main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Census Best U.S. President?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 13, 2016.

?

Best President(s) of the United States of America?

1. George Washington

18.3%
  2. James Madison

4.2%
  3. John Quincy Adams

4.2%
  4. James Knox Polk

8.5%
  5. Abraham Lincoln

42.3%
  6. Theodore Roosevelt

15.5%
  7. Franklin Delano Roosevelt

25.4%
  8. Barack Hussein Obama

29.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    I hope not at the same time.
    [​IMG]
    Oops

2. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That would be a cool trick if he did.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yes, there are a few strange combos like that. JQ also became a Senator after his Presidency. Imagine that today….Obama back in the Senate. There is a career stepping stone process today that regards that as a lesser deal as the Executive has become more important.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    That would be an interesting dynamic

5. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Yes it certainly would be. Unfortunately, there seems to be this idea now that it is a step down in importance or relevance from the Presidency, which has grown in power.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  6. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Actually, JQA became a Representative, not a Senator. He believed in the people's house being the supreme body of government and thought the Senate was too aristocratic at the time.

I don't see Obama ever going back to the Senate, but I could see him becoming say Governor of Illinois or Mayor of DC, if he ever wanted that. Doing that shouldn't been seen as a step-down, just as another way to serve. So often political talent keeps going to the top, which is ultimately DC, and never comes back "home."

MrZAP and Bazinga'd like this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think he is done, with holding office. He will be an advocate no doubt, but first a father and husband.

Juliet316 and Ghost like this.
  8. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    You are right. My mistake.

As for Obama, unfortunately all of those state offices are seen as steps down today. States have less power than ever before so I can't see him taking a governorship or mayoralty. Everything gravitates to DC now, and ultimately, to the Presidency.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  9. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    I only like the early days of Harrison's presidency. Like, days one and two. After that he became sooo mainstream. :rolleyes:

Ghost, MrZAP, Ramza and 1 other person like this.
  10. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I would actually argue that the novelty of his early death and the fact that he was the first death in office likely makes him less obscure than some other randoms. I expect he's more well known than Millard Fillmore for example, or Benjamin Harrison. Coolidge at least has that famous Dorothy Parker anecdote to be known by, but that's about it as well.

Then there are the presidents known just for being bad, like Pierce and Harding and Buchanan. I would argue that they have a certain level of notoriety because of that, but to the average person they're just not really known.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    That's what I though, but in his final press conference, he made it sound like he was leaving the door open to running again for something in 4-6 years or so, just not anytime soon.

12. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000

13. Sarchet

Sarchet Jedi Master star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    How does Teddy Roosevelt not have more votes? The man held bare knuckle boxing matches in the White House, created our National Park system, led a volunteer cavalry unit he raised and equipped, and actually got electoral votes as a third party (named the freaking "Bull Moose" party).

14. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Half of those things didn't happen during his presidency, though. If we really care about the integrity of this poll (lol) then those aren't really relevant. And bare-knuckle boxing in the White House, while amusing, is not really a policy.

15. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I'll try to find a good list of his accomplishments and notable firsts, but for now, a quote from TR on immigration that I find particularly appropriate at present:

It is unwise to depart from the old American tradition and discriminate for or against any man who desires to come here and become a citizen, save on the ground of that man's fitness for citizenship... We cannot afford to consider whether he is Catholic or Protestant, Jew or Gentile; whether he is Englishman or Irishman, Frenchman or German, Japanese, Italian, or Scandinavian or Magyar. What we should desire to find out is the individual quality of the individual man...

Ghost and Violent Violet Menace like this.
  16. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Obama is losing this poll to Lincoln. Clearly he should have started a civil war over public health care.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  17. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Something tells me Americans would prefer it too.

Ghost likes this.
  18. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    King George II

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I already voted for Lincoln many moons ago, but I would have replaced JQ Adams with either Truman or Eisenhower in the poll.

MrZAP likes this.
  20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The OP has a list of presidential accomplishments.

But this is round 2, and neither Truman or Eisenhower did well enough in Round 1.

Why not? As said in the OP, this is the result of the other polls conducted.

heels1785 likes this.
  21. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Hypothetical question, could a former president be re-elected following a gap, as in, does the two term limit stand for a lifetime or just consecutively?

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If it is anything like the rules about North Carolina governorship, the President can sit out four years and be re-elected. We have a two-term limit but had one Governor serve, sit out eight years, run again and win to serve two more terms.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    George Wallace was the last third party candidate who got electoral votes. George Wallace.

TR formed his calvary unit to invade Cuba and effectively annex it from Spain in a completely phoney war. He did more to advance U.S. overseas imperialism than any other President. Under his leadership American soldiers and marines brutally suppressed Filipino resistance to U.S. rule by burning crops and putting civilians into concentration camps; the Monroe Doctrine was warped in order to justify U.S. meddling in the Americas, including wresting Panama from Colombia in order to get more favorable terms for construction of a canal. Roosevelt loved war and fighting and subjugating other nations, and that made him a terrible leader.

MrZAP, Abadacus, Ghost and 1 other person like this.
  24. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I learned a while ago that Teddy Roosevelt is overrated, after previously looking up to him. And his temperament is actually most similar to Jackson's and Trump's.

Two-term limit is lifetime.

But there was one case in the 1800's of a President who had a 4-year-term, lost, and then was elected again 4 years after losing. Grover Cleveland is the 22nd and the 24th President of the United States. So while Trump is the 45th president, he's actually the 44th person to be elected president.

redxavier likes this.
  25. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Whenever these "best president" questions come out, I can't help but wonder if Abraham Lincoln's reputation would be quite so stellar if it weren't for his assassination and subsequent canonization.

[​IMG]

"This do in remembrance of me. Amen"