main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005

I can't believe that anything that we can imagine would even be close to what a galaxy-spanning dictatorship with a massive military would even come close to spending in a year. Maybe in quin- or sextillions.

jcgoble3 and yahiko like this.
  2. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    yahiko Check out stellarmagic01 's posts in the Fanon Thread. They don't include considerations about budget strictly speaking, but he made some calculations about the size of the Imperial Army and Navy and the numbers were mind-boggling. Maybe you can extrapolate from that?

3. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    yahiko I found some time and worked up a ball park using US tax revenue data and the world GDP for 2014, it came out to about 12.8 trillion USD for planet earth, times that by however many planets you have in the empire and you have your budget.

This is again assuming a 16.5% tax rate, if you want to increase the tax rate, plug 77.609 trillion (global GDP for 2014) into this percentage calculator I found and try out different percentages. I hope this helps.

Kahara, Chyntuck and yahiko like this.
  4. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    Great insights here!
    I was almost sure my post was unanswerable :)

Chyntuck likes this.
  5. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Welcome to the asylum... hive mind... fanfic boards. Nothing is impossible.

6. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    I am still digging up the question. I've found an interesting article about the running cost of the Death Star.
    It would cost $7.8 octillion per day ($7.8 x 10^27)
    And the Galactic Empire at its peak controlled 1.5 million core worlds and 69 million colonies.
    We can start doing some maths! :D

7. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

8. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    So, I assumed the running costs of the Death Star take 75% of the military budget.
    I also assumed $1 = 1 credit
    $8 octillion dollar a day = $3000 octillion a year.
    So the military budget would be $4000 octillion (4 followed by 30 zeros) a year.

9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Head.spinning. :eek:

Послато са SM-J500FN уз помоћ Тапатока

Kahara and yahiko like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What interstellar religions/philosophies do we know of that have monasteries or you think could have monasteries?
    Do you read Donald Duck comics? In them they often use made up numbs, like three fantastillion, when describing the amount of money Scrooge has. I think the Empire's budget is made up by 15 fantastillion, not counting the money needed for caff machines.

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000

And remember, while the First Death Star was up & running, the second was still being built! So you might want to up that figure by a few more gazillions credits... Although if they were using Wookies for slave labor, it might cut down on the laundry factor of the bill. That article was a good find!

And while we're pondering the Death Star (Rogue 1 spoilers follow in a question):

The attacks on the Citadel on Scarif and on Jedha destroyed those installations, but not the planet. Even so, there would have been some sort of massive, wide-ranging trauma to the planet, akin to massive earthquake and (for Scarif) tidal waves. Possible atmospheric damage, too? Would any of the rest of the planets still be habitable? Thoughts?

Wasn't Jabba's Palace originally some kind of monastery for a nearly-extinct sect? I vaguely remember seeing that, somewhere.

Gamiel and yahiko like this.
  12. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Indeed it was—for the B'omarr Order, one member of which can be seen crawling along in the background at one point in ROTJ. (I make mention of a "B'omarr Order Children's Home" in one of my stories, though that's sheer fanon. :p )

Kahara, Gamiel and Mistress_Renata like this.
  13. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Mistress_Renata In response to your Rogue One question
    My guess is that the planets become inhabitable, or at the very, very least that they experience a nuclear winter that makes it very difficult to survive there. In the case of Jedha in particular, we see debris fly beyond the atmosphere in the film. You can make up all sorts of consequences from that: the crust is breached and magma spills over, toxic gases poison the atmosphere, the shock wave carries debris and dust several times around the planet in a tidal wave, etc, etc. On the other hand of course, since the air on Mustafar is breathable despite all that lava flowing on the surface, anything is possible :)

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks, any other groups beside the B'omarr Order?

SW is space opera and and that means that RL logic doesn't apply to it if you don't want to. I would say that the rest of Jedha is still habitable but proboly in a state similar to what we saw when Eyjafjallajökull erupted at best, at worst we have Ceti Alpha V.

Kahara likes this.
  15. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Gamiel, weren't the Whills shamans mentioned in Rogue One at least semi-monastic? Also, I believe there are monasteries and the like on Sriluur, the Weequay homeworld—as I recall, Jabba's drummer Ak-Rev first learned drumming in a monastery on his homeworld. (Riffing on that, I mentioned a Weequay nunnery in a story of mine once.)

Kahara, Gamiel and yahiko like this.
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Can I hope for a fanon post about that in a near future?[face_batting]

17. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Gamiel, you know you're very hard to resist when you make that eyelash-batting smiley. :p That said, the best answer I can give for now is "somewhere down the line," because I have a number of other fanon posts in mind that I should probably do first. (Also, when I say "mentioned," I really do just mean "mentioned," briefly and in passing—the Weequay nunnery wasn't it any way central or even half central to the story.)

Kahara and Gamiel like this.
  18. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Gamiel
    I've a fanon SW religion/sect that kinda resembles christianity.
    They usually don'tbuild monansteries but I think its possible.

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    What sort of monastery?

:p Payback's a bith (for you asking the same thing about "monastic").

The Priests of Ninn?

Gamiel likes this.
  20. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Today while waiting for coffee to brew, I ended up pondering the sad truth that most Hutt characters seem to be modeled after Jabba. (Talk about judging the species by an individual!) I further determined the GFFA needs more friendly Hutts. The whole thing culminated in me making up my own friendly Hutt. His name is Gordo. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him, but I think he lives on Serenity.

Kahara, Findswoman and yahiko like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Beside the Morgukai and Mandalorians what warrior orders/cultures do we know of that have reputation as Jedi-killers?

Theodore Hawkwood mentioned the noghri, any other suggestions?

The trying-to-stay-out-of contact-with-the-rest-of-the-world-so-you-can-focus-on-your-enlightenment/studies kind of monastery. It is for an out of the way planet with lots of monasteries on it.

Maybe.

22. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Well, the Sith, for one thing. ;)

Kahara and Sith-I-5 like this.
  23. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I blame Findswoman. She gave us all these crazy ideas about fancy Hutts, and now they're taking over the boards.

When you have more details about your Hutt, make sure you introduce him in the OC Revolution thread!

24. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Oh, I absolutely will!

Kahara and Chyntuck like this.
  25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

Chyntuck and Findswoman like this.