main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Trust goes both ways: The bond between Jyn and Cassian

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by cerealbox, Dec 17, 2016.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Dude tried to kill her father. Couldn't go through with it.

He killed an informant for less.

Did caring for Jyn change his mind.

Oh yeah, and they die holding each other.

2. zero_point_zero

zero_point_zero Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2016
    I'm glad they didn't kiss at the end. Their bond didnt need to be romantic and it would have felt forced if they went that way. They are just two people who fulfilled a mission, earned one another's trust and accepted their ultimate fate knowing that they kept hope alive. Perfect.

3. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Of course, I would have been different in that ending scenario. But that's just me. :)

zero_point_zero likes this.
  4. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    If Felicity Jones was hugging me and I knew we both are doomed anyway? Yeah same here :p

Lol, but fan-canon aside there wasn't much to imply that there was a romantic attraction till the VERY end.

cerealbox likes this.
  5. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    When they were landing on Scarif and she was in the cockpit with Bodhi, when Cassian came up and she rushed toward him really quick, I was sure that she was going to kiss him. But then she just paused, squeezed by him, and went down the ladder.

I think romantic attraction was definitely meant to be implied but I find it both noble and sad that they held hands and hugged at the end rather than kissed.

6. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    It would have been cool if at the end. After he tells her "your father would have been proud."
    And they're waiting for the end:

Cassian: "Jyn... I....."
    Jyn: "sshhh...I know."

7. zero_point_zero

Jan 5, 2016
    I just think the trend in SW films nowadays is that less is more when it comes to romance. It was downplayed somewhat in TFA, and that tendency continues here. I think the sentiment may be that there is too much going on in these movies to get bogged down in 'will they, won't they?' subplots.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hoping that Finn and Rey share a romantic scene in the ST at some point. And a kiss between Cassian and Jyn would have made sense to most of us. But again, idk that its a direction that the current braintrust is that invested in.

captaingasma and Ricardo Funes like this.
  8. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Thats true about what the braintrust is invested in.

zero_point_zero likes this.
  9. Aetius888

Aetius888 Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2005
    I like that they are equals on some level. And that Cassian isn't turned into a wimp to make Jyn look better. Unlike The Force Awakens.

Just two characters in a partnership with respect for the other.

10. PalpShouldLive

PalpShouldLive Jedi Master star 2

Jun 13, 2005
    I hate all the shipping people try to do with characters...

It's like... hey Tarkin and Krennic...there was some tension there...probably romantic feelings... because you're meanest to the people you like the most... wait, what? Nahhh.

I didn't sense anything romantic between Rey and Finn. Other than Finn being like a little puppy tagging along wanting to lick Rey's face.

Jyn and Cassian ended up with them trusting each other with their lives, after a rough start. Mutual respect and platonic love, like between brothers in arms. Not all love needs to be expressed with a kiss. Was perfect how it was.

Edit: Hand holding did imply a possibility of a future, makes the tragedy of Rogue One even more tragic. Good movie is good.

11. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Is it possible for them to meet in the Force, like Chirrut told his friend Baze?

I prefer to think that they met in the Force and lived together there.

But, yeah, the movie was perfect. All is implied. We will never know if they kissed in the elevator (they did :) )

solostarwars, Avnar and STUBRIS like this.
  12. Kopy.Kunoichi

Kopy.Kunoichi Jedi Knight

Dec 21, 2015
    I'm gonna go with, they kissed in the elevator and that's what led to the hand-hold/hug at the end. Didn't need to be seen, but it was definitely headed for more than just platonic respect. Sexual tension was established, but not the focus...which is fine.

xyloren, Avnar and B99 like this.
  13. LazyJC22

LazyJC22 Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 10, 2002
    "Follow the Force, and you'll find me". Great line I missed the first time I saw the film, but caught it the second time.

I'm glad they didn't try to stuff a romance into the film. Jyn and Cassian's relationship goes from distrust, to loathing, to being inspired my one another to do their duty, to a mutual respect and appreciation for one another in the face of certain death. They met their end in a good way. No need to cheapen all of that with a physical expression. Their emotional connection at that point was enough.

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    As anyone who has been to war or had a very hairy situation with fellow soldiers/police/fire fighters etc etc can attest - You get closer in those situations! Hell even boxers or mma fighters after they have thrown everything at each other sometimes hug at the end :cool:

And I don't want to start anything with this comment (as it is just 1 mans opinion) but I wonder if some of the backlash to romance in previous Star Wars films have made them gun shy...? In any other blockbusters Poe and Rey and Cassian and Jyn would have hooked up!

Dr_Cthulhu likes this.
  15. scum&villainy

scum&villainy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 8, 1999
    Romance implies but not displayed. Subtle and very deliberately handled. Perfect.

Avnar likes this.
  16. SienneRe

SienneRe Jedi Master star 2

Mar 23, 2016
    I really like how "open to interpretation" it is. Do you want to believe in the elevator kiss? Go ahead.
    Do you prefer simply platonic relationship? No problem.

I think kiss on screen would be unnecessary and the lack of it made the finale hug even more powerful and sad.
    Because there could have been something more. In different times and different galaxy...

(I'm from the elevator kiss fraction tho XD)

17. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hmmm, I have a really strong feeling that Jyn and Cassian did kiss in the elevator... Resulting in that strong bond between them, more than just comrades-in-arms, and the fact that they held each other tightly in the face of certain doom makes the ending of Rogue One even more emotionally shattering...

Also, like what some of you said, had this been any other war-like movie than Rogue One, Jyn and Cassian would have survived the carnage in the end... And subsequently retiring from duty to become a couple!

Avnar likes this.
  18. frail47

frail47 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 11, 2016
    Their gaze on the elevator was pretty intense. Some people in the theater during one of the showings I went to were expecting a kiss there. I'm glad they didn't. The look Jyn gave Cassian after they were cleared to enter Scarif, the gaze in the elevator, and the hand holding and embrace on the beach were subtle and effective enough for me. After Cassian's speech to her on Yavin IV the dynamic between them changed for the better. However, given the time and context, there just wasn't much of an opportunity for a whole lot to happen.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm with everyone who said they were glad there was no kiss at the end. There was too much going on as it was.

Had they both lived I could see a romance blooming and would not have objected to it, but in this movie, no.

And I am a Finn/Rey shipper so not opposed to romance in Star Wars, just not a fan of sudden hot-and-heavy romances in any franchises.

20. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    Going into the end scene for Jyn and Cassian, I was 50-50 on whether they would kiss, because there had been a few subtle implications of their getting closer before that. And then... they did NOT kiss but embraced as they faced death, and it immediately made the ending immeasurably great for me. There is a lot left to the imagination: perhaps if they had lived, they could have been friends, or a couple, or done more for the Rebellion as comrades. But at the moment of their death, they were not alone, they had each other, and they had accomplished what they set out to do. Great ending!

21. Rogue69

Rogue69 Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2016
    "No Romance" was ordered by Disney. In Disney's World, there is no thing such as the love between a man and a woman or even intercourse. Babies are delivered by Storks.

Jyn and Cassian could easily have been two lovers, two young good looking single protagonists who were not siblings. I mean, Cassian would of course have do chance in comparison to Porkins, but Porkins was not in the movie at all.

A relationship between Jyn and Cassian would have made them less "sterile"... it seems that the only thing in life, that kept them going, was the hatred towards the empire...

22. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016

Yes, maybe they would become a couple, or not. SW never showed a couple like "I met you yesterday, do you want to marry me?". That's why I think there was no FinnRey kiss in the VII (it was very early), maybe they will become a couple in the VIII or IX.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. Darth Imbecillis

Darth Imbecillis Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2016
    Um... "blink and you'll miss it" romance still counts as romance in my book. "Open to interpretation" romance does, too. "What might have happened if..." romance as well.

I count Jyn & Cassian in the latter category. I don't think they kissed in the elevator, and I'm glad the dynamic was as subtle as it was. But I don't need fanfiction to read the bittersweet "in another life, we might have been happy together, and at least we have each other now to hold onto" into those last moments. Their young lives were stolen from them, including their chance at experiencing love. If that's not a tragic romance, I don't know what is.

It's weird that nowadays you need kissing and declarations and hot and heavy action to count as "romance", but I suppose the days when meaningful glances and subtle touches of the hand counted for something are long gone. Except for those who watch period drama, I suppose. (Though even period drama isn't what it used to be... *shakes her walking stick and croaks at everybody to get off her lawn*)

24. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I honestly didn't notice a romance between the two. I thought it was more of a friendship. A good friendship, but a friendship nonetheless.

25. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    From what I've heard about the novelization and from what I gathered from the movie...there were definitely some strong developing feelings involved...they just never got the chance to act on them. I get the impression that Disney's tack with romance in the new Star Wars films is that it has to be "earned." No "twue wuv in two hours." Besides, if we remember the OT...there were only little hints at romance in ANH, and infamously just as many between Luke and Leia as Luke and Han! Same in the prequels: Anakin and Padme don't become a couple until Episode II. Basically...romance has almost always been a slower process in Star Wars films.

Cassian and Jyn would have felt "earned" at the end IMO...but as noted...didn't really get the chance (though there might have been a kiss in the elevator).

There was definitely chemistry and tension there, particularly in the last third of the movie. And Cassian seems to get attached pretty quickly...see how freaked out he gets about Jyn on Eadu. Though that may also just be part of reinforcing to the audience that Cassian really is a "good guy" underneath the occasionally-cold intelligence operative exterior.