main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Seeking Help to 'Fix' a piece of Star Wars

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by TheSithWriter, Dec 25, 2016.

?

Since it's easy to guess what the Wookiees are saying, should there be subtitles for them?

1. Yes, that's much better than untranslated growls.

25.0%
  2. No, I can roughly tell what they're saying without subtitles. It's not like they're Hutts.

75.0%
  1. TheSithWriter

TheSithWriter Jedi Master

Aug 7, 2003
    Maybe it's because I'm a writer, so I don't always see things as they are, but what they could be. This is one reason that I do not hold the same dislike for the Star Wars Holiday Special that most people do.

To me, it was a rather interesting look at the regular citizens' lives under Imperial dominion, and Kashyyyk in particular. Thanks to YouTube, and I was able to download it and I have been making a few changes to it.

To start off with, I got rid of several elements that made it seem like a bad TV special, and replaced them or left them out altogether.

In the latter category, I removed the tumbling act near the beginning in its entirety. Instead, Attichitcuk wants to let Lumpawarrump watch the disc, but Mallatobuck (all Wookiees referred to hereafter by their nicknames) makes him assist her in the kitchen instead, much to a petulant young Wookiee's disappointment.

The former category, items replaced, were relatively easy. I removed the awful Don Pardo style announcement detailing the Holiday Special's stars and guests, and replaced it with a new opening crawl like (most of) the movies, thanks to a wonderful fan site's service. I also gave it a new title: The Holiday Homecoming. I also replaced the closing credits with credits in the style of the movies and TV series, although they haven't turned out as cleanly as I'd prefer. That could be worked on too. I also removed the weird dissolve at the end to show Wookiees walking across space into a bright light, because seriously - what in the kriff was that?! The last, and most major change I have been able to make on my own, is the REMOVAL of the Sith-cursed Jefferson Starship performance (You're welcome!)! I replaced it with "Da Hut Moona" footage from the Clone Wars episode "The Hunt For Ziro" (again, courtesy of YouTube).

There are a few more things I would like to do with "The Holiday Homecoming" before I share it on YouTube, but I do not possess the knowledge or skilz at this time to do them right. This is why I am seeking help from JC forum members who may possess the skill to do this bit justice.

1) Chewbacca's flashback - As you may recall, Chewbacca has a memory flashback of the events of Episode IV: A New Hope very close to the end of the special, with the footage surrounded by a hazy blue ring. I am adding footage of Chewbacca from his appearances in "The Clone Wars" and "Episode III - Revenge of the Sith", but I lack the software and knowledge of how to add the hazy blue ring. I wish for it to appear like these elements were always part of the story. Because of the added length to the flashback, the music needs to change too. I'm thinking still "The Throne Room" from the end of "A New Hope", but using one of the slower paced editions from the "Revenge of the Sith" soundtrack.

2) The Millennium Falcon - As you may recall, the Holiday Special employed zero new footage of our favorite hunk of junk, but rather recycled material from "A New Hope". I would like to replace this recycled footage with new material, done by CG obviously.

3) Music - This one is mainly a pipe dream, but you may recall that virtually all the music from the Holiday Special was rather cheesy bad sci-fi stuff, sometimes employing elements of John Williams' brilliant work. I am not sure if it is possible to remove the bad music from this film, but if it is possible, then I would like it gone, and I can replace it with either material from the various Star Wars soundtracks, or if someone is interested, in a new score altogether.

4) Text - There are some elements where Malla uses a comscreen and we see text written in English. If possible, I'd prefer to replace the English text with Aurebesh, and have translating subtitles beneath. (Bonus: remove the cheesy and too-loud sweeps, bleeps, and creeps from those scenes)

If anyone here is wondering why I didn't get rid of Harvey Korman, Bea Arthur, Diahann Caroll, or Art Carney, it's because I believe those classic comedians and singers are all good performers and their inclusion in this thing shows the classic Star Wars era (with only the original "Star Wars" out there) and its context at the time. (And let's be honest - even though she's passed on, who hasn't heard of Bea Arthur? :) )

If anyone here is interested and willing to work with me in 'fixing' the unloved prodigal of the Star Wars saga, please message me thru the JC forum, and let's discuss it. All I can offer is acknowledgement in the closing credits, but we can finish turning "The Star Wars Holiday Special" into "Star Wars - The Holiday Homecoming" and make it at least viewable to more Star Wars fans.

To be clear, this is NOT an official production. It is a fan-edit of a neglected piece of Star Wars by a life-long fan (and hopefully other fans), for the new fans of today. Absolutely no money is being made off of this project.

2. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    I admire you're dedication. [face_laugh] If you can't find anyone else to do Chewie's flashback I'll give it my best shot. My email is tibbettsewan@gmail.com if you want my help.

This video shows my mediocre editing skills. The Kyber Crystal at 3:39 was a still image taken from a Rogue One trailer that I made glow with Sony Vegas Pro.

3. TheSithWriter

Aug 7, 2003
    I've already worked the flashback up. :) What I need is someone to put the hazy blue-ish ring on the CW & ROTS footage. That's the only part of that sequence I am having trouble with. Can you do that? If so, I would happily accept your help!

4. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    TheSithWriter likes this.
  5. TheSithWriter

Aug 7, 2003
    Outstanding, Ewan!

I will try to send you the footage via email. Look for the subject line "Chewbacca Flashback".

6. TheSithWriter

Aug 7, 2003
    You should have the file by now. Did you get it?

7. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    I have it. It's 4am in the UK so I better get some sleep and edit in the "morning". :)

8. TheSithWriter

Aug 7, 2003
    Sounds good. I look forward to receiving the edit! :chewie:

9. TheSithWriter

Aug 7, 2003
    I'm excited to announce that the addition to Chewbacca's flashback was flawlessly achieved, thanks to Ewan Tibbetts! The footage from Clone Wars and Revenge of the Sith looks like it was always there!

Does anyone have the skilz to create some new CG footage of the Millennium Falcon? I would prefer to replace the recycled footage with new stuff.

Ewan Tibbetts likes this.
  10. TheSithWriter

Aug 7, 2003
    It's been some time, and I had some difficulties learning how to do certain spots, but I am happy to announce that my special edit of the Holiday Special, retitled "Star Wars: The Holiday Homecoming", is pretty much complete, except for one little glitch I am working on. I want to thank Ewan Tibbetts again for his invaluable contributions to making this vision a reality.

This version features most notably, the removal of the Don Pardo-style opening announcement, the holographic tumbling act, new Chewbacca footage added to his flashback near the end, and most importantly of all, the removal of the performance by Jefferson Starship, who have zero place in Star Wars! A few extra treats have also been added, but I'm not going to give them away here!

While I make no claim that the Special is good, I would hope that some people here would give it a look when I share it, and find it at least more watchable than the original version.

11. Ewan Tibbetts

Nov 13, 2016
    I'm really glad it worked out. If you think I might be able to help with the glitch please send me an email describing it.

12. TheSithWriter

Aug 7, 2003
    If anyone is at all interested, I've nearly finished my modifications to the Holiday Special, which I've retitled "The Holiday Homecoming". Ewan Tibbetts's help has been invaluable with this project, long-delayed by IRL issues. The only other thing I would actually do to it is remaster and clean up the original footage, but I have neither the software or the knowhow to do it. If anyone is willing to help, please message me!

The tumblers are gone, Jefferson Starship is gone (replaced with Sy Snootles and the Dancing Huttettes from "Hunt for Ziro"), the Don Pardo opening 'announcement' is gone and replaced with a specially made opening crawl (which personally, imho, helps set up the story a little better). The TV-style closing credits are gone, replaced with something closer to the movie style (thanks again, Ewan!), as is the weird funky sequence of the robed Wookiees walking thru space into a star (seriously, what in the worlds was that?!). I kept the sequences with Harvey Korman and Bea Arthur, because I really liked the two of them, as well as Diahann Caroll, though I cut the psychadelic effect intro of her act directly to her appearance.

What I would've done, if I could: Create new CG footage of the Millennium Falcon for the space sequences, to better convey what was actually going on in the story, instead of just recycling footage from Episode IV. Ex. Show the Falcon fighting through an Imperial convoy with transports and cargo vessels such as those seen on Rebels, not just TIEs. Also, show how locked down under Imperial control Kashyyyk is, with a shot of the Falcon approaching the planet (not Yavin IV recycled), and seeing Star Destroyers, including the Executor, in orbit. Sadly, my CG imaging skilz are nonexistent.

Remove background music from Vader's dialogue so the Holiday Special muzak could be replaced with something more Imperial, plus show the Executor (I was half able to do this, utilizing a clip from "Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire)

I plan to share this video, when it's finally finished, on Vimeo, or in segments on YouTube, cuz the last vid I posted there was taken down. Ok, I don't know the exact limits on there.

Thanks all.

Ewan Tibbetts likes this.