main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The 2017 Box Office Bloodsplatter

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 3, 2017.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

A new year, a new slate of films!

As before, try to keep the box office reports about Rogue One's performance primarily to the 2016 thread, even though we'll obviously be able to touch upon it here in the weekly totals as they become available.

2017 looks to be a curious beast. June looks like the only really crowded month this year, while October has a lot of big horror franchise sequels announced (spanning a wide range of originating decades). I also get the impression that 2017 is something of a "revenge of the naughties" with an unusual amount of sequels or reboots to properties that debuted in the early/mid-00's (over a dozen by my count without even counting Logan or Spider-Man).

Some key films over the course of the 2017, currently (obviously subject to change and not limited to):

Jan: Underworld: Blood Wars, xXx: The Return of Xander Cage, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter, Patriot's Day, Split, The Bye-Bye Man, Monster Trucks.
    Feb: Rings, John Wick: Chapter 2, The LEGO Batman Movie, Fifty Shades Darker, The Great Wall.
    March: Logan, Ghost in the Shell, Kong: Skull Island, Beauty and the Beast, Power Rangers, CHiPs.
    April: The Fate of the Furious, Smurfs: The Lost Village, The Circle.
    May: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Alien: Covenant, Pirates of the Carribean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Snatched, Baywatch.
    June: Wonder Woman, The Mummy, Cars 3, Transformers: The Last Knight, Despicable Me 3.
    July: Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes, Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Dunkirk, The Dark Tower.
    August: Annabelle 2, The Emoji Movie.
    September: The LEGO Ninjago Movie, IT, The Inhumans, Flatliners.
    October: Blade Runner 2049, Kingsman: The Golden Circle, Friday the 13th, Insidious: Chapter 4, Saw: Legacy, Cloverfield 2017.
    November: Thor: Ragnarok, Creed 2, Justice League, Coco, Murder on the Orient Express.
    December: Star Wars: Episode VIII, Jumanji, The Six Billion Dollar Man, Pitch Perfect 3,
    TBD/TBA: Death Wish, Splinter Cell, Super Troopers 2.

Todd the Jedi , Rylo Ken and Diggy like this.
  2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Pretty sure the #1 is gonna be Episode VIII

3. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    LEGO Batman, Logan, Beauty and the Beast, Guardians, WW, Cars 3, Spider-Man, Apes, The Dark Tower, IT, Thor, Justice League and Star Wars are the ones I'll definitely see. So up a couple from last year, I think.

4. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    CHiPs? I was unaware Jon and Ponch were back in business.

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    There's a new Death Wish?

6. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Episode VIII, Fate of the Furious and the Transformers sequel are the most likely choices to dominate the global box office. Guardians 2 and Despicable Me 3 are major contenders.

I'd like Dunkirk to do well or at least be better than Inception or Interstellar.

Don't have a lot of hope for Alien/Blade Runner sequels.

Violent Violet Menace and Sarge like this.
  7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why does the Transformers franchise still have a following?

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    China.

9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Blood Ocean was robbed! ROBBED!

Rylo Ken likes this.
  10. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm cheering for Ghost In The Shell to do well and/pr get decent reviews especially since some folks are so against ScarJo.

That's a hell of a nerd list of movies for this coming year.

Sarge and soitscometothis like this.
  11. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I think GitS is looking very strong visually, hopefully it will be as strong as I've heard.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I wonder if The Emoji Movie will be as lazy and terrible as the title suggests.

13. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    [face_bleh]

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yeah, I'm not really wondering.

Wait....

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Chris Pine for Sgt. Getraer, I hope.

As far as those I'll watch - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Blade Runner 2049, and Episode VIII in theatres, and maybe The LEGO Batman Movie, and Alien: Covenant too, but likely I'll wait for home release for those two.

16. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think Super Troopers 2 will make a ton of money, but they have the advantage of having raised most of their budget money through GoFundMe, so even if they bomb it won't be too big a waste, but it might mean no more Broken Lizard for a long while.

17. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    They should just move to straight to digital release. That's where they belong with their limited fan base.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Isn't that true of 1/3 of the films listed? Do some even have a fan base? Is anyone itching to see CHiPs or Six Billion Dollar Man?

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll save that one for next year. [face_devil]

Some of the entries on the list that I included were more out of performance interest than the likelihood of them being actual box office forces affecting other releases this year.

For instance, Monster Trucks is not going to be a success. After being shelved, delayed and just looking bad in general, it's more a question of how bad it'll do than if it'll break even or open big.

20. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    You never know what might be a hit. Broken Lizard has a track record of underperforming theatrically and doing well on home release.

21. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    So it's true, you are a Hollywood Producer!

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I dare you to ask that on the CHiPs or Six Billion Dollar Man fan forums.

Diggy likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You don't want to venture in there- the debates over Billion vs Million are explosive. ;)

EHT likes this.
  24. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Damn you inflation!

25. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets, Dunkirk, Episode XIII are really the only big movies of 2017 that seem interesting. I'm sure there will be some good smaller films. I'm always hopeful for something as unexpected as "The Lobster."

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.