main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One After Leia is captured in ANH, Vader states that 'several transmissions were beamed to the ship'

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by enzo90, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enzo90

enzo90 Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 28, 2016
    What does this mean? The plans were already beamed up and then fed directly to R2D2 once the ship was attacked. (And as we all know, the trilogy begins from there.) Could Vader, when saying that the transmissions were beamed by "rebel spies", be referring to the Rogue One team?

Or is he referring to other signals? If he is referring to other signals, why were transmissions being sent in the first place? If you have the plans, you'd want it to be completely secretive, and as we saw with how the plans were delivered in this "futuristic long time ago galaxy", they had to be delivered through direct radio contact or by hand. (If only we had email back then.) So why jeopardize the mission by trying to contact the ship?

2. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    Seriously?

It's not that difficult to understand if you watch either of A New Hope and Rogue One or both.

3. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Whoa

4. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Beam me up Scotty :cool:

oncafar likes this.
  5. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
  6. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999

When Jyn and Cassian beam the transmission(s) via that satellite when they are standing on the tower during the climactic moment in the movie at the very end, that is when the "transmissions were beamed up" that Vader is talking about. They beamed it to the ship above. Simple as that.

EviL_eLF and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  7. OldTimeFan

OldTimeFan Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 28, 2011
    Yes the signal was beamed Vader does not know how many were set up to receive it.
    Rebels did carry a copy from the main ship onto the blockade runner but however the signal was still beamed to Leia's ship.

The Rebels that Vader killed got a copy but the signal was to open all above that world including the blockade runner.

Calling Leia's ship a blockade runner makes a lot more sense now after seeing Rogue One.

enzo90 likes this.
  8. enzo90

Mar 28, 2016
    But he says "Rebel spies." Spies. Not just rebels. When I hear "spies" I always assume it means an insider. So that's my question. Is he talking about the Rogue One team, or other spies? And he says transmissions. Only one transmission was sent from the Rogue One when on top of that tower.

9. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    First transmission was to get the shields down as for the Death Star plans they likely came in a number of pieces there was a number of lines on their screen.

10. enzo90

Mar 28, 2016
    Ah, so technically multiple people could have the signal, if other people were in the area (which they weren't, and only the Rebels were expecting the signal to copy a hard copy of it), then they could've received it to because the signal was an open signal? I know I'm overthinking this, but I like to know the whole thing.

11. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    One more thing spies Galen Erso?

Also it was a fast moving battle Vader did not know everything that happened on the ground.

12. enzo90

Mar 28, 2016
    There was a number of lines, but Vader should've been able to identify that that was one source. Though I suppose since they blew up the source, Vader wouldn't have known and seeing those signals go everywhere must've been alarming to the empire. Their super weapon was truly in jeopardy by that point.

OldTimeFan likes this.
  13. OldTimeFan

Jul 28, 2011
    What did Vader know?

His Daughter ran off with the plans who send to them down to his old master who got his son to join the quest who Vader chased down the trench and the thing still got blown up.:D

He also let them escape the Death Star even Tarkin did not approve.

It's no wonder Sidious wants to replace him.

oncafar, LadyZ and Sarge like this.
  14. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Rebel spies had infiltrated the archive and transmitted the plans to the ships in orbit... Yes, that is Jyn and Cassian being identified... they were the "Rebel Spies".

thejeditraitor and OldTimeFan like this.
  15. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    I have no idea what is happening

thejeditraitor likes this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    "Rebel spies" = the Rogue One team.

"Several transmissions were beamed to this ship" = assumption.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  17. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    enzo90 wrote

I know I'm overthinking this, but I like to know the whole thing.

I'm afraid that won't be possible (no pun) because the original ANH context by George Lucas, even though we never got all the details, implied that
    • several transmissions were beamed to "this" ship (Tantive IV) by Rebel spies (apparently containing the Death Star plans)
    • Vader was apparently able to use these transmissions to locate the Tantive IV ("I have traced the Rebel spies to her", perhaps because the original Rebel spies accidentally mentioned the ship by name)
    • Leia "passed directly through a restricted system" (extended screenplay dialogue March 15, 1976)
    Rogue One (or at least its novelization) has taken the artistic liberty to alter that original context, hence some continuity *hickups*.

Mark Pierre likes this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Oh, that line - "I have traced the Rebel spies to her" - should now probably be interpreted as "This hunt has led me to her".

19. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    "I have traced the Rebel spies to her" just implies that he's discovered her to be associated with the R1 infiltrators - which makes perfect sense.

20. enzo90

Mar 28, 2016
    But again, "several transmissions were beamed to THIS ship". So either Vader is assuming something, or when referring to that ship, he's referring to the fact that it's apart of the full cruiser. Or it's just an assumption on how the plans got there, since Vader doesn't seem to notice the plans in the final scene being given to another rebel. In fact, he doesn't seem in any hurry at all. Perhaps he thought the plans were on the ship, and not Lelia's ship, initially?

Still overthinking this.

21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    And again, YES, he assumes that the transmissions were beamed to that ship.

22. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Now Vader has become the big "Assumer"?

I prefer to stick with the obvious and original characterization in ANH. He is the antagonist who *knows* what only the audience and Leia are supposed to know (adding to the character's threat potential that made him the iconic villain back in 1977) because he has done his homework (and perhaps with a little help from the Force), but is unable to *proove* what he knows, which could have earned him a hearing in the Imperial Senate for illegally seizing and boarding a consular ship.

23. STARBOB

STARBOB Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 11, 2002
    they were even dressed up as imperials, hence spies.

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Presumably, Vader conferred with Tarkin about what had occurred prior to his arrival. Tarkin would have told him something like "Rebel spies infiltrated our base on Scarif, and stole restricted information from the archives. The base was destroyed and all the Rebels with it, but not before they managed to send the stolen information to the Rebel flagship."

Vader knew that the Profundity had received the transmissions, which is why he immediately boarded it. He was merely stretching the truth to Leia when he said "several transmissions were beamed to this ship." Vader knew the plans were aboard the Tantive IV, since he watched the ship escape.

Ricardo Funes and oncafar like this.
  25. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Vader just gets to the point, and doesn't bother with qualifiers. The more pedantic Vader, who exists in an alternate universe, said:

Pedantic Vader: "Several transmissions were beamed to a Rebel flagship by Rebel spies. Those transmissions were then converted into a data card, and carried by Rebel soldiers through an airlock and onto THIS ship, which was docked with the Rebel flagship. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent to the Rebel flagship, which were then transferred physically to this one."

Leia: "I don't know what you're talking about. Speak in shorter sentences."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.