main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    He's addressing the religion itself as an ideology, not its followers, so I don't think it would fall under hate speech. As someone who was born in a predominantly Muslim country myself, I'm not offended by this proposal. It's driven more by fear than malice (although I'm sure there's plenty of malice too among its proponents), and when we see that the fear is to an extent justified, I can't hold it against people to have apprehensions. On a human level, I can't condemn them. But of course, as a matter of principle, it's illegal in a number of ways, yeah. [face_laugh]

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    All 6 of the world's major religions are violent, advocate or glorify violence, and have violent histories.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    ^^^ This exactly. And the idea that "all/most Muslims are terrorists" does fall under hate speech, even if discussion of the religion itself, in conjunction with discussion of the violent tendencies/histories of followers of other religions, would not necessarily.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    A round-up on Trump's lack of military knowledge from the last two days...

On needing more nukes

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/donald-trump-has-no-clue-about-nukes-1790410271

On F-35s and aircraft

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/donald-trump-now-asking-for-impossible-magic-fantasy-je-1790421607

And, in continued news, the Trump Administration's first actual act will be to force women to perform at his Inauguration against their will, because that's pretty much in line with the rest of his actions...

http://jezebel.com/the-rockettes-have-a-choice-perform-for-trump-or-lose-1790438403

Bazinga'd likes this.
  5. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

You can say that about the Catholic Church as well. How many people were killed by the Crusades, for instance. The list goes on and on.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There is a movement to contact their union (American Guild of Variety Artists) with a statement that they should not be required to perform against their will.

I don't know much about this group's union or bosses but I imagine someone is getting a cutback big enough that they feel justified taking away this group's right to choose its own clients.

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  8. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Most people are forced to do their jobs if they want to keep them, yes. It sucks that these women have to do it, but why aren't we fretting about, say, the non-political White House staff who have to wait on Trump for four years?

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Are those people unionized and forced to do it?

10. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    The Rockettes can refuse just as the White House staff can refuse. They would both get fired and for the Rockettes it would jeopardize their careers, but those are normal consequences of not doing work they were hired to do.

To be clear, employers tend to be *****y. The dance/performing arts industry can be especially *****y. How is this specifically Trump's fault? The Rockettes wouldn't have been able to refuse to perform for HRC either.

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    People quitting the White House as normal staff are entirely different than a dancer in NYC refusing to perform. One would likely fully end one's career and the other wouldn't.

Also, why bring HRC into it -- it'd be just as crappy in reverse. And this isn't Trump's fault, other than him being the reason they don't want to perform, it's James Dolan and the union's fault. Though there is nice symmetry to women being forced to perform for Donald Trump...

Rew and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Shouldn't you be railing against the industry instead of a President-elect who has little to do with it? I don't understand your angle here. Yes, Trump is a misogynist. Why not cite his actual misogynist actions instead of this "symmetry" that ignores that **** like this happens to performers and workers all the ****ing time?

13. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Just to back that up, this is once more needed:

[​IMG]

14. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Because most of the time, it's not an overtly political act?

I mean, in most cases people are forced to work and do things they don't want to do -- but by doing so there's no political / free speech issues ascribed to the position. I've had exactly one in my almost twenty year career, but decided to go ahead with it for a variety of reasons (no, I can't say what it is but it wasn't domestic).

And the Rockettes who don't want to perform don't want to do so likely because of his actual misogynist actions.

[​IMG]

Also, since we HAVE been commenting on his (and Pence's) actual misogynistic actions... I'm not sure what you're trying to get at?

Rew likes this.
  15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    How is performing at an inaugural celebration any more "inherently political" than being the janitor that cleans the ballrooms used for it, the cooks that prepare the meals for it, the photographers that shoot it, the limousine services that have to drive guests to it, or the countless other posts people will take up as a part of their daily work without you waving some great flag of martyrdom on their behalf?

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  16. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Foxtrot Alpha has gone down hill since Tyler left.

Boeing has the F-15 Silent Eagle (F-15SE) which makes use of some stealth tech, conformal fuel tanks, and internal weapons stores. It's a variant of the F-15E which is already in service, so the F-15SE is effectively a 4th Gen ++ fighter. It's not impossible, and it wouldn't be an entirely new aircraft. Sure it would have to be slightly massaged, but the F-18 also already has a smaller radar cross section than the F-15 as well to start with, so starting from a smaller point to make it smaller with available technologies. This is of course not to mention that the more external stores you add begin to negate the effectiveness of the stealth capabilities of the aircraft, of which the F-35 has a grand total of 2 internal pylons to use. After that you start putting on external stores. Oh yeah, need a gun for CAS mission? Only the A model gets an internal gun, where as the B and C models have to mount a gun pod.

One of the main issues with the F-35 is the F-35B variant that the Marines specifically wanted to have STOVL capabilities. The entire air frame was designed around the B variant to meet those requirements (including a small redesign to accommodate the weigh specifications because it was initially over the weight requirements), and the A and C variants have suffered as a consequence. This all part of a longer on going discussion over the merits of the F-35 universal design and the effectiveness of the B model depends wholly on how well the Marines use it from their amphib carriers, or how well they deploy them in theater like they did with the AV-8B.

Really, the viability of the program is a subject of some debate considering that one of the air frames the F-35 was supposed to replace, the A-10C, is sticking around and especially since the USAF is looking into other CAS platforms to succeed the A-10 in lower intensity conflicts because of the cost associated with operating the F-35. The USAF has even gone as far as re-winging the aircraft which is going to give it some more longevity. Plus, some of the older aircraft in our inventory are slated to get upgraded systems like or similar to the AESA radar on the F-35.

It should of course be mentioned that F-22 production was terminated in favor of the promised capabilities that the F-35 held. Whether the F-35 will ever actually deliver on those promised capabilities I don't think anyone can say with certainty given the history of the program.

17. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    According to unclassified reports, the F-22 has an edge over the F-35 in stealth (RCS), aerodynamic performance and speed. The F-35's avionics (At least in block 3F and up) are superior to the F-22. Both planes were built to compliment each other in a high-risk IADS envelope (S-300/400 system).

Neither the F-15SE or Block 60+ F-16 have any where near that capability. The same can be said for the F/A-18E/F Super Hornet and there here is no way the Super Hornet can be modified (short of a total redesign) to bring an F-35 equivalent capability.

The F-35B STOVL capability give a unique capability to the Marines. The only alternative to this is to maintain the AV-8B.

I think in the end, the F-35C will be cancelled, and the Navy will continue buying Super Hornets along with some form of airborne autonomous system. The Navy was never a big fan of the F-35C.

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Come on, no need to call names.

ShaneP likes this.
  19. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Because it's all Trump's fault. It's all due to Trump. This stuff literally didn't exist in any substantive portion during Lord Obama's reign. It all magically occurred now that Trump is President elect. Please get with their program.

20. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I'm starting to see appleseed's point.
    I asked in what ways the US can protect itself against tyranny - no serious replies.
    Dp posts about a dancer or a plane - yap yap yap yap yap yap

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Who cares about dictatorships when you try and point-score against fellow JCers, and prove you're better than them?

SuperWatto likes this.
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Do you expect serious replies about tyranny in a Community thread on a Star Wars messageboard?

We can't even compare/contrast to Palpatine here, otherwise Ender gets grumpy! :p

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Point scoring against JCCers is kind of the thing here. It's one thing for diggy from 2013 to not know that, but SuperWatto you oughta know that by now!

Diggy and SuperWatto like this.
  24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Your post got minimal replies because it was silly. There are already institutional protections against abuses. If they don't serve, most other alternatives probably won't.

25. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i think my problem was more that it felt a little silly and naive to list the protections against tyranny in the wake of us spending a year listing all the common sense reasons trump could never win. like a fascist united states seems about as crazy to me as president donald trump did. novel times i guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.