main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I think that's right. And that's why; why I think I am particularly liable to Obama/JFK soaring style personally, I think Bill Clinton was more effective *generally*.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Jedi Merkurian , Ghost and dp4m like this.
  2. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Clinton was good at speaking about an issue in a way that made everyone feel afterwords that they understood the issue better. Obama is great at advocating openly for a belief in all the things that we fervently wish were really true, like the possibility of bipartisan cooperation and a good faith desire on the part of all Americans to work through and past our foundational problems of race.

3. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    All of this is just insane. Christ, maybe Putin is right. If a citizenry can vote this unstable moronic morally bankrupt buffoon into office, then maybe democracy is a joke.

And last night, Obama was talking about Enlightenment ideas! I love you Obama, but I think 2016 was a big time loss for the rational thinking.

It's like America's mind has been cleaved in two. Obama has taken complete ownership of our prefrontal cortex and Prez. Orange Golden Boy is our reptilian brain, a giant Godzilla knocking over the pillars of society just for the hell of it -- the free press, our intelligence community, our alliances, science, reasoned discourse, political norms, civility. But what's really insane about it is that half the society is actually rooting for Godzilla rather than for the preservation of civilization itself.

4. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    So I just saw Trump's press conference and how he shot down the CNN reporters. You've elected Ahmadinejad. [face_plain] In terms of poise and class, his peers are the likes of Ahmadinejad and Hugo Chavez, and he can hold a train of thought for about as long as Gaddafi.

Forget missing Obama, I'm nostalgic for W! Bush sounded amusingly stupid, but there's a difference. Trump sounds amusingly stupid too, but he will also cut you. He has a certain bite that Bush didn't have.

5. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    The whole thing is a mess. Comey showed himself to be a complete and utter hypocrite by refusing to confirm if the FBI is investigating Trump's ties to Russia.

Here's the problem. Trump lies so much that the little boy who cried wolf looks credible.
    Because of that, no one can just disregard the buzzfeed memo and its allegations. And we sure as hell cannot take the Kremlin's word.

But by waging war on the press, Trump has created a perfect storm:
    1) A press now on the hunt to prove it
    2) A Russian leader who might well have said evidence
    3) And a President-elect who would likely do anything to stop such a leak.

Behold Putin's puppet. IF this is true, even just the smallest detail, and proof is provided, Trump is done. One confirmed detail leads to wondering if the rest is true and on we go. Thus Putin has a lot of leverage over a man who is too stupid to realize what he has done. And when he does, it will be too late and we will be under Russia's thumb.

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is ****ing terrifying.

How Trump is gaslighting America

[Ian Malcolm] I hate being right all the time... [/Ian Malcolm ]

Keep standing up to him, CNN.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    https://qz.com/882412/james-comey-i...ing-any-trump-campaign-connections-to-russia/

Angus King (Senator, I-ME) killed Comey for it, though obviously nothing will happen...

9. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Right, if any of this ends up being true what does this mean for Trump as President? How much changes once he's sworn in and what are the chances of impeachment?

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Probably nothing and bugger all as Republicans have their greatest wish list opportunity to do any crazy stuff they want to - so they probably will.

EDIT 1: That and Trump looks to be the first scandal-proof politician, so whatever comes out likely isn't going to touch him.

EDIT 2: Yes, this is madder and far beyond whatever anyone could have anticipated.

Darkslayer likes this.
  11. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    This is terrifying

12. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yes, Obama is the lofty idealist. Clinton was the pragmatic/let's get this done consensus builder.

Mustafar_66, nothing. The GOP controls Congress. Until that changes, there wont be anything. NYT and NBC and dozens of journalists sat on the story for months for a reason: it was full of holes.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I feel like I mentioned this before here but I have had many real-life conversations about it so I am not sure. If I have, apologies for the repetition.

There is a professor who predicted the outcome of every Presidential election since the 1980s I believe. He predicted that Trump would win. He has also predicted that Trump will be impeached because the GOP will not be able to control him.

There is that, and if they have a shred of dignity and concern for the the democratic process, they will impeach him for treason. And I hope anyone who still talks about Clinton's e-mails is not throwing their support behind Trump.

TX-20, Jedi Merkurian , EHT and 2 others like this.
  14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

If you think this is terrifying wait until Trump and Putin have the inevitable fall out!!!! ;)

15. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

Which we will all be party to via Trump's tweet storms. [face_plain]

@RealDonaldTrump: PUTIN WAS SO UNFAIR! VERY UNFAIR!

Jedi Ben likes this.
  16. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Did you sign the petition?

... am I appleseeding?

17. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes you are. Like the potential danger of the nuclear hair trigger just occurs to these dorks now.

I remember the 80s. That **** was real then…made clearer by Genesis videos with puppets.

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    South Africa gave up their nukes before letting black people lead their country because they didn't trust black people to have nukes. Obama should give up the US' nukes before Trump takes over. It's more reasonable than South Africa's reasoning.

TX-20, Rew, Ghost and 4 others like this.
  19. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I'm sure if the CIA and other intelligence agencies revealed details of Hillary Clinton sexual perversion then they would be beyond reproach, independent, competent, trustworthy and beyond any doubt. It's only when anyone comes out against him that they become corrupt, incompetent and part of a conspiracy to destroy America. My 7 year old is a bit like that with his school teacher.

20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Yeah but LOH - your kid does recognise when he's wrong, yeah? Puts him ahead of Trump!

21. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So legally, since Trump didn't divest, what is stopping a savy attorney from suing the Trump organization when he inevitably screws people over? Essentially the Trump brand profits from his decisions at the expense of others. Seems like this would leave them wide open to lawsuits. True you may not be able to sue the president easily, but as Mitt told us, "corporations are people". So what prevents the organization from getting sued? Aside from all of Trump's appointments that is.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  22. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Shane, you're a good guy, but I've noticed that you can't discern change even if it stares you in the face. You're the last one to put me at ease.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I remember the 80s too. I knew where the fallout shelters were in my home town, and my parents talked about the military base within an hour's drive that we would go to in case of imminent threat. We wanted to get blown up first and be done with it.

And I signed the petition.

SuperWatto likes this.
  24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

I'm not here to put you at ease. That petition is stupid. And no, I didn't sign it.

Ghost and SuperWatto like this.
  25. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Nothing, technically, but you have got to have a legitimate cause of action. Hating Trump is not actionable, however.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.