main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books A/V STAR WARS: ROGUE #$^$%&ING ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 12, 2015.

1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    YES
    Mantles are also shawls or cloaks.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ooo! I got it! It's the part of the DS team that deals with the middle part of the DS. Not the core or the crust. The core people thought they were so cool with the kybers and all and the crust people thought they were the bees knees with the trenches and shields, so to make the people working on the boring middle structural part feel good about themselves, they called it the "War Mantle." Ooo. Scary.

WMIRTUTSF, jSarek, Revanfan1 and 8 others like this.
  3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I also loved how the members inside the catacombs are presented almost ash-like and with nigh glowing eyes.

Revanfan1, DarthJaceus and BobaMatt like this.
  4. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Orbital Nightcloak recanonized?

TheRedBlade likes this.
  5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Hm.
    [​IMG]

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I feel like Cassian is the one who mirrors Solo's ANH arc.

7. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Chirrut is with the Force and the Force is with him. He knows.

That was incredibly sad, especially because he's the one that really steps out of his comfort zone to "listen to what's in his heart". Yet imo it was really well done precisely to show the folly and weight of war.

8. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So I hit the pre order button on amazon UK, I'm just hoping now that the Blue rey is a lot more meaty compared to what they did with TFA!

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I mean I was making a funny, but your meaning is more likely -- the kind of mantel you find in a living room is spelled differently from a mantle.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Not the blue rey, the blue Jyn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CooperTFN, Vthuil, Revanfan1 and 6 others like this.
  11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    http://liz-squids.tumblr.com/post/154646043852/bookelfe-as-an-occasional-visitor-to-star-wars :
    As an occasional visitor to Star Wars fandom, here are some things I would like to see come out of Rogue One:
    - the fic about the reactions of the Empire’s IT and records management departments when they learn that some trigger-happy general just literally blew up an entire unique archival repository of key bureaucratic data
    - the comic about the first time some maintenance technician tries to repair something on the Death Star and the guy’s like, ‘where’s the documentation?’ and their boss is like ‘um, well, funny story about that….’
    - the in-depth analysis about various mistakes the Empire makes in the original trilogy and how they operate in context of an organization that has just, I repeat, LITERALLY BLOWN UP ALL OF THEIR OWN BACKUP DATA. Of course it’s easy for any random hero to impersonate a Stormtrooper! THEY DESTROYED ALL THEIR OWN PERSONNEL FILES.

Rogue One, or, Why All The Empire’s Librarians and Archivists Joined the Rebellion

12. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015

Actually, this is a really good point. It'd be kind of interesting to get a novel or comic mini-series about the workers building the second Death Star. They're expected to do it much faster because the research is already done, but all of the documentation was eliminated completely. I'm not sure how the plot would work, but the concept is intriguing.

Kylun and MercenaryAce like this.
  13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Time for the retcons! Legends to save the day (fixing Star Wars movie continuity errors since 1976 ;) )--copies of Scarif's Death Star plans were also on Toprawa and Danuta. In fact, Mon Mothma was planning on going around the back of the Alliance Council offscreen in Rogue One anyway and discreetly sent a spy to Danuta, but Jyn and her friends went rogue without realizing Mothma already had everything under control.

Oh, and I really wouldn't be surprised if Palpatine had super secret copies of the plans hidden on Mount Tantiss in Wayland or something.

14. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    Bit off topic, but Andrew lincoln (rick grimes from the walking dead) was in my town cinema two days ago watching rogue one..and I completely missed it!! I only say this because I live in Cornwall UK and I seem to keep having near misses where I could of met him ( I would geek out over this). but he seems to spend a lot of time down my end as he went in to a small town's shop about 10 miles away from me back in may.

15. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Literally yes.

Mon Mothma was not going to do nothing. Twenty years working for the Rebel Alliance for a bunch of whiny Ministers to say surrender? Good luck with that, democracy, I ain't having none of it.

She was already talking to Bail before Rogue One snuck off, no?

CooperTFN, Kylun and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    RE: Tantive IV & the Profundity

The novelization makes it clear that the Tantive IV was undergoing repairs in the hangar of the Profundity prior to Scarif. Raddus needed every ship available, which is the justification as to why it was brought along. The moment the ship is battle ready, the Profundity's shields fail and it is boarded.

I know some folks are a bit off put by the ship being at Scarif, but that it how the novel describes it.

--Adm. Nick

17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Does it tell us where Tantive IV was jumping after the battle?

18. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Finally saw it. Took me long enough.

And, uh, yeah, this film may have single-handedly reignited my interest in the franchise after an extended period of decline.

I could nitpick and/or point out some rather glaring oddities (mainly with the very end), and I'm sure when I go back over what the rest of you have said it won't be anything new, but in the immediate afterglow all I can think is that it's the best Star Wars film there's been since 1980.

(Sorry RotJ, but I never really liked you.)

. . .

Oh, and as Vader fanboy I was satisfied on every. single. level. Maybe introducing him like an undead sorcerer ruling over a plane of hell didn't do it for some people but I thought it was ****ing awesome. The dad joke was icing on the cake.

19. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Eh, I prefer my headcanon where Leia was about to leave for Tatooine, heard about Scarif, and said "screw it, I'm going too."

Ghost, Kylun and Ulicus like this.
  20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Obviously when Bail is discussing his Jedi friend, he means Obi-Wan, but in theory newcomers watching this in order (TPM, AOTC, TCW, ROTS, Rebels, RO) would think he might be talking about Yoda (unless I missed something).

21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    who would do that? and not watch ANH?

22. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I know people who have been watching them in order (minus TCW and Rebels obviously, those shows are too long), mainly friends from other countries where Star Wars in their youth isn't as "required" as it is here :p . But yeah, even they have seen ANH by now, so I guess this particular quote was more about future viewers. Imagine their disappointment in ANH expecting Yoda and getting Obi-Wan (who aged so much compared to Bail :p )

23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    So then, Jyn is Duros?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013

Sigh. I guess the "Antilles was left behind on Yavin IV too and took Artoo and Threepio on a shuttle to meet up with Tantive IV" theory is all that makes sense. This is my only (minor) nitpick with an otherwise great movie, because if Tantive IV was at Scarif the whole time then Artoo and Threepio should not have been in that hangar.

starfish likes this.
  25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    R2 and 3PO appearing where they did doesn't make a lot of sense but it was still awesome.