main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT OT only fans - Thoughts on Rogue One, and will you add it to the collection?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Avnar, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Hi guys,

Just curious - What did you think of Rogue One, and will you watch it now alongside the OT?

I (just like a few of you) just couldn't see the PT happening in the same world as the OT - It...just...didn't gel. I made peace with it a few years back and just decided to watch the OT. I quite liked the TFA, but will wait to see how that plays out...

I loved Rogue One...loved it! I will now watch the films in this order - RO, ANH, ESB, ROTJ! I think it belongs alongside the great trilogy and actually adds to ANH. I think they captured the look, the feel and the aesthetic of the originals. Planets that actually look like places you could visit. The costumes, the weapons, the characters etc etc etc

Every Star Wars film since ROTJ (to me at least) has never really captured the way I felt about the OT (TFA came pretty close) but this film did. I will even go so far as to say some of the designs (Deathtroopers for e.g.) are as good/if not better than some of the OT ones.

I also think Darth Vader was redeemed in this film...and by redeemed I mean he got back to the menacing figure I felt got diminished by the PT. If you just watch these films your first introduction to Vader is on the volcano planet where he fought Obi Wan like the backstory we always had!

THOUGHTS??

:cool:

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm with you 100 percent on this. I would go so far as to say that Rogue One had more of an OT feel than TFA, given that the First Order is Empire Wannabe and not as menacing.

I love the idea of watching Rogue One and then watching the OT immediately following, and will probably do that next week since I'm on vacation until after New Year's.

3. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I already watched RO and ANH back to back (once I got home) and it was great! I always watched Empire and Jedi back to back as it was because (even though there is a 6 month gap) it feels like a continuation...

There are only a couple of minor things I would change with RO and that's more sideburns :D and get rid of Dr Evezian and Ponda - Cool, but just not necessary haha ...oh and my last scene would have been Luke looking up at Vaders ship attacking Leias through his binoculars (cut scene from ANH) - Wouldn't that have been something!

4. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    My friend asked my thoughts and I told him this was a hardware film, not software. If one wants for character development one may have concerns. A concern that will take a long time to tease apart (mine alone) is how Galen is not a twee just so story, but may find some threads of complexity in J. R. Oppenheimer's sympathies with the Communist party. He had no sympathies with the enemy of the current war, but whether he knew it or not he was being guided into preparing for the next war. The tests conducted by the death star also ask for analysis and comparison to the various nuclear tests conducted up until the nuclear test ban treaty. It also merits interrogation on how much it was or was not a recapitulation of Battle of Endor.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  5. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I sometimes wonder if the prequels had used most of the same designs as the OT like TFA did instead of new designs if they would have been received better.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing. Which is why many fans are able to overlook the faults of TFA.

6. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Absolutely!

Even the people I know that dislike the PT acknowledge there are some damn good stuff in there! It has Darth Maul, the pod race, the 3 way lightsaber fight (That will probably never be beaten on screen...ever) Kamino (great planet idea) the end battle on Geonosis etc etc etc - it just mainly comes down to aesthetic. Obviously this is not the thread for it but for what it's worth I think you are right. I also think Darth Vader and his portrayal is a big sticking point.

TFA and it's impact will not be felt until we have the complete picture to be honest (imo)

DaffyTheWizard likes this.
  7. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Of course, just like the previous 7 films.
    It was far better than TFA, but behind RotS, TESB and ANH.

MidKnighT likes this.
  8. Prequel_Rubbish

Prequel_Rubbish Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 5, 2014
    I don't think Rogue One is a good movie, but it doesn't bother me like TFA and the prequels did. Rogue One is more genuine to Star Wars I think, except that it was too-Hollywood and it had a bad script.

9. Prequel_Rubbish

Dec 5, 2014
    I agree with this. Rogue One was chaotic and kind of a story-trainwreck, but it does feel like watching the OT after it would bring order to things, if you know what I mean.

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    In what ways do you think it was too Hollywood? I thought there was a lot in there that went against the grain... The only things about it that were obviously Hollywood to me is the multicultural cast (which doesn't bother me) I assume they just do this to make as much money as possible via representation from multiple ethnic backgrounds. This has always thrown me a little because I am Australian, and I don't need a boomerang throwing crocodile hunter to identify with to see the film haha. And the traditional "Guy is about to help girl, but then she beats up several of her assailants while he stands there with that "Oh - She doesn't need my help" look. Seems that is in every action film these days...

The script was pretty good - Nothing like the sand speech from Anakin or "Got a cute boyfriend" from Finn etc

The only way Star Wars loses me (other than bad acting and over use of cgi) is when it skirts too close to real world stuff. Jedha came dangerously close to reminding me of the Middle East...but then again the whole Empre always reminded me of Nazi Germany so I am being hypocritical on this issue...

:cool:

11. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013

The original 6 films borrow alot from history. In fact the best way to understand Star Wars is to pickup a history book. Don't forget Leia's laser brain insult from TESB.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    are there ot only fans? how sad.

13. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    How is this sad? I loved LOTR but didn't like The Hobbit films... I loved the Indianna Jones trilogy but didn't like KOTCS...

Are we not allowed different opinions?

Nevermind...

14. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I think everything in Rogue One had more of a CT feel than TFA did. I view TFA as "alternative history" to the old books personally, but I liked it more for the acting than for the story per se.

I now rank my favorite SW films as follows:

1) TESB

2) ROTJ and RO

3 ANH and TFA

4) ROTS and TPM

6) AOTC

I may like the acting in the upcoming anthology films about Fett and Solo, but I doubt they will feel quite as EU-esque as Rogue One did. I hope I will be wrong, however.

I also feel this film is a good prequel to ANH. You really get the sense that this thing is a Dark Times movie for non-Force-wielding people. Vader is the only Force-wielder of consequence in the film, anyway. He had to be in there as an intermediary between the military and the nasty Emperor. Plus, that final hallway scene really makes you feel sorry for all the late Jedi who perished. Non-Force-wielders can make a difference.

Lastly, the father-daughter theme was the emotional center of the film. I felt for both Galen and Jyn. They were my favorite characters. The K droid, with his sardonic humor, and Cassian came in next. I loved Donnie Yen, too. Oh, I'd better not go on too much about RO itself. My major criticism would be some of the music per se. I didn't think the film was too Hollywood. It didn't remind me of, say, Godzilla.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The TS can correct me if I am wrong but I would guess he meant primarily-OT fans, not those who literally dislike every other aspect of Star Wars.

If he did, I should not have answered it. :p

16. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    No, just those who prefer the OT over the rest and whether or not they think RO belongs on the shelf beside them! I mainly like the OT + TFA but don't watch anything else... There are things to like in the other films/cartoon series - Just not much (imo)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  17. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    Oh definitely. The movie was made to be a prequel to ANH. Despite the few PT and CW references obviously shoehorned in by committee

18. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    That's what SW is missing!!!:p ....I could never put my finger on it until now.

That said, one definitely "Hollywood" aspect to the ethnicity of the characters is the gratuitous "Asian Martial Arts Man", which is definitely a bow to China's movie market.

Personally, I don't think of this as a bad thing, but it is what it is.

19. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    To answer the first question, no I am not buying Rogue One. I loved K-2SO and liked his relations with Cassian, but overall, not one I will revisit on my own dime again. My imagination was plenty as far as how the crew from Leia's ship got the plans.

The only thing I'd tweak is swapping out K-2SO for C-3PO in the original trilogy. That would be a lark. :p An aside, I no longer own Star Wars movies in any format, save for the hard drive in my skull. If they ever release the theatrical versions of the trilogy, I'd naturally jump, but my memories are plenty good now.

jaqen likes this.
  20. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Are you're saying you are done with Star Wars...?

21. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

I wouldn't be posting here if I was done with Star Wars. :D That said, the post LFL films/media made by Disney, Marvel Comics etc. are not my taste with very little character development etc. (though Rogue One had more than anything else I'd seen or read). I've revisited the initial six films enough now to keep what I love in my memories and toss the rest. To know me, is to know that I do not love, collect, read or see every last product of a particular fandom; even one I've been involved with for almost 40 years.

22. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    There are a few things that don't really make sense in ANH within the context of seeing Rogue One, but they are small and easy to overlook.

I would say it's a fun companion piece to the OT, and it's a movie you will enjoy MORE if you're a fan and/or have already experienced the OT.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  23. Prequel_Rubbish

Dec 5, 2014
    I think you meant to say that there are some things that don't really make sense in Rogue One given the context of ANH, if you know what I mean. ;)

jaqen, Lt. Hija, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  24. darth elyk

darth elyk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    once its out on dvd, its added. the loss of carrie is a downer to all discussions currently.

jaqen and Avnar like this.
  25. Kuro

Kuro Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 17, 2015
    Personally, I really liked it. There are some pacing problems during the first half, and aside from Jyn and Cassian, the characters are pretty forgettable, but the second half was a real blast and frankly, I just loved seeing Darth Vader at his malevolent best again. Honestly, I’d consider it the best STAR WARS film since THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK and the best Lucasfilm production since RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

Darth__Lobot, Nate787 and Avnar like this.