main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    To this I say merely, " :p " and " ;) ."

Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  2. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Kessel Run Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

May 11, 2016
    Gamiel
    Are you interested in my idea?
    Cause if I maybe write a fanon post for it.

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I'll gladly read it :)

4. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    I will try to get to it soon.

Gamiel likes this.
  5. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If more than one of us has a Hutt, we could send it to the Fanon sock to do a combined posting?

I made one responsible for the Brain Plague threat in the Clone Wars, and dropped him and his base into a sun offscreen, but I suppose he would be okay for Clone Wars and prior.

6. yahiko

yahiko Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2015
    In my current chapter, I am tempted to use the metaphor "like a guardian angel", explicitly refering to the real world christianity, although it has almost lost its religious meaning.
    Do you think it is okay to write such references in a Star Wars fanfiction or should I try to find something else more related to the GFFA?

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes, it is okey. But at the same time I think it comes down to what culture your character comes from. If it has guardian angels, use guardian angel, if not you could maybe use spirit.

yahiko likes this.
  8. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    It makes me think I could use the ghost Force metaphor. But in French, it sounds horrible.

9. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    If it is performing a protective function, "like a deflector shield";

If it is self-ambulatory, "like having your very own droideka".

yahiko likes this.
  10. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    The paragraph is talking about Mon Mothma. Not sure being compared to a deflector shield or a droideka would be gentle for her 8-}

galactic-vagabond422 likes this.
  11. galactic-vagabond422

galactic-vagabond422 Force Ghost star 4

Jul 11, 2009
    yahiko You could maybe get away with Aegis, the term has been used several times in The Old Republic MMO and as the name of an Alderaanian gunship, so you could link it to mythology of Alderaan. The Aegis being either the Armor or the Shield the Greek Goddess Athena carried into battle on earth.

yahiko likes this.
  12. Theodore Hawkwood

Theodore Hawkwood Jedi Master star 2

Jun 17, 2014
    Anyone else imagine which actor or actress would work best as a physical model for an EU character they write fanfiction about? For instance I did think that Annie Parisse would make an excellent Bria Tharen as a thought.

Anedon likes this.
  13. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    how about just "an invisible guardian, watching over her"?

I've thought of casting for my OCs, but I hadn't actually thought of casting for EU characters. I suppose I think "a young unknown, who will be famous as a result of the film!" Like Mark Hamill & Carrie for SW.

Anedon and yahiko like this.
  14. Mira Grau

May 11, 2016
    If my fanfic would be made into movie I would probably cast Teddy Sears as Jacen. I've no idea for Jaina though.

15. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    If Anakin had killed Palpatine in Revenge of the Sith I imagine the Clone Wars would have continued to rage on for a while. Who would replace the now dead Palpatine as Chancellor? How would the Republic Senate vote in a successor?

16. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Palpatine was a Senator, and he was elected Chancellor by the others in the Senate (not by overall Galactic election). I imagine they would have followed whatever standard practice was; various parties/factions nominating candidates and then the Senate as a whole taking a vote. The Senate & the Republic were still in existence, albeit in a state of emergency, so the normal procedures would still be in place.

17. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    The election of a new Chancellor is showed in the Phantom Menace.
    I guess Bail Organa or Mon Mothma could have been possible candidates for such a position if Palpatine had been killed.

18. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I like this idea, but I'm not sure my stuff would really belong in the Fanon thread, seeing as all I have is pretty much an OC, not stuff about Hutt biology or culture and whatnot. Findswoman what do you think?

What we can do for sure is list our Hutt (and other) OCs in the OC Index Thread -- I say this knowing that my own listing there is hopelessly out of date, but I'll get around to fixing that in the not-too-distant future.
    IIRC in TPM, after Valorum is overthrown by a vote of non-confidence, there are nominees whose name are put forward and then the senate holds a vote. One of the nominees (other than Palpatine) is Bail Organa and the other one is a senator from Malastare whose name I can't remember just now. I don't recall seeing anything anywhere about how the nominees are nominated, but it's safe to assume that there are political groups/factions within the senate who make that selection. You could also throw in some administrative criteria, e.g. age, number of terms served in the senate etc. or even a rotation between parts of the galaxy (similar to the UN Secretary-General position that rotates between continents).

And now I have a plot bunny that I'm going to drop in the Plot Bunny donation thread.

yahiko likes this.
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Is this understandable?

Birgitta: a cold and dry world of mostly high mountains, stony half-deserts and windy tundra. Birgitta would be of no real interest to the rest of the galaxy if it was not that many groups who have established monasteries all across the surface, mostly in inaccessible places. The reason for this is practical, since Birgitta is out of the way, lack anything of real value and its environment is not one that encourage colonisation so can the people who chose to live monastic lives do so without worrying about needless outside interference.

It is said that ten thousand monasteries have been built on Birgitta’s surface, many that are still being used by the order that originally built them. Most of the monasteries are fully self-supporting when it comes to the essentials, or at least part of a group of monasteries that together makes them self-supporting.

Among the many different orders are the ascetic Verner-Verner monk-cucks, masters of creating good food from the most minimal of ingredients; the twin Hon and Han monk and nun orders, whose monks are all women who live like men and nuns are men who live like women; the tattooed disciples of Hoshi, whose monasteries it is said you leave enlightened or escape mad; the Djishing monastery of the Tien-Pim, whose members can be seen dancing alone or together miles around their monastery; the Church of the Force’s Nine breath order had thirteen monasteries on Birgitta but only one was left standing by the Empire; the masters of natural medicine and martial arts of the Wongkeiying order, also known as black umbrellas for the black umbrellas they all carry; the Society of Sensation, whose members study the sensations of ascetism and simple living in a dry and cold environment; the cybernetic B’omarr order; among many other. Even the Transcendent Order is represented on Birgitta with some ciphers who have taken residant in an abounded monasteries, how long they will stay there is anybody’s guess.

Beside the people in the monasteries do it exist a populations of nomads/semi-nomads who live of animal herding and small time farming. Beside what technology the get or trade from visiting spacers and the monasteries so do they exist in an advanced (for their lifestyle) Stone- and Bronze Age level of technology.

Must larger animals (non-higher than 1 m by the neck) on Birgitta belong to a goat-like species-family and the largest predator is if a lynx-like felineoid but there also exist predators comparable to foxes, wolverines and smaller wild dogs.

20. Theodore Hawkwood

Jun 17, 2014
    Chyntuck. Great insights there. I'm thinking Bail Organa would be a leading contender with Mon Mothma as a close second for this particular fanfiction continuity. I wonder what would have become of the Separatists? Would negotiations have been opened up in a Bail Organa or Mon Mothma led Republic?

Chyntuck likes this.
  21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Hmmm, good question. Okay, a few bits and pieces: first of all I think that Bail would be better placed than Mon Mothma to become chancellor at that point in time. He was already considered experienced enough to be nominated for chancellor during TPM, more than 10 years earlier, whereas Mon Mothma joined the Senate only in 27 BBY according to the Wook. Plus, Bail has some executive experience from his homeworld, being viceroy and all, whereas Mon Mothma was only ever a senator.

Re: how the Separatist issue is handled, I think it would depend on several parameters. Would the Republic be willing to disclose that it was bamboozled by a Sith chancellor for all these years in order to get the Separatists to understand that the same thing happened to them? Also, would the new chancellor consider the entities forming the FIS (Trade Federation etc) trustworthy enough for proper negotiations? And how would the clone army react to all this? Any Order 66-type of "programming" that would push them in one direction or the other? (There's another great AU fic on the boards that looks into the latter, I'm PM-ing you the link now.)

22. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Actually, just a correction - Bail Organa was not one of the nominations in TPM. It was Bail Antilles (also, confusingly, from Alderaan, but different dudes - I was corrected about this a few years ago). But in one of the EU books someone thinks Bail Organa (I think it was either Bail himself to have this thought, or Obi-Wan?) would have been Palpie's successor.

As for how the separatists would have reacted, I think you can go multiple different directions. It all depends on what story you want to tell.

Gamiel and Ewok Poet like this.
  23. Anakin 99

Anakin 99 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2016
    about the Separatist issue What the Chances of the Republic finding the Droid Army shutdown code in Palpatine files

24. yahiko

Nov 12, 2015
    I would say the chances needed for your plot :p

jcgoble3 and Raissa Baiard like this.
  25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Argh! You're right. I remember now that we already had a discussion about "which Bail from Alderaan", probably in this very thread. That's the effects of old age...

I think the point about Bail Organa being more experienced than Mon Mothma by the end of RotS still stands though.

My kind of thinking :D