main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TOR Is TOR dead?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Shertron, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Shertron

Shertron Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2017
    I'm thinking of getting into the game, however I know close to 0 about it. Is it dead? And do you recommend it?

2. Darthmaul208

Darthmaul208 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 29, 2013
    No, Yes.

Just play, game gives you enough context to work from.

If not, just watch the SWTOR History videos they give the backstory and are well made.

If you haven't played KOTOR or KOTOR 2 then you won't need to particularly- there's easter eggs but not much that you can't get by.

3. RavagerFish

RavagerFish Jedi Master star 1

Nov 26, 2011
    The game's not dead. Yes, I'd recommend at least the various class stories that came in the base game and other vanilla content from launch.

EDIT: http://www.swtor.com/holonet

That contains a lot of the context that Darthmaul208 was describing, including the history videos. The only other things I might recommend for context are watching the cinematic trailers released for the game --there's three from before a launch and two for expansions.

Let us know if you need anything else!

4. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    TOR is a pretty good game, and from what I can tell it's still bumping, it didn't fizzle and fade like SW Galaxies did (RIP).

The game can be a little laggy depending on your computers specifications, but if you have pretty solid hardware to work with the graphics are decent, the story line is intriguing, there's plenty of expansive content, and the character customization is pretty good. Some of the game play can be repetitive; but what game isn't? The overall community of the universe is pretty welcoming and friendly, but just like every other MMO you're going to get the trolls and those who constantly attack you even though they are 5+ lvls higher than you and know it isn't fair.

If you get TOR, for sure start in a server where it isn't pvp so you can get used to the controls, gain some experience, find some good armor mods and level yourself up.

Overall, the game isn't KOTOR, but it is a pretty good game IMO.

5. Shertron

Shertron Jedi Youngling

Jan 10, 2017
    Alright then. I'll get started.

6. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    I played from launch in Dec '11 til last Nov. I wish it was dead so we might get a new, better, more canon-friendly MMO. But, in spite of Bioware's best efforts to tank the thing, it's still kicking decently enough. I keep tabs on it because I'm like that ex that can't let go.

7. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    Definitely not dead. Last year their player count/subscribers was the highest it's been since launch. I'm a subscriber and love playing, almost every day actually (my gaming is dedicated to SWTOR, Battlefront, and my SW mobile apps like a Force Arena). You should definitely start playing. The class stories are great, and for those you don't really need players. Even Heroics (group missions) don't requires groups. Have your companion heal and you'll be fine.

Although I agree with Davrel in that it not being canon kinda makes me not care as much for the lore/story, since it doesn't affect the canon. I'd love for them to create a new MMO that was canon, but I think too much development and time was put into SWTOR that it'd be a shame to close it down.

J7Luke likes this.
  8. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I've been playing it on and off since they first did the f2p thing, and I must say I enjoy it a lot more now. Back then levelling was a grind, you basically had no choice but to do some flashpoints/PvPs to get anywhere near the level cap. Being a solo player who did (and still does) find MMOs offputting because I want to play my own game, not get dragged into other peoples, the new updates and soloability mean that rather than leaving planets after finishing quests vastly underlevelled, I'm now plodding along about 13 levels above the planets I'm on without doing anything differently. Plus the planet level scaling means that even then there aren't issues with it not being challenging. Also heard good stuff about all the new add-ons, so once I've finally completed all the class stories I can move onto them and hopefully get the maximum out of this subscription. Actually getting a bit addicted now it's so much more fun :p

As to the canonicity of it, I still refuse to acknowledge Disney canon so I'd prefer to continue mucking around in the EU for as long as possible.

J7Luke likes this.
  9. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    The game can still be quite addictive. The best advice I can give is to be careful what server you start on. Some servers are dead, and Bioware is slow about condensing the dead ones.
    Others have quite a bit of activity though, and those are more fun, even if you don't do pvp or much group play. Other than that, just enjoy the content.
    New content is released fairly regularly.

J7Luke likes this.
  10. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    Think I'd prefer a dead server. Less people doing quests at the same time as you. Some of the quest item respawn times (especially on Imperial Balmorra) are ridiculous.

11. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    I hadn't considered that. It might be why they haven't bothered to condense the slow ones.

12. Jedi_Jade-Skywalker

Jedi_Jade-Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2000

So I'm not really missing anything by not playing TOR? I really like KOTOR. I have KOTOR 2, but I haven't had a chance to play it yet. I've liked what I've seen from TOR...but my understanding is that its PC only, right? I just have a MacBook.

13. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    The Eternal Empire storyline updates seem to have added a lot of new life and new energy to the game.

14. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    I haven't played in about a month, but the last time I played it had a decent amount of people. There are times where you wish there were more but it's not dead.

15. Darth Visor

Darth Visor Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 25, 2018
    I have a lot of fun playing it, but I haven't heard a lot of people mention it on here.

16. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Needs to be put down. Along with everything else infected with the EA virus.

17. Mandalorian Riddler

Mandalorian Riddler Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2018
    We need some more star wars games like KOTOR back in our lives. I'd say if Respawn do well then let them take the ropes for a bit.

18. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Respawn don't make RPGs and are owned by EA. No, Disney & Lucasfilm need to take KotOR back to its roots. Hire Larian studios to make a KotOR isometric turn based rpg with their Divinity: Original Sin 2 engine.

19. Mandalorian Riddler

Feb 27, 2018
    I saw a that a remake of KOTOR was about, like reinforced graphics etc.

20. Darth Visor

Jan 25, 2018
    Well, I'm enjoying both SWTOR and Battlefront 2 right now, so I'm content. I would like it if they were releasing more games, however.

Mandalorian Riddler likes this.
  21. Mandalorian Riddler

Feb 27, 2018
    Agreed, some nicely detailed Single player games is a must for SW

22. Darth Visor

Jan 25, 2018
    Agreed. I miss getting games like Jedi Academy, Republic Commando, and Empire at War, but I think that the single player campaign in Battlefront 2 is a step in the right direction, and I've heard that they plan to really flesh out the arcade mode some more too.

23. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    Still going. The server I have is somewhat dead but not entirely. When it came out, well after New Years of 2012, I bought it and the first class I played was a Smuggler Mirialan. I figured most of the players coming on line would have played a force user class, Bounty Hunter or Trooper. The story was fun and by mid Feb I reached level fifty and finished the story. I kept hearing about the Trooper and SI, not being so good. My next play through was as an Imperial Agent Chiss. Now that story is hands down the best in the game and reached level 50. My last play through was as a Jedi Knight Twi'lek and that story was fun, right behind Imperial Agent, reached 50, that was the fasted I did in under a month, this was around the time Legacy came out. Final play as a subscriber was a SI Sith Pureblood. The story was terrible and I think I got the character to level 27-30 before not renewing my subscription, this was in the end of June 12'. Took time away from it heard the free to play, but ignored it, then heard about the expansions in 2013 to 2015, but did not come back to it till about 2 summers ago and been playing on and off every couple of hour or half a day a week. The server I use has people but not like it did when I first started so it is easy to do things easier now and play all the class. I am still on free to play, but a preferred status which allowed me to play also a Twi'lek my favorite for the series, Chiss, and Mirialan for any of the classes. I have never re-subscribed, but still have fun for a few hours a week. Just try and see what you think. Me personally I am in agreement with they need to come out with a new game to where if they do the class and species again, all the stories must be good to where one does not shine above the others, but it being a favorite is O.K.

24. Gamma626

Gamma626 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 6, 2014
    I just started playing. Anyone here still playing? Is there a guild? I'm curious. :)

25. Rainbow Serpent

Rainbow Serpent Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 23, 2018
    is tor dead yes should you play it absolutly