main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Vergere as a Prophet of the Dark Side?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Darth-Darth Binks, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Darth-Darth Binks

Darth-Darth Binks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2016
    I know that's technically something that the writers never had in mind, but it kind of makes sense. Going with the RP guides, the Prophets of the Dark Side did not totally reject the Light Side, and though a seuparate order, they seemed to serve as custodians of the Sith, especially when Darth Sidious came along and made it so that the Prophets and the Sith had a symbiotic relationship. The Prophets of the Dark Side would maintain the Sith by means of teaching them more about the Force and giving them helpful prophecy so that the Sith would stay around, and in return the Sith would pretty much give them jobs and intefere with the affairs of the galaxy in a way that the prophets were generally down with. Vergere is not totally anti-Light, and she does maintain the galaxy as the Prophets and the Sith would prefer by means of interfering with the Yuzhan Vong, and she does maintain the Sith by essentially help restoring them through Lumiya and Darth Caedus, which is what a Prophet of the Dark Side does, besides of course prophecy for the Sith.

That was never the intent, but it kind of makes sense. I like to think of her as a Prophet of the Dark Side, who served under Sidious and Kadann but never meant to wreak complete and total havoc if she could help it.

2. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Makes plenty of sense. The Vong Invasion makes for the ultimate doomsday prophecy, after all.

Darth Petram likes this.
  3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Vergere briefly studied with Palpatine but that doesn't mean she's necessarily a Dark Sider.

4. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    She states the darkness Jacen need fear is in his heart not something a prophet would say.

Also it doesn't make sense given what we know of her life. Well her being a Sith candidate doesn't make sense either but no one bothered to explain how Lumiya's statements in Betrayal and Tempest made sense any way.

In the absolute worst interpretation she is a Sith place holder, or somebody with more devious goals than was revealed in Traitor.

5. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    My assumption was Vergere was an unorthodox Jedi who wanted to understand the Sith Way and ended up discovering Palpatine was a complete nut bar before trying to kill him and failing.

RKR, Voltron64, Ghost and 1 other person like this.
  6. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    Wish she wasn't retconned to be a darksider. One of the worst decissions of the old eu. It just doesn't make sense. How would she have archieved the abbility to become a force ghost, if she was dark?

Noash_Retrac likes this.
  7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    You could also assume she redeemed herself but I don't think she was a dark sider unambiguously.

Darth Caliban likes this.
  8. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Vergere made the jedi much more fascinating for me than what we got from the prequels. It was damn stupid in my opinion to assasinate her character this way.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Seriously, do we have any proof she was evil?

Darth Caliban likes this.
  10. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    I believe Lumiya says she was evil to Jacen. But shes not a reliable source and has a vested interest in lying to push Jacen towards the dark side. Never really bought into Verge being a darksider myself.

11. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The point of Lumiya's story was that Vergere was NOT evil, despite learning about the Sith.

RKR likes this.
  12. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    True and I think that interpretation can be maintained with a different POV regarding LOTF, Legacy, FOTJ and the post NJO in general.

I like to think Vergere wanted more than for Jacen to be the next Sidious or the next Luke Skywalker she wanted him to be something...better.

13. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

I don't know about better. He certainly became a weaker version of Sidious. Took over the Galaxy but couldn't wipe out the Jedi. And his failure in that regard led to his doom.

14. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I don't mean in a power ranking sense but a philosophical/spiritual sense.

15. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007

Jacen Solo was a good philosopher and could see more than the average Jedi. Darth Caedus was just insane. Manipulated and entranced by Lumiya for the sole, hidden purpose of exacting a cruel and brutal revenge upon Luke Skywalker. Caedus was an exceptionally inept villain.

16. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    Yes I imagine Vergere wanted him to transcend the difference between Sith and Jedi perhaps to restore the Jed'aii or perhaps to create some new path to enlightenment that ended the eternal conflict between the Jedi and Sith and allowed force sensitives(as well as everyone else) to grasp the universe and themselves beyond mere descriptors to fully unlock the potential the force bequeathed to sentient species and you know everlasting empathy, transcendence, and wisdom.

17. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Maybe there are still Jed'aii out there, as i could imagine not all joined the then new established Jedi Order. The remaining members could simply have gone into hiding some place and kept their lore and traditions.

Maybe Vergere met them on one of her missions and joined them in secret...