main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One The Moral Choices/Dilemmas of Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by CrAsHcHaOs, Dec 16, 2016.

1. CrAsHcHaOs

CrAsHcHaOs Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 7, 1999

I totally agree. I don't want reality in my Star Wars. I use Star Wars as an escape. Star Wars is supposed to be fantasy. Even though the OT wasn't realistic, I loved its depiction of the Rebels and how they were great people we could believe in. People we could get behind. There's nothing wrong with good, wholesome heroes. Just look at Thor and Captain America, for instance.

That being said, I still liked Rogue One.

mikeximus, Nillocke and Sarge like this.
  2. PalpShouldLive

PalpShouldLive Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2005
    Han shot first.

R1 was just all Han Solos, which is what the majority of the rebellion was made up of. Not just the idealist politicians and wizards we've seen.

I prefer Batman over Captain America, myself. [face_peace]

TooMuchBBQ and CrAsHcHaOs like this.
  3. CrAsHcHaOs

May 7, 1999

Fair enough! And I won't lie, I love Batman as well lol.

4. Rickern

Rickern Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2014

This time Cassian shot first, and GL wouldn't approve probably.

There's certainly a grey tone in these rebels. Even Mon Mothma looked cold and calculating. But you can't risk to take a wrong turn if you're to fight the biggest evil of all. The rebels were rough but the empire's still the big badass here.
    Anyway, this path was set first in the prequels when we found out that the Jedi (the idealist wizards) weren't really saint and holy men. Seems that the last idealist in the saga was Padme. And she paid the price.

5. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    Rebels certainly weren't as bad as the Empire- I missed the scene where rebels blow up city (or planet) filled with civilians or kill their own armies to prevent enemy from winning. Even though some rebels like Saw Gerrera and that Rebel intelligence General who gave orders to Cassian were definitely immoral and ready to do all sort of acts to win, they were not nearly as evil as Imperials in the film. One of the themes in this film was exactly that it is easy to cross the line in waging war since effectiveness many times requires drastic actions with questionable moral choices. Jyn was more idealistic than Cassian in that and she made him also to reconsider what he is fighting for.

Besides in OT Rebellion blows up two Death Stars and by doing that kill hundreds or thousands people there and not all are completely evil corrupted people for sure but many just work there and may have a family. Some may be forced to work there and are completely innocent for destruction of Alderaan. So in OT rebels are also doing a lot of evil stuff but consequences just are not shown directly. I've always thought that many innocents must've died on Death Star and it is all Luke's doing. Yet not destroying such a place would be even worse since it is used to kill innocents as well.

So approach in this film is different but what rebellion actually does is not that different. OT just conveniently doesn't show all those deaths Luke, Wedge and Lando must cause.

6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Thor ain't wholesome dude. In the first movie he was a self entitled spoiled jock.

7. CrAsHcHaOs

May 7, 1999

He becomes wholesome after becoming worthy enough to wield Meow Meow.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I blame the prequels myself!

;)

First Yoda attacking the rebellious seperatists now this!

:D

CowMoo and CrAsHcHaOs like this.
  9. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Right. We went through character growth. Just like the Rebels if you watch Rogue One before A New Hope.

10. CrAsHcHaOs

May 7, 1999

So you're saying that the Rebels we see in TESB and ROTJ are more moral than the ones in RO and ANH?

11. LordDallos

LordDallos Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2016
    Not the rebels as a whole. No doubt some of them did bad things though. The difference is that now we actually see it. Just as bad as The Empire? That's an incredible stretch.

12. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    In a way, yes. Especially ones that initially shared Cassian's views.

Also think the sacrifices in Scarif swayed more of the disbelievers on Yavin

CrAsHcHaOs and Swashbucklingjedi like this.
  13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Since GL apparently couldn't stop telling John Knoll how happy he was with this film, I beg to differ ;)

14. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    Though the one thing I was absolutely amazed with and my friend was telling me this was how quickly the Rebels mobilized their fleet. They were literally over scarif within minutes of Rogue One. I had a feeling before this movie was released that they would be going all in.

15. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    I think that Raddus was prepared to go anyways and didn't care about iffy senators so he mobilized the fleet. But sure rebels were quite fast and effective but that's what makes them better than the imperials- they have generally better morale because they believe in what they do.

Stormtroopers not so much apparently- they are volunteers at first but ultimately they notice that the Empire doesn't care about them and they are just numbers and as disposable as battle droids. The way how rebels treat their own really tells that they are better than the Empire. Sure Cassian shot the informant on Kafrene but that was not a normal way rebels treat their allies and it was obviously his commander (general Draven was it?) who favored such tactics.

16. CrAsHcHaOs

May 7, 1999

I see where you guys are coming from now. It makes a whole lot of sense.

cerealbox likes this.
  17. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    We ALL knew they'd be going all in. The opening crawl to ANH states it. "Rebel ships, striking from a hidden base....during the battle, rebel spies steal the plans for the Empires ultimate weapon..."

18. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I know and that's why I have problems wih this grey area stuff movies. Too many Han Solo's and too few Luke Skywalker's. [face_worried]

mikeximus, Nillocke and Sarge like this.
  19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    A lot of soldiers become like this as war rages on.

For all we know, Luke could have a more Han Solo-ish attitude in VIII.

20. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    If you think they are even in the same ballpark then that is lacking any and all sense of proportion and likely towering naivete.

Was there no difference say between the British and the Nazis during World War II?

KSkywalker and Pondscum like this.
  21. Pondscum

Pondscum Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 10, 2014
    I suspect this might be considered too political, but the idea that someone could watch Rogue One and take away from it that the Rebellion was 'just as bad' as the Empire, is perhaps reflected in the rationale of the millions of people who just voted for their own real life Emperor..

I thought Rogue One showed the lengths the rebellion had to go to, the tough decisions in the face of hopelessness and the mistakes that could be made, but that it still presented them unequivocally as the good guys (and rightfully so.)

22. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Well, even Luke has to make some pretty cold decisions. No doubt, there were prisoners, and unwilling conscripts, and people just doing what they have to survive on the first Death Star. But Luke ultimately did what he had to do. Now, we don't see any of that on display in the OT. It's easier NOT to think of those things. R1 was a glimpse of a perspective where those things are examined in more honest detail. War is always ugly, but it sometimes still the right thing to do.

Sarge and EHT like this.
  23. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    please no [face_sick]

Seagoat likes this.
  24. CrAsHcHaOs

May 7, 1999

Uh....I voted for Hillary.

25. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Maybe not.

But still, no guy is going to behave at 53 the way he was when he was 23.