main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 2017 Fitness Goals

Discussion in 'Community' started by anakinfansince1983 , Jan 1, 2017.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Welcome to the 5th edition of the annual fitness goals thread. This is where we talk about what we are doing workout-wise and offer support and encouragement.

So beyond "Don't get blown up" and "Be fit enough to survive a nuclear wasteland," let's talk about what we're going to be doing this year.

I had scaled back my workouts to 1-2 days a week this fall and I need to do something about that, so the initial goal is to schedule 1-2 midweek workouts.

Last year I did a triathlon that was almost Olympic-length, about 7 miles short of it total--1000-meter swim, 18-mile bike and 4.5 mile run, whereas an Olympic tri is a 1200-meter swim, 22-mile bike and a 10K. I hope to do one Olympic-length one this year.

On the schedule for the next few months are two 4-mile runs and a 10K.

2. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I tried to start the Couch to 10K program last year, went through a bout of severe depression and ended up spending all my free time lounging on the sofa stuffing my face full of ice cream and pizza. I'm not going to claim to regret doing it, ice cream is a great source of stress relief, but the results are showing. I've gone from being so skinny that my family once held an intervention because they thought I was bulimic, to having formed a rather unsightly gut.

So the moment the current cold snap eases off a bit I'm going to take up the 10k program again.

3. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    I am going to get back on my positive thinking program today. Was doing so great until early December and simply must get back on course. I know I need more than walking 5 days a week too, so I will incorporate stretching and walking up and down our stairs a few times a day (beyond what I already do as my computer is up in the loft).

Will probably tear our storage closet apart looking for the resistance band program my mom ordered a couple of years ago and never used.

I'm okay with my diet. I eat well, cheat a day or two here or there and then get back on the band wagon. For me, it's the mental / emotional side and more exercise that really has to come into play.

4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Goal: not to die

5. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
    My friend and I are going to try to swim at least twice a week. I've gotten so much more fit over the last two years of farm life and I'm excited to take another step to add more fitness.

I can ride and do things and jump higher than I've been able to in about 12 years with less pain, not pain free but I don't expect that to ever happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Nothing at all wrong with that. Just the other day my mom was talking about her 80-20 rule: 80% of the time, eat healthy and reasonable amounts, and there's nothing wrong with a little extra indulgence the other 20% of the time, as long as you don't go nuts. She's been very healthy and fit most of her life, and is still in decent shape at 77.

7. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Sound advice; nutritional counselor mom tells me this all the time; but diet is only part of the equation (mind and body are the other two, along with water.) :D

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I have co-workers who are all about dieting, up to and including subsisting on nothing but smoothies, and they look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them that I refuse to diet.

I eat healthy and I love to work out.

9. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    2016 was a mix for me with better nutrition but dropped off the gym the second half due to finances and planning stuff. For 2017 I'm looking at alternatives to the gym since the one near me is $60 a month and lol I can't justify that right now. There are some aerial/lyra/silk classes down the street from my house so I might check some beginner courses out, just so I'm not sitting on the couch forever. I just want to keep myself moving more than taking walks until I can figure out a new gym situation.

10. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    Yup. You can't exist on only smoothies...you're doing it right: exercise and eating healthy is the key. I personally could not live only on raw veg, so I have some animal protein here and there.

11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I've been drinking too much, eating too much ice-cream & chocolate, and not running much these last few weeks. My local hospital gave me an infusion of iron directly into my veins recently though, and my runs when I've done them have felt great. I think think I need to make that iron infusion a regular thing. It's awesome.

12. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
    I took a free SoulCycle class back in October and I totally get the hype. I want to start doing those classes more often, once a week! I just find it ironic that I love spin classes when I don't know how to ride a bike lol.

13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Welcome to 2017 everyone. Good luck with your fitness goals for the year and thanks to anakinfansince1983 for refreshing the thread for the new year.

Yeah, the very word diet used as a verb is a bit loaded for me. It suggests something other than your normal diet (noun), when I think the goal should be finding something which is healthy and maintainable which can be your normal diet (noun).

As for me this year, I think some strength work is going to be the goal. Specifically some core strength work. I love running and so all of my goals in recent years have been running related. I really dislike the gym and I don't much enjoy lifting things, but when I trained for my last marathon in 2015 I did a few months of core stability work and I think it helped me achieve my running goal at that time. I've dropped off it since then and last year when I tried to do some PBs for the half and the 10k I fell short. I like to think it was a lack of strength, as opposed to an excessive of age, which was my problem. The age thing I can't help, so I guess I need to address the strength issue!

14. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I am still keeping the dream of taking a martial art in my mind....(easy with all those kung fu heroes and heroines floating around in there); Working on clearing out the obstacles to this.

15. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

I've seen old ladies fencing while leaning on walkers, so I know any obstacle can be overcome if you choose to overcome it. There is no try, so just do it! =D=

16. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I was doing okay with going for long walks last summer, but as it started getting cooler I really dropped off exercising and it makes me feel like crap.

I'm going to start slow, and try to do two days a week in the gym to start, and then work up to three or four. I'd ultimately like to go back to dance class and there is a place right around the corner that does adult ballet, tap, jazz, theater dance, etc.. but I want to be in a little better shape/more flexible before I try to take class. So I'm going to set myself a goal of starting a dance class by April.

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    In the autum I started to go to a personal trainer at the gym, I'm doing once a week with her and one on my own. My goal is to keep on going there, and possibly add a third on my own. If only the lakes would freeze the third time wouldn't be a problem since me and my sister have a plan to go out long distance skating every weekend, I'm not trusting the ice yet though.

My goal for the year is:
    1. Finish a 30 km ski race in under 3 hours (of course depending on snow conditions and my luck with ski wax). The race takes place at the end of February.
    2. Sign up and go through with a 10 k race at the end of May

I also really want to drop a clothes size. It's not that I'm eating bad, it's just that I need to find a balance in how much I'm eating. Also being a diabetic (type 1, so it's the auto-immune version and not the lifestyle version) means weight loss is a real struggle, since insulin is a growth hormone and when you can't regulate it automatically it's easy to gain weight and a pain to loose it again. At the moment I'm weighing 10 kilos more than I did 2 years ago, and I'm not happy about it.

18. yeurgh

yeurgh Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2016
    Breaking thread rules with my first post, but here's a suggestion for folks taking up exercise for the new year: find something you love. Seriously. If you fall in love with the process, you're way more likely to stick with it and the results will just be a happy side effect. If you're completely new to sports/exercise, why not try a whole bunch of stuff? That kind of variety is great for complete beginners and will give an opportunity to see if there's anything out there that really rings your bell. If you force yourself to do something you hate, chances are you won't stick with it.

I'm focusing on static strength this year. I have two powerlifting comps: regionals in April, nationals in September. Goals are 550kg/1200lbs total in April, 580kg/1280lbs total in Sept. Comps are raw (no wraps, suits, straps, sleeves) and drug tested (no chemical help). Accountable here as these are my first 'proper' powerlifting comps where the results will be published.

19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I went for a walk in the woods and fresh snow today. Most of the way it was about a foot deep, fairly light and dry, but that's still enough to make it an extra effort to walk through it. Some places is was more than 2 feet deep, and walking in that stuff gives me a nice little workout.

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I had my first jog of the year today, and it felt fantastic. I seem to be running with a shorter stride, which may account for the way I've barely noticed the hills on my last few runs. Anyway, very positive feeling.

On the downside, my hip aches. Probably arthritis. :(

Juliet316, yeurgh and Sarge like this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Shorter strides are definitely better for going up hills; it's just like downshifting on a bike or car.

yeurgh, Juliet316 and soitscometothis like this.
  22. PatttyB0123

PatttyB0123 Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 2, 2003
    Do more weight training. I need to improve my muscles.

23. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Awesome! People lifting weights makes me happy. Getting stronger makes life better :)

24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    You'd be overjoyed to see me shoveling the half-frozen slush this morning, yeurgh_unhinged. Stuff was like depleted uranium.

yeurgh likes this.
  25. yeurgh

Dec 12, 2016
    Excellent, Sarge! This makes me :)

Sarge likes this.