prequels came out, but I don't really remember it.

16. jedijoker

jedijoker Chosen One star 8

Jul 6, 2004
    hmm no:p

I feel like a kid after seeing Rouge One [face_love]

wowz! :D :D

I am in the 1991–1996 group buuuuut I am like Furio I have not grown up :p

17. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I don't want to say my exact age, but I was a prequel baby and I was still young enough to watch TCW when it aired. I had seen the originals well before the prequels though, and for a long time I preferred the OT by a lot.

18. Adella7

Adella7 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 8, 2016
    I saw my first Star Wars :Empire Strikes Back movie back in 1980. Three years later...my parents took me to see Return of the Jedi. I did not see Star Wars until I was four years old. I am happy that I saw the trilogy while it was making a lot of money at the box office.

19. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    I was born in '86, and saw the OT SE in 1997 and became obsessed, diving right into the EU (and eschewing the classical literature I should have been reading in those formative years!) and LucasArts games. What a treat to then have the prequels arrive only two years later. I loved them all.

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I knew about Starwars for the longest time, but didn't official really start getting into it until 2007 and TCW.

21. Rennzwerg

Rennzwerg Jedi Master star 2

Mar 26, 2017
    Born in 1981, saw the OT on TV in 1989. My parents recorded RotJ for me on VHS but missed the first 10 minutes... So for a long time that film started for me when Leia frees Han from Carbonite. ;-)
    Then got hooked on the Thrawn Trilogy and played TIE Fighter for about 100 times. Ah, bliss!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

22. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Born in 1998 so prequel era. As a kid, Star Wars to me was lil Anakin and podracers and Darth Maul. Thought lightsaber stuff were cool but wasn't a massive fan, I liked other stuff better. I remember in like second grade I had a friend who was obsessed with ROTS and Anakin, he grew out the Ani mullet and walked around with one glove. Hell he even looked like Hayden.

23. Psych_Jedi

Psych_Jedi Winner of CCC Seinfeld Trivia Night star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I was born in 1978...I don't remember playing with Star Wars toys or watching any of the moves until I was 6 or 7. So I think I'm right between the OT era and the calm era.

24. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Special Edition/Prequel Era

ConservativeJedi321 likes this.
  25. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    When Episodes X-XII were being made

Those were some pretty good times. The family immigration to New Canada was a bit of a rough spot in life, but those movies were some pretty bright spots. I owe a lot to Michael Bay for directing three of the best movies I've ever seen in my favourite series

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.