main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story... score now by Michael Giacchino

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Nov 2, 2015.

1. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    I really really love the score. If you soak in the last three tracks which are the suites, you'll clearly see all the main themes he created for the film. Then go back and listen to the score. Jyn's theme is all over the place with tons of variations. If you listen to the David Collins commentary on the latest episode of the Oxygen podcast you'll hear how Giacchino built Jyn's theme from a small moment in the ANH score with Obi-Wan getting the message from Leia about the plans. So Jyn's theme ends up actually being the theme for the Death Star plans.

When you start to analyze some of the themes used (the intervals chosen in the melody, the chords, the rhythms, it's clear that MG wrote some as the precursors to a theme in the classic trilogy. The hope theme is a clear precursor to Luke's theme (the SW main title), Krennic's theme is a precursor to the Imperial March, Guardians of the Whills has parts of Yoda's theme and the Force theme, etc. there was a ton of care and thought out into this. The first time watching the movie this was a negative for me because I'd hear something starting out familiar and it would go in a different direction. But after listening to the score, and going back to rewatch the film, it is genius. The familiar themes shouldn't be all over this movie, because we are before ANH. The new themes set up the landscape for the classic themes of the original trilogy.

From a pure perspective of listening pleasure, "Your Father Would Be Proud" is some of the most emotional and moving music we've ever heard in Star Wars. Right up there with the best of John Williams. As time goes on and we will have seen this film several times, those moments and the score that is the accompaniment will likely be seen as iconic. The scene and track directly following, with Vader doing his thing, is ALREADY iconic.

My only issue with the score has more to do with the film itself and not MG. I would have loved to see a crawl at the beginning with the SW main title leading up to "He's Here For Us". I completely get what they were doing in not using a crawl to set this apart from the saga films, and this movie IS the crawl for ANH. But a crawl setting up what is going on would have been useful for casual fans. When listening to the score on its own, the main title would have been a better opening track. But again, this has nothing to do with Giacchino and more with Lucasfilm's decision.

9.5/10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I heard tell of a FYC site for Rogue One's score, like the one for The Force Awakens. Anyone know if it's true and/or have the URL?

3. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
  4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Thanks, I found it in the R1 forum and downloaded all the track titles I did not recognize. Dope!

5. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Heck yeah, the FYC tracks!

I've already made myself a "Complete (for now)" Score utilizing tracks on the OST and the FYC. I've got a really nice collection of canon Star Wars music now, including all the released tracks for TCW and Rebels and the Battlefront game.

cwustudent likes this.
  6. gioA

gioA Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2014
    Wish I knew how to do this but I assume discussion is off-limits

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I don't see why it would be, Disney released the tracks themselves on their official site. I just used firefox and right clicked on each page with a new track in the media player, then chose View Page Info. If you go to the Media tab, about halfway down is the mp3 track. Highlight it and click the Save button.

Darkslayer and cwustudent like this.
  8. gioA

gioA Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2014
    I don't have Firefox.
    Is there any other way using chrome or explorer?

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I imagine Chrome will show that stuff too, but I don't know where. I don't like Chrome.

10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Still no Yavin IV music (I am thinking of the first arrival and Bail cues).

:(

DarthMak, Larsonator and cwustudent like this.
  11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Question:

I swear the music for Jedha, when we first see Bodhi and co. in the desert, is different than the soundtrack. It's a combination of that electric-sitar bit at 0:55 in "Trust Goes Both Ways" and the longer but more toned-down version at 1:04 in "Jedha Arrival". The latter is when Jyn and Cassian are watching the star destroyer over the city. The quick former one in Trust is, I think, the beginning of the song when Bodhi's in the desert.

The song is fairly striking in the film. I'm hoping we get that longer version someday. Anyone know if it's been made available anywhere? (I'm guessing not...)

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Don't think so....

Does anyone have a complete cue list for Rogue One? I am hoping for something that combines the OST content and the FYC extra tracks into one list in film order.

13. Larsonator

Larsonator Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 20, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]

14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    My favorite thing about this soundtrack is probably the return of the Death Star motif. I liked "Hope" and "AT-ACT Assault" as well.

Larsonator likes this.
  15. gioA

gioA Jedi Knight

Nov 13, 2014
    Trying to get the fyc tracks. Can't do it on Firefox.
    Does anyone know how to do this on explorer or chrome?

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Not sure.

17. Takes One to Rogue One

Takes One to Rogue One Jedi Padawan

Jan 4, 2017
    Does anyone know when the next volume of Star Wars Oxygen goes up? I've been checking frantically for like a month now, the last one was before Christmas. There's a minor motif that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, which I think may be an identifer for Cassian. I'm hoping it gets brought up on the show.

BenYodaDagobah likes this.
  18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Ugh I still need to listen to that Oxygen thing.

19. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000

I keep checking. Nothing. Normally its a monthly thing, but sometimes they get delayed.

I'm trying to figure out why the RO soundtrack makes me think of Saving Private Ryan. Anyone know if there's any musical similarities? I could just be imagining it.

20. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    I've been checking for the next Oxygen too and also sent them a few emails about my thoughts on the score and some things I picked up from you guys. In the meantime, Takes One to Rogue One would you mind pointing out the music for Cassian? I'd love to listen and discuss it.

21. Takes One to Rogue One

Takes One to Rogue One Jedi Padawan

Jan 4, 2017
    Sure.

0:00-0:25, 0:48-0:50, 1:24-1:143, Jedha City Ambush:

I remember this part of the movie being when Cassian draws attention to himself after shooting one of Saw's guys.

0:45-0:58, 1:27-1:36, An Imperial Test of Power (FYC)

The horns at 0:52-1:00, Approach to Eadu (FYC)

1:44-1:55, No Trust Among Rebels (FYC)

0:36-2:44, 2:51-3:53, 4:48-4:51, Confrontation on Eadu
    3:53-4:00 and 4:07-4:14 could be a more developed statement, or something else. It's the rebels bombing the platform and I believe it pops up again later on.
    The opening horn from Jedha City Ambush is repeated at 2:40

1:13-1:24, Scrambling the Rebel Fleet
    https://youtu.be/R-M3k7TqfDA?t=72

0:07-0:28, Are We Blind (FYC)
    https://youtu.be/0urZn3m9Xc8?t=6

1:14-1:24, 2:30-2:37
    https://youtu.be/Mky0AhrFFwg?t=73

Of course, it could be that this is just an action motif used through the movie (like Follow Me in TFA and Escape from Naboo in the prequels).

22. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001

Off the top of my head, I am not sure. No real similarities jumped out to me, and I know the SPR score pretty well. I would be curious to know as well!

23. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000
    I'm probably just imagining it. I've only seen SPR once. Maybe its because much of RO's soundtrack seems very generic war movie-ish to me, and SPR is the only war movie I've seen.

24. BenYodaDagobah

BenYodaDagobah Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2016
    Interesting. Other than the Jedi City Ambush and Confrontation on Eadu cues, I didn't notice it. The FYC tracks definitely helped out. I thought the motif in Follow Me was just action cues too until someone pointed it out as Finn's theme, so you could be onto something. Thanks for sharing!

25. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    If you are a fan of film music you definitely should!