main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Rethink Your Life: A New Hope - PT Social Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by heels1785 , Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Disney execs would see the title and be like "AH POLITICS AND STAR WARS AGH GET IT AWAY!!!1!"

:p

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    @El Jedi Colombiano

Well perhaps but I think it's about 80%.
    The Darth Maul game shows Maul/Savage and possibly a young Talon in TCW as well as then in Krayt's Legacy era. Here's a direct source:

[​IMG]
    The next day, Red Fly finally met with George Lucas, but not before being told how to talk to him. Our source says they were told to never say “No” to him, or to say, “Yeah, that will be easy.” They were also told not to mention Force Unleashed’s protagonist, Starkiller. If he’s referred to by George, it will be “that guy.” The most important rule, much like not feeding a Mogwai after midnight, was “Don’t tell George how the Force works.”

Red Fly’s representatives arrived at the meeting point early the next day, only to find LucasArts employees rushing Force Unleashed artwork out of the conference room, and replacing it with other Star Wars artworks, including the placement of Sideshow Collectibles statues of Darth Maul and Darth Talon to the table.

A friendly George Lucas entered the room and was eager to hear the pitch from Red Fly’s creatives. “Before they could finish their spiel, Lucas cut them off, stood up, walked over to the statues, rotated them to be facing the same direction, pushed them together, and said ‘They’re friends!’” adds the source. “He wanted these characters to be friends, and to play off of each other. He talked about the show Burn Notice as a reference point. He likened Darth Maul to Sonny from The Godfather, and he likened Darth Talon to Lauren Bacall. He actually did an impersonation of her. It was supposedly the weirdest impersonation of a ’40s actress going, ‘Don’t you know how to whistle? Put your lips together and blow.’”
    The problem with the idea of Maul and Talon teaming up for a buddy cop-like experience was that they were separated by over 170 years of Star Wars fiction – as ridiculous of an idea as Frédéric Chopin forming a band with Dave Grohl. When this vast time divide was brought up to Lucas’ attention, he brushed off the notion of it not working, and said that it could instead be a descendant of Darth Maul or a clone of him.

An ex-Red Fly employee says Lucas focused heavily on the player dictating the narrative. “He wanted the kind of experience where the player could tell the game what type of story they wanted,” he said. “It wasn’t so much choose-your-own-adventure; it was more of a player being able to act as director, letting the game still respond and react to the player’s wishes and surprising the player with new experiences that maybe they didn’t expect. Clearly this was not the forward stealth game for Darth Maul anymore.”
    The Red Fly team left the meeting, which ran for roughly three hours, dumbfounded by the new direction. They spent a few more days at LucasArts’ campus working closely with its team to determine how to get this new idea to work.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...he-darth-maul-game-that-never-came-to-be.aspx
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...th-maul-game-you-39-ll-never-get-to-play.aspx

There's videos and other images on the internet.
    I found more from an artist's website.

And you'll notice the Female Mando, and Pre Vizla. She may have been a precursor to Bo Katan.

*The art from this game is much more creative than TFA.

3. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Looks like they also came up with giving Maul an asteroid base before SOD and Rebels.

4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Both of those game ideas sound entertaining.

5. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    Dark
    Both? I think it was meant to be one game but during development they considered it would be better making sequels.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I was referring to the team's idea and to George's idea, because to me they sound very different.

7. Jar-Jar Binks

Jar-Jar Binks SWC Late Show With JJB Host star 8 VIP - Game Host

Nov 17, 2016
  8. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    Lol. Exactly. Specifically, there are two big reasons why I think that title wouldn't happen. 1) The logical conclusion of the SW Saga might be the restoration of the Republic (at least in any way I envision it), but apparently only big SW fans get that. So I can't even be sure Disney-Lucasfilm will go that direction. More likely than not (BUT THIS IS TOTAL SPECULATION on my part here :p ) it'll be more personal and will have more to do with Luke (and possibly the Jedi as a whole, but maybe not) and/or the Skywalker legacy (Rey? Finn??) or whatever... but we might be surprised. Anyway, back to my point: 2) ... I'm afraid "restoration" is kind of a "big word." Like, it sounds legal, and I don't think that will fly. But then again, "Ragnarok" is not only big, it ain't even English... and I'm sure most people who're going to see Thor: Ragnarok won't even know what Ragnarok is, but yet it's ultimately produced by Disney (kind of an unrelated note, my spellcheck is telling me Ragnarok has to be capitalized for some reason). But still... I'm afraid that Disney will want main Saga installments of SW to be short and sweet from now on; after all, it worked for TFA. As in, the thematic simplicity of some #1 hit pop song. Different strokes I guess. But "Restoration of the Republic" doesn't roll of the tongue. It's not a tentpole sort of name, it sounds like the title of an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. [face_laugh]

9. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Yeah, I hate to say it, but I think I might be glad I'll never have to personally work with GL. He sounds like he's notoriously hard to deal with. Five minutes in and I'd probably be like, "uhhh, wut." Plus, the bolded sounds like something a child would do. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing personal against him, but it sounds like he would be exasperating if not annoying to me if I were involved in a creative project with him.

10. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    But to me that bolded part is funny. I mean what did you expect?
    He's one of us, shy, reclusive etc. hates public talking.

I agree it would be frustrating but to me, that whole passage tells us everything we need to know. Don't say no to GL. If there's a problem- solve it.

Jedi Knight Fett and Huttese 101 like this.
  11. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Yeah, I suppose I can see that. You could take it as weird, antisocial and childish (I'm not saying I see anything wrong with behaving like a child now and then, but there are some situations where it's obviously inappropriate), or possibly charmingly quirky, as in "aw that's just George bein' George" I guess. I guess I naturally lean towards the former, but I would have had to be there to know for sure. I'm not sure how I'd deal with a "can't take no" boss, but I remember reading Steve Jobs was the same way, I think. At least it encourages innovation! [face_dunno]

12. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Just speculating, but I think we may know 2 of George's potential ST titles:

VII - An Ancient Fear (This was a rumored title very early on - what if the sources that leaked it were legitimate, just old?; plus Snoke was revealed to have been taken, but changed, from the GL version; he could have been the titular fear)

VIII - ??? (I haven't seen any rumors suggesting what the title of this movie could be in the GL version; my guess is it would be something mystical or Force-related)

IX - Restoration of the Republic (Politically, every episode focuses around the Republic, whether it's corrupted, good, evil, or ineffectual; plus this is a SEQUEL trilogy - the main plot is supposed to be restoring what was lost in the Prequels)

13. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Okay, I must admit this would have been a sweet title. I mean, epic, sinister, poetic and still pretty pedestrian all at once. My only problem is... doesn't it kind of imply that Snoke (or his treatment precursor) was something along the lines of Naga Sadow or Exar Kun? So, in this version did some Jedi (Ben Solo?) find a Sith holocron, and be the umpteenth Jedi to convert to the Dark Side that way? Still very derivative, but it beats Starkiller in my book!

14. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Okay, yep, this is definitely the exact die-cast Naboo ship I had years ago. With the R2 that flips up from the hatch at the top. I know I have to still have it. :cool:

15. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    That's the Titanium ship right?

16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Episode V: The Empire Steps Back

So this is the film that's considered the best film ever made? No wonder why movies suck. Look returns 3 years after the last one and his only trait is less whiny than before. Talk about character development. Then, we have creepy Han and LayUp's romance that's so bad, I called a restraining order on myself for watching it. So Look and the crew battle cheap MicroMachine Camels in the snow while Darth Laser performs choking BDSM on every officer from reading too much 50 shades of grey. It's a damn shame this so called dark film is 50 shades of lame. Look visits Louisiana and meets Yoga who basically rubs his body all over Luke's back. After absolutely no plot, Look and Laser confront each other in a crappy orange matte painting. Then Laser reveals he's Look's sperm donor out of nowhere and that's when I realized this film is the sequel to Aliens Vs. Predator 2. Dark, dumb and loud. Mark Ham improves but Chewbacca is too hairy and C-3PO whines more than a sentient rusty gold toilet seat. I wish I had a clean toilet seat to get this stain out of my DVD collection.

5/10

17. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    LOL this doesn't sound right. :p

18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Just like this movie's dialogue :p

19. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I think some of you guys are making waaaay too many assumptions here [face_laugh]...

I'll give my five cents, for whatever it's worth:

1) I ultimately think that while George may have been supportive of Darth Talon in the sense of her appearing in an EU game, or some interaction with a clone of Maul... it was still something of the EU. Same with Force Unleashed: he supported the idea, what have you, but in the end he had his own about how The Rebellion was formed (we saw it in Clone Wars Season 5 Arc). I honestly don't think Talon would have gone further than a simple concept art idea, based on a few things:

a) Him and TCW people already figured out Maul's origins and the Tattoo thing.

b) There where no Sith in TFA (my hunch is that he was against the Sith returning from the start in order to not undo Anakin's Prophecy, so they made up the Knights of Ren).

Honestly, it's going to be at least another decade or so before we know what was in those treatments (unless George opens his mouth and says something, which he may or may not do) so we don't really full well know what was in their ( I do agree though that his treatment was very likely about the Restoration of the Republic and Luke rebuilding the Jedi Order, not the pety insignificance of 2 Jedi we have with TFA) .

Also, I will say that we can't really know what working with George was like based on that article- it's hard enough that they usually distort reality. But hey, the people who have worked with him have been for the most part very fond of George, so I don't think working with him was necessarily a pain.

20. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    I'm not sure. I don't think so; I don't think the Titanium series or whatever it's called was around back then. darkspine10 might know.

Well don't take it personally. :p Allegedly, he has his quirks, but it might just be that those developers were confused by his creative directions or wanted more creative control. I know a lot of people seem to like him. I'm just saying that, if that's true, I'd find that behavior strange.

21. Darthmaul208

Dec 29, 2013
    It was around about 10 years ago, I think. Started for just after ROTS? 06 Maybe before then?

Jedi Knight Fett and Huttese 101 like this.
  22. Huttese 101

Jan 19, 2016
    Those TPM die cast ships? Oh no, I had the Royal Naboo ship and the Naboo speeder long before that. Sometime after AotC. I think probably 2003. But I don't know when they were released. Apparently they must have still been for sale in 2002/03.

23. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    El Jedi Colombiano glad to have you back my friend :D [:D]

was your trip productive?

I really liked Rogue One :D much better than I thought it would be, and the side characters were great! overall a very worthy addition to SW , thumbs up from me :D

24. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013

Never taking it as such :p just wanted to comment on it ;)

Anyway speaking of working with George LOL [face_laugh]

25. El Jedi Colombiano

Jun 24, 2013

Yeah, I was flying too much but at least I got to enjoy myself and simply relax.

NOW ON TO PROTECT THE OCEANS AND FARM MORE FIELDS!!! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.