main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker) in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darth_Voider, Dec 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I really think that the original plan involved Leia confronting Kylo, and being forced to either kill him, or let him die.

2. Sable de luz

Sable de luz Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    N
    No more trainning do you require.

Avalanche19 and nightangel like this.
  3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
  4. arjank

arjank Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2015
    It's probably fanart but I can't wait to see this in the cinema.

nightangel likes this.
  5. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    ...To complete the current task.

If you were a Jedi master who was mere seconds away from becoming one with the Force, and this impulsive kid who you trained for 2 weeks was about to go up against Vader and Emperor, and you needed to give him a pep talk, what would you tell him?

Yoda: Blew it, you did. Stayed. Completed your training, you should have. Now...rest I need. Go. Confront Vader. Fail, you probably will. [Becomes one with the Force]

or...

Yoda: No more training do you require.

Luke doesn't listen anyway. So Yoda tells him the truth, from a certain point of view. By the grace of the Force, Luke managed to pull a hail mary and Vader chucks the Emperor over the railing. Still does't change the face, that Luke is going to have to spend the next few decades - not running away - and complete his training the hard way. Matters are worse, in a sense.

6. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    :rolleyes: Everything Luke did in ROTJ was wise beyond his years. Never heard such a terrible interpretation. :rolleyes:

7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Weird interpretation, IMO. If anything, I think ESB and ROTJ reveal that some of the teaching of the Republic Jedi, including Yoda and Obi-Wan was wrong. They preached against attachment, but attachment to his friends and father is what saved all of them.

I think Yoda is acknowledging that in facing Vader and resisting the Dark Side, and choosing instead to fall from that gantry rather than join with Vader, he had demonstrated the strength he needed to face Vader and Palps again. And his exploits against Jabba and his crew demonstrated that he developed enough mastery of the Force to effectively fight. He had passed his "trials."

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    That fan art is like the end of Rogue One with Vader. :cool:

nightangel likes this.
  9. Lord Nikon

Lord Nikon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 2, 2012
    Guys, Mark was on the Nerdist podcast the other day (I think it was a few days before Carrie passed), and it was HILARIOUS. Such a great episode. Mark is such an amazing storyteller.

Sorry for off topic post, but I thought this was the best place to make note of it.

nightangel likes this.
  10. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I really, really hope they dont waste time with the whole "Luke is reluctant to train Rey" shtick. Its predictable and we already know he will end up doing it. If the only reason RJ wanted us to start exactly where rhe previous film left off is so we could see

Rey: Train me

Luke: No

Rey:Come on pretty please.

Luke: No

Rey : (gives puppy dog eyes)

Luke. Oh alright.

Rey: Yes!

I will be a bit annoyed.

11. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    I wonder at this too. I mean I could see Luke not wanting got train her if he's still overly upset about Ben turning...but you're right, it would be a bit tedious to watch since we know he's going to train her anyways. Hopefully they don't go that route.

nightangel likes this.
  12. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    after all, the emperor himself is the one who gives Luke the title of Jedi

theres no more badassery than being named a Jedi Knight by the Dark Lord himself.

[​IMG]

starocean90, T-R-, nightangel and 2 others like this.
  13. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012

Guys, let's not get carried away here. This is all just fun what-if BS really. Just expanding on the original point that Luke - Jedi or Not - had a lot of learning to do after ROTJ, and the ST might set up Kylo as a mirror of Luke and some of the decisions - good and bad - that he made. Luke did pass the trials, and was a true Jedi. But is he on the level of Yoda at that point? I don't think so. Has he ever trained anyone else? No.

Luke was wiser than Yoda and Ben probably even realized, he chose not to fight at that last moment, refusing to play the Emperors game. Thankfully he was also right about his father, because otherwise, all would have been lost. But...does that immediately equip him with the knowledge and skill set to set up an entire new order right away? There are some things he might not be skilled in, or have knowledge of just yet. If Luke immediately set out to start training people, it could have unseen consequences. And if the next person he does train, perhaps Ben, turns around and does some of the same things Luke did but ending in darker results because maybe Luke is somewhat unprepared, that could be fun to watch. There could be a moment that ties back into Luke's own training and coulda/shoulda/woulda stayed and finished.

nightangel and Darth Smurf like this.
  14. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    Heh?

Luke calls himself a Jedi in the beginning of ROTJ, when he is announced at Jabba's palace.

Also, the Emeprors line you GIFed comes AFTER Luke's line.

Luke: "I am a Jedi, like my father before me."
    Emperor:" So be it, Jedi."

15. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015

Come on, dont do nitpicking. Im just saying that Sidious acknowledges Luke as a Jedi. Its not that hard.
    Since Yoda had said he was not a jedi yet like 20 minutes before, this is pretty much the moment Luke become officialy a Jedi.

starocean90, T-R- and nightangel like this.
  16. Lord Nikon

Nov 2, 2012
    Luke was a Jedi when he constructed his own lightsaber BEFORE this ROTJ. And he certainly didn't need the Emperor to "name" him a Jedi.

Yoda only commented that he needed to face Vader, the fact that he said "Only then a Jedi will you be"...is just Yoda being Yoda. By the reckoning of the way Younglings are taught and tested, Luke was a Jedi already before ROTJ every started.

17. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    ok bro, whatever you say

18. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  19. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
  20. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    are there monkeys on Ach-To?[face_laugh]

Jedi Jessy and nightangel like this.
  21. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Obviously at least one

nightangel and starocean90 like this.
  22. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    ME TOO. I have posted this same sentiment myself. We know you are going to train her; just get on with it. Don't do the Yoda thing. Do the Obi-Wan thing from ANH. Let's get to work, kid.

23. Sable de luz

Dec 18, 2015
    but please dont dieeeeeeeeeeeee

24. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    So, not only does she have to be a Skywalker for many people but they just expect him to immediately share that, give her a huge hug and state "Now, let's go reclaim the galaxy together as father and daughter! I've been hanging out here for 6 years so your timing couldn't be better. I was just about to leave anyway!" It isn't like Obi-Wan because he left to be away from his family and to seek out the answers he's craving. He hasn't been watching her and waiting to train her the way Obi-Wan did him.

It's clear he's going to be different than the Luke we remember at the end of ROTJ. Anyone expecting hugs and happiness out of the gate and immediate training will almost certainly be disappointed. They've already described an indie set feel to this movie. Luke is going to likely be more than reluctant. I think we'll see some brief flirtations with the Dark Side potentially and a shorter temper. Perhaps some PTSD even. It would be boring for many if he was exactly the same. Consider the change they did to Han and Leia already. If you don't think Luke is in a dark period right now you're kidding yourself. It's clear as day that he'll be changed and reluctant following Kylo Ren. It's only predicable because it's so logical based on the environment that's been setup. Also, saying "We know he will eventually train her so just get on with it is like saying we know the good guys will win so just get on with it." The conflict (both external and internal) is what drives story. I will bet a virtual battle Puffin that he only decides to train her following the attack from the Knights of Ren once he sees Kylo Ren this time gaining the advantage. His protective instincts will kick in and that's when he'll decide to "show her a few things," which will then grow into far more and a deeper bond.

25. Ender_and_Bean

Ender_and_Bean Chosen One star 6

May 19, 2002
    For what it's worth Rian Johnson's next project was going to be about a man dealing with a midlife crisis before he signed up for Star Wars. Doesn't take a lot to see all these dots starting to connect (The Carl Jung book he cited and I quoted, his previous project, the situation with Luke at the moment, the fact he's said a central question to VIII is "What's going on with Luke?"

Luke is not going to be the happy young man you remember from ROTJ in VIII. Not at first anyway. Maybe by the end. He will be a big part of the initial drama of VIII until Rey's purity of heart convinces him he won't turn the way his father and nephew did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.