main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT how did Vader escape?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by texjrwillerjr, Jan 11, 2017.

1. texjrwillerjr

texjrwillerjr Jedi Knight

Dec 13, 2015
    I just watched again swnh when the falcon aproaching the death star kenobi says its a fighter cant not fly to deep space by own. (or something like that:) ) so,vader fly by a tie fighter and there was no other star destroyer or something while death star attacking to yavin, after the ds exploded how did darth escape from alliances?

2. Bagliun Edar

Bagliun Edar Jedi Knight star 1

May 3, 2014
    Vader's TIE fighter was an advanced prototype equipped with a hyperdrive. The others didn't have hyperdrives.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He flied in his TIE fighter. What Kenobi said is true, since Vader didn't get out there on his own. That doesn't mean he can't reach an Imperial outpost/star destroyer/whatever or establish contact with one.

4. texjrwillerjr

texjrwillerjr Jedi Knight

Dec 13, 2015

it doesnt make sense. tie fighters dont even have the sheilds. why does darth need hyperdrive? he never fly alone?

even though vader is the best pilot in all universe there are lots of fighters, ships etc around him. there must be another reason.

5. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013

Vader'sTie had shields and a hyperdrive, its not a standard Tie Fighter but an advance prototype he designed himself. He is second in command to the Emperor he is not going into battle with a fighter that does not have shields or a hyperdrive. All the rebel fighters have shields and hyperdrive because the rebellion cannot afford To lose pilots the way the empire does. Vader is the second most important person in the empire,his fighter is gonna have shield and a hyperdrive.

Basically, your average tie pilot is Expendable to the empire the same way the average stormtrooper was. Vader is not expendable, he gets the best equipment possible. Other characters in canon also have ties with shields like the Inquistor on Rebels.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Vader has a hyperdrive because he's not an expendable idiot compared to the TIE pilots. He doesn't always use a shuttle or a star destroyer, to get to where his going. And in situations like this, it's best to have one.

7. Encuentro

Encuentro Jedi Master star 2

Aug 8, 2013
    According to the canon novel Lost Stars, he was picked up by a star destroyer. The scene is depicted in detail. Highly recommended read! It fleshes out many of those gray areas in the Star Wars saga.

8. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Here is a bit from the first ESB draft by Leigh Brackett:

DARTH VADER
    (half to himself)
    Obi-Wan’s fledgling. He {Rewrite – Han did this.} disabled my fighter and sent me spinning off into space with all systems dead, even the radio…but I knew. I knew when he destroyed the Death Star, using the Force to find the target. I had much time to consider Master Skywalker while I was waiting to be rescued. He’s too much like his father…

Sounds as if Vader had some kind of emergency beacon aboard his fighter, enabling the Empire to relocate him.​

thejeditraitor and SlashMan like this.
  9. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    Also in old canon he is depicted as being able to get his ship to a imperial outpost on a planet in a system not too far from Yavin. An outpost so out of the way it only has three people assigned to it but still has a shuttle.

Encuentro likes this.
  10. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    From the ultra cannon Robot Chicken, Darth Vader was just floating aimlessly in his TIE fighter from what I remember...

11. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I take it he had an inbuilt communication device that contacted the Devastator. His ship had entered the Death Star and he orders it to return to the Emperor with some of the prisoners from their most recent mission. When the Death Star was destroyed he contacted the ship to return to pick him up.

12. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Going by the film alone, it seems Vader just flew off to return again. Since his fighter was different from a standard TIE, it is likely a longer range model. Likely he either limped to a Imp outpost or was picked up. What is interesting is Vader never flies a fighter again onscreen in the sequels.

Kenneth Morgan, Lt. Hija and Sarge like this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Yeah, I was hoping he'd be back in his TIE for R1. But if I had to choose one or the other, TIE or red lightsaber in the Corridor of Chaos, well, I think the filmmakers chose the right one.

J7Luke, Avnar and thejeditraitor like this.
  14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    the other thing is , considering communication with the death star was lost i'm sure the Empire sent a star destroyer out there to see what was going on.

J7Luke and Sarge like this.
  15. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    My recollection is more along the lines of that is a short range fighter. Vader's advanced prototype is not so limited. Clearly, there are long range fighters just not that particular one/type that they ran into in the ruin of Alderaan.

Kenneth Morgan and Sarge like this.
  16. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    JEDI-RISING wrote

The other thing is, considering communication with the death star was lost i'm sure the Empire sent a star destroyer out there to see what was going on.

Assuming that the Death Star even communicated where it was going. IMHO, the medal ceremony at the end of ANH (in hindsight) suggested, that the Alliance had monitored the Death Star's communications as soon as it arrived in the Yavin system and noticed that the Death Star didn't communicate at all.

I wouldn't find that too hard to believe. I could imagine rather well, that Tarkin ran silent and wanted to surprise everybody back 'home' with the great news that the Alliance's base had been destroyed and that the rebellion was over.

17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yup. vader has the best of everything/.

themoth likes this.
  18. OM-685

OM-685 Jedi Youngling

Sep 5, 2017
    In the book Lost Stars, the main character goes to the debris site of the Death Star to pick up Vader, so he was just floating around the rubble of the Death Star, waiting to be picked up.

So, it seemed like the Rebellion didn't take any time to search the site, and focused on evacuating the base. Star Destroyers, probably having lost contact with the Death Star or any other ships that could have been docked on it, must've went to Yavin IV to look for the Death Star, and had been contacted (probably by the Emperor) that Vader was out in the debris field.

19. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Vader's TIE had OnStar.

There, you read it on the interweb, so it must be true.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It would appear that Vader's ship has a hyperdrive for normal purposes (hence him turning up to confront Our Heroes in his ship in Rebels Season 2 finale, with no signs of anybody dropping him off) but, as per Lost Stars, his ship was damaged enough that he needed to be picked up.

Same seems to apply to Inquisitorial TIEs, which are TIE Advanced v1 rather than TIE Advanced x1.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  21. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Vader clearly wasn't just floating around. When he gets shot, you can see the cockpit twirling around and red lines blinking in the backround, indicating that something is off and that the ship is tumbling around uncontrolled. When you see him for the last time, the cockpit stays still and the red lights are gone, suggesting that he's back to normal flight again. Whether he flew around there until someone picked him up, slowly moved to an Imperial base or was able to use the hyperdrive of his ship, is another matter. The movie won't give you an answer beyond that his ship can fly normally again, so I'll guess you'd have to take the word from the book mentioned above on that issue.

ZodaEX and Sarge like this.
  22. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    What's far fetched about it is that an out of control Tie could reach a safe distance from the exploding Death Star.

Interestingly, Vader recovering from the spin and escaping was never conceived or shot. The shot of his ship righting itself and settling was a flipped/reversed shot of the lead in to the shot of the cockpit spinning, which required a gyro attached to the camera mount.

It was decided that Darth Vader was so imposing a character might be worth bringing back for another film, so that and the shot of Vader and his wing men leaving the hanger were recycled to leave that suggestion open to the audience.

Binary_Sunset and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005

^^This.

24. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Vader's TIE didn't have the fuel capacity to jump distances so he made smaller Hyperspace jumps until he reached an Imperial outpost.

If the Rebels knew he'd survived and was vulnerable to attack i'd guess they'd refuel and rearm their surviving fighters and send them after him, but they just didn't realise he'd survived.

25. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    Did the Rebels even know he was in the battle?