main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Next Book? Just Finished Darth Plagueis...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Bluewaterpig, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Bluewaterpig

Bluewaterpig Jedi Padawan

Sep 17, 2014
    I really enjoyed the Darth Plagueis novel. I think it's accurate to say that what Rogue One does to A New Hope, Darth Plagueis does to The Phantom Menace...they both set up the next story and left off right before the following one starts.

I'm looking for my next book. I think I'm more interested in a story about the Sith but I'm open to suggestions. I like stories that pertain to the history of the movies (spoiler alert - details about the Darth Plagueis novel ahead), like I loved how Darth Plagueis was the one who actually came up with the idea of the clone army and persuaded Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas to place the order, and the whole side story about Sideous training Darth Maul.

I would like my next book to have these same kind of elements, but again...I'm open for suggestions. If there's a story that doesn't really have any of this but is just plain awesome and should be read by any fan, I'd be up for it.

Suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

2. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    It's hard to think of a book with all of those elements, but i think there are some you may like.

You may appreciate Cloak of Deception. It isn't a Sith book, but it is another great lead in to TPM. It's written by the same author as Plaguise and was written first. Parts of it are referenced in Plaguise, but what's nice is you'd know some of the wider plans that aren't referenced in the book. While Plaguise gives you a macro view of the Siths' plans, Cloak of Deception will give you a micro view of a specific series of events immediately before TPM and how Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon dealt with them. Plus it lets you see a lot of Palpatine's specific actions within the Senate.

Labyrinth of Evil is a lead in to ROTS and it's an amazing read. Like the first book I mentioned it's no longer canon, and has been contradicted by released information about the end of the war. Still reconciling that and this book is no more difficult than reconciling the book with the Clone Wars microseries that came out at the same time. Still I'd say canonicity doesn't matter; the book is still a great story and adds a lot of weight to ROTS.

Dark Lord Rise of Darth Vader is another good book and I enjoyed it. I'd say it's not one of my favorites by this author. But it does add some details to the beginning of Vader's time as a Sith. Along with Labyrinth of Evil and ROTS (the novelization is amazing) they form the Dark Lord Trilogy.

Catalyst is the lead in to Rogue One and is another really good book. It doesn't deal with the Sith but it does reveal a lot about the Empire. The book focused on the relationship between Galen, Lyra, and Krennic. It added a lot of depth to the movie.

Bloodline is six years before TFA, but it is a fantastic lead in to that movie. It's a Leia story and the author writes her character really well. It's probably the best Leia book I have read. Bloodline sets up the political situation in ST and tells a very interesting story. It's one of the best Star Wars books realeased

spicer and Son of a Bith like this.
  3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Cloak of Deception is by the same author, and really sets up both TPM and AOTC too.

Bloodline helps set-up TFA and Episode 8.

4. Bluewaterpig

Sep 17, 2014
  5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

I'd rank it:

1. Bloodline
    2. Cloak of Deception
    3. Tarkin
    4. Rule of Two

6. Bluewaterpig

Sep 17, 2014
    Whoops, sorry. There's a rule against posting polls that ask what your favorite book is.

Just looking for recommendations out of these 4 titles, responses are greatly appreciated.

7. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Definitely don't do Rule of Two, at all.

Bloodline, in addition to setting up TFA and Episode 8, is great writing, has a plot similar to Darth Plagueis but from the good point of view, has very enlightening worldbuiling, a great new character, and is a great Leia book.

Cloak of Deception is the most natural sequel to Darth Plagueis. Same author, references a lot of events in Darth Plagueis. But actually written before, and from a different point of view.

I haven't read Tarkin. I've heard it's good, but not amazing.

JediKnight75 likes this.
  8. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I'd say either Bloodline or Cloak of Deception. It's hard to rank them because it's been a while since I read the latter. Bloodline does stand out to me more based on my memory though. I'll try to give some of my reasoning. I'm sorry if I repeat parts of my last post.

Bloodline is an amazing book. Leia is portrayed really well and the supporting cast is also excellent. It creates a couple new characters that I love and absolutely need to see again in future stories. The book's handling of New Republic politics adds complexity to the galaxy as the ST begins. Supposedly the books is relevant to EP8 and so has added importance. However, even apart from the movies the political storyline is fantastic. This isn't just one of the best canon Star Wars books; it's easily one of the best books in the franchise.

Cloak of Deception also has a great political plot. It's connection to Plaguise does make it a great choice for your next novel. It adds a lot of depth to TPM by setting up the political situation and developing Chancellor Valorum. The characterization of Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon is pretty good and I appreciated seeing their relationship prior to TPM. Seeing the Republic pre PT is always fun because the feel of the galaxy is so different.

Tarkin is good and worth reading, but it isn't Luceno's best. His portrayal of Tarkin was really well done, but the plot isn't something you'd expect from a Tarkin book. It does reveal a lot about Tarkin's past and those sections are amazing and the book does show some interesting details about the Empire. Still there have been better portrayals of Tarkin, even from Luceno.

Rule of Two us probably not worth reading. It's not terrible, but it isn't great. If you read and enjoyed Path of Destruction, it may be worth reading eventually, but the best of the trilogy is in the first book and the rest wasn't necessary. Still, neither book really compares to the other ones mentioned. They are so much more interesting, better written, and contribute more to the universe.

Ghost likes this.
  9. Bluewaterpig

Sep 17, 2014
    Bloodline seems to be the obvious choice, especially if it sets up Ep8 in some way. Cloak of Deception may be after that.

Thanks for the opinions, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Since we're on the topic...what about Aftermath? Or Catalyst?

JediKnight75 likes this.
  10. JediKnight75

Feb 15, 2011
    I loved both Aftermath and Catalyst. Catalyst adds so much to Rogue One by focusing on Krennic, Galen, and Lyra. We learn a lot about each character. Also Luceno includes Tarkin and does so in a way he should have done in Tarkin. He constructs a fascinating history of the Death Star and by starting during the Clone Wars he makes the two trilogies feel connected.

Aftermath is also really good. It's the first in a trilogy set between ROTJ and The Battle of Jakku. The book focused on new characters and they are all great. The story is great and the way its development through the first two books has been handled very well. The portrayal of the Empire is reminiscent of Legends Post ROTJ EU while at the same time being very unique. It also has a great take on the New Republic. The first book was more constrained due to TFA, but the second was able to have more freedom and it really took advantage of that. I do feel like this organization worked to the series' benefit since it allowed us to see the characters swept into wider events. I feel like this was a great first trilogy for the canon novels and I can't wait for the third book.

11. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    I'd recommend Cloak of Deception, it continues the political theme and brings back a lot of characters from Plagueis.