main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Fenn Rau

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Jan 27, 2016.

1. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don't know if "special training" is what it would be as much as a link to Mandalorian tradition and perhaps some mentorship dealing with how to become a Mandalorian leader. Sabine's a free spirit in a lot of ways, albeit one still rooted in her people's traditions, such as her use of personally forged armor and invocation of Mandalorian codes against Rau last season. She's got the makings to be a Rebel counterpart to Gar Saxon if she can assume a leadership position among her people.

He's an old veteran who served multiple dead masters and seems to have whole-heartedly rejected any of his previous allegiance in exchange for personal gain. She's an independent young warrior who nonetheless remembers where she came from, and has no problem identifying as House Viszla while rejecting any allegiance to Death Watch, and abandoned a fast-tracked education at the Imperial Academy because she rejected their objectives for her.

Fenn, as the leader of what was likely a multi-clan force of traditionalist Mandalorians who nonetheless avoided the fanaticism of the Death Watch, knows how to command respect among his people. And he can show Sabine how to do that. And if he does, he has someone who's got ties to those constrained to the Empire through Sabine's mother, as well as a member of House Vizsla who may appeal to Bo Katan's incoming Mandalorian faction (who might have some pull with the House Kryze through Bo Katan herself), and for the cherry one top, someone who's capable of winning honor duels yet merciful and skilled enough to recruit her opponent instead of killing him.

Sabine's perfectly suited to be a Protector backed candidate to at least some powerful Mandalorian title. If not Mandalore itself, at least Duchess or something.

whostheBossk and Darth Basin like this.
  2. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    With thanks to DavrelKex in the "Sabine's Mother" thread, and in anticipation of Fenn's return to screens next week, it seems we now know what's up with Fenn's new armor: it's an armored and more traditional variation of the Honor Guard's design from TCW.
    Personally, I like the continuity being kept here, though I wonder if we'll find out of Satine's Honro Guard were in fact the Protectors, or just an offshoot, since she didn't appear to rule as Mandalore but instead as Duchess.

Darth Basin likes this.
  3. DavrelKex

DavrelKex Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 18, 2016
    Thanks for the props! It's not set in stone yet, but I'd bet money that's what's up with the Protectors. It definitely jives with him knowing the full story behind the Darksaber.

ARC_RC-7567 and Darth Basin like this.
  4. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    At the end of Super Commandos I think Rau should have invited Sabine to join his House.

Darth Basin likes this.
  5. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    That seems like it would be an insult in Mandalorian culture, given the split state of the society. Rau called her out as an enemy when Sabine revealed herself to be house Vizsla.

6. ARC_RC-7567

ARC_RC-7567 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 22, 2015
    If Sabine does become the Mandalore, I hope we see Fenn Rau and whatever's left of the Protectors become the honor guard that they were before Satine's New Mandalorians took over. Also I saw this theory in a video but it's the idea that this storyline with the Mandalorians is a sort of new canon translation of Jango's backstory from Open Seasons. Fenn Rau=Jaster Mareel, Sabine=Jango, Gar Saxon=Tor Vizsla.

7. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    If Finn's heavy armor is supposed to be the more practical field version of the Honor Guards' robes, does that mean his flight armor is likewise just a derivation suited for a particular type of combat? Because the color schemes are the same...

8. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016
    Lore-wise, yeah it's probably just supposed to be "Mandalorian Fighter Pilot Gear" and not the "real gear". Which makes sense; full Mandalorian armor, while not very restricting in an open combat sense, would still take up a considerable amount of space in a starfighter's cockpit.

From a the real-world? I imagine Fenn Rau and his Protectors were not originally envisioned or intended to be the Royal Guard or anything more than elite Mando fighter pilots, and that all this other stuff regarding Rau and his Protectors was thought of and added after they'd already created the character assets for the episode. Heck, Rau as a character is an awful lot different now than he was in his season 2 intro. In Protector of Concord Dawn, he just seemed like a world-weary and arrogant Mando fighter jock that gets unexpectedly quickdrawn by a young gun(Sabine). In Season, he looks, acts, and talks like a legit elite warrior. total character makeover honestly.

9. tampering

tampering Jedi Knight

Jan 4, 2017
    He did seem different in PoCD versus his appearances in season 3. I hold the Rau and Kanan were drinking more than [face_coffee] in the hut while trading Clone Wars stories. No wonder he got taken by surprise by her and then taken prisoner.

If he and the other Protectors served as Satine's guard you have to also reconcile his dialogue in his one page appearance in the Kanan comic.

This season, we get from him that he and his band of Protectors are/were loyal to the Duchess/Royals. But apparently in Kanan this loyalty did not extend to respecting Satine's decision to keep Mandalore neutral because he trained Clones and led Skull Squadron in support of the Republic when he accused Mandalorians of forgetting their duty, honour and obligations.

10. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016
    Yeah, that's still a contradiction. Like I said, my little "theory" may not be anything other than similar character designs.

11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The Protectors may not be a "House" at all, and it's entirely possible they are instead a guardian group formed from various clans, a brotherhood like the Nights Watch or Kingsguard (to continue the Game of Thrones parallels). The only thing we know about their past is that they really don't like House Viszla, which would make sense if they were Satine's guards, or spawned that group (my preferred interpretation and explanation for the Protectors being involved in TCW but not present on Mandalore beyond their ceremonial members). In which case, Fenn may not be able to adopt Sabine, or he may view things from an inter-Clan perspective. Calling Clan Viszla traitors may very well be a sign that the Protectors regard the House as usurpers who'd didn't properly earn their resurgence, or that they agree with Bo-Katan that foreign leaders cannot be Mandalore.

And I meant that bit about the possibility of Satine's guards being an offshoot of the Protectors. Their rejection of even the hints of traditional Mandalorian design aesthetics that we saw on the Mandalorian police may be a sign that they were required to reject some of their traditions to serve Satine, who again, refused to be called Mandalore.

Darth Basin likes this.
  12. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016
    The Protectors are the Kingsguard, yes. Dave Filoni says in the Rebels Recon for Protector of the Concord Dawn that the Protectors enforced the rule of the Mand'alor.

There was the Ruler, or Mand'alor
    Below them they had the Protectors, who enforced their rule and, per Sabine's comments in Imperial Supercommandos, took the best warriors from all the Clans
    Below them were the Houses, who were basically political factions comprised of allied clans.

http://www.starwars.com/video/rebels-recon-inside-the-protector-of-concord-dawn

13. tampering

tampering Jedi Knight

Jan 4, 2017
    It will be interesting to see when Rau and the Protectors on Concord Dawn exiled themselves. Was it before or after the Imperial takeover? Maybe they were divided and those who wanted to fight for the Republic exiled themselves during Satine's rule.

It's not unusual for real world police/soldiers to have 'traditional' ceremonial uniforms when on VIP duty. The 'Protectors' in the ceremonial outfits with Satine, might have mostly been regular NewMando cops and a few 'extreme loyalists' who stayed behind. It would explain why we didn't see fully armoured Protectors intervene during Viszla/Maul's coup.

To try to show continuity with and to appease Old Mandalore, a radical government like Satine's would try to keep all of the trappings of Mando tradition without necessarily keeping the things behind the traditions. A lot of real world monarchies work like this.

Also Fenn Rau has 3 outfits in only 3 appearances. The guy is practically the Padme of this series.^:)^

Darth Basin likes this.
  14. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    From DarthTalgus over on the Season 3 thread:
    Looks like even Fenn's new helmet has even more unique features; the cheek plates are a bit flatter, and he *may* still have that crown thing on the forehead.

15. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Nice...and like that Rau is fully suited up.

DarthTalgus likes this.
  16. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
  17. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016
  18. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Kanan's advice may be to Sabine and not Ezra. When he trains her to use the darksaber.

19. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016

Eh, she's not Force Sensitive so Idk why it would be mean much to her.

And yes, she's not Force Sensitive or he'd be teaching her to saber deflect instead of her gauntlet shield, and how to grab her saber with the force instead of her gauntlet lasso thing.

20. Knight of Wren

Knight of Wren Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 13, 2016
    Kanan is talking about lightsabers, not the force, in that trailer. Maul's line about the darkside at the end could easily be just thrown in there and unrelated to Kanan's lines. In the next episode, Kanan teaches Sabine to use a lightsaber. While I'm personally a bit skeptical about the supposed connection, it's by no means impossible.

And at this point, no one is suggesting that Sabine is force sensitive.

TheSilentInfluence likes this.
  21. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004
  22. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    Who knows. Maybe Sabine will have " an awakening "?

23. DavrelKex

Aug 18, 2016
    I doubt it, especially considering that from a narrative perspective we're supposed to be seeing less of that stuff right now. And like I said...she'd be trying to grab the saber off the ground with the force, not tech. But I digress. Super stoked for saturday!

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I am interested to see if we learn any new stuff on Rau

25. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    So in the latest preview is it just me or does Fenn look like a proud space dad as he watches Sabine defeat Ezra?