main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Galxay has lots of heart jerking amazing moments too (especially the music and immersive level design) Rosalina's story book is touching as well.. "The big 3" (64, sunshine, and galaxy) do amazing things. Imo NSMB and 3d land/world can't hold a candle to the "real 3d mario games". Birthday 2003 I got sunshine and Rogue Squadron 2 on Game Gube. Christmas of 2008 I got Galaxy on wii and Uncharted 1 on PS3, brings a tear to my eye thinking about the memories.

Life and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm going to have to get it soon then. Also really enjoy the Gameboy Advance version of Super Mario World. The one that introduces Yoshi. Rogue Squadron 2 was fun as well. Hate the Kessel mission though. Also many fond memories of playing Smash Bros. Melee with my cousin and his friends.

Life and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  3. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Dude I loved Prisons of the Maw. :p I love the slow but sturdy Y-wings. I have never beaten an intense level like Endor in an A-wing.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'd like Galaxy more if I didn't have to point at the screen to do some stuff, I'd like to see a remaster with traditional controls down the line.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    For this specific glitch it was apparently discovered by tool-assist folks directly manipulating code. Then I think someone figured out that if you get the jumps right in the game proper it still works.

6. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm fan of Mario games myself, I own Galaxies, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario land, Mario Kart Super Circuit and I guess Donkey Kong Country Returns would count too. Platformers are my favorite game genre, one main reason is because unlike some other genres, the game can't just rely on special graphics it has to have good game play. Also, they usually have a more upbeat and cartoon feel to them as I don't always need dark and gritty in my games, just for for them to be fun.

7. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    My favorite was Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars. I was able to win it quite a few times. It's been a long time since I last played it.

8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sunshine will always be my favorite- it's the closest thing we've gotten to an open world Mario sandbox game what with its huge levels that encourage (and reward) exploration and having all the areas present a geographical relationship to one another made it feel like a cohesive world- and, yet, you still had those warp zone areas for targeted platforming challenges.

It felt like an evolution of SM64's playgrounds. Galaxy always felt like a step backwards by comparison- like they spun off the warp zone challenges into their own game. In that way, it kinda makes SMG feel like the Captain Toad to Sunshine's 3D World.

And on top of all that, Sunshine introduced some brilliant advances for the 3D platformer genre- with some of the FLUDD nozzles addressing issues like depth perception during jumps that predated SM64 or providing quicker level traversing (less of an issue in SMG because of the smaller, more linear levels).

The fact that they did something different by having more a story and a more original premise (unlike 3D World which somehow managed to have even less story than the NES games).

9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I figured now would be as good a time as any to bump this old thread and make it relevant again.

New Mario game coming out on the Switch: Super Mario Odyssey!

Also, has anyone here tried Paper Mario: Color Splash yet?

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I'm currently working through "Super Mario 3D World", having to go back and get the other green stars. Should have figured all of them were required to get into Bowser's castle. Finally finished NSMB for the DS, right before Christmas.

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Happy to see SMO following the SM64/SMS model (even though they're going for the variable world themes instead of a unified, singular world like SMS. Not necessarily a bad thing (as the different environments looks really fun) but I did like exploring a whole realm in detail).

12. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I always look forward to new Mario titles, but Odyssey looks really awesome. Might be my favorite Mario game since Galaxy. Its probably my most anticipated title, even more than Zelda.

13. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    This game is apparently going to be very immersive by Mario standards. ;)

[​IMG]

14. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I'm loving the idea of Mario in real-world city life. Obviously a whole game of it would be a disaster, but a level or two will be a really nice change and it should be super unique and fun if done right.

I've played all Mario games from the original to present, and I have to say to this day nothing beats Super Mario Bros 3 or Mario 64 for me. Sunshine and Galaxy were both fun and pretty to look at, but didn't have the impact on me like Mario 64 did. I played that game over and over growing up. Paper Mario has a special place in my heart too, along with Super Mario RPG even though I'm not a fan of turn based combat systems.

Ps. This can't be the only sole Mario thread in this forum, can it? That seems crazy.

15. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    There's a thread for Mario Maker levels, as well as one for the Mario Kart series. I also tried to make one for the Mario RPGs a couple years back. But this is the only thread (that I'm aware of) for the general Mario series.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    This is a more recent Mario thread meant to be a general discussion thread. We have other threads dedicated to individual games and spin-off series. I had considered making one for Odyssey but it may make sense to keep things to a single thread now like we do for Zelda. However, if there's enough demand, we could give it its own thread. Folks can still use the existing threads for those games if they'd like, as well.

-Thank the (Mario) Maker!: Super Mario Maker Discussion & Level Sharing
    -There Will Be Blue Shells: Mario Kart (8)
    -One Toad Too Many: The New Super Mario Bros. Series
    -EUPHORIA, PURE EUPHORIA: The Super Mario Sunshine Discussion Thread
    -Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
    -"I can haz Fire Flower?": Super Mario 3D World (aka EUFURRIA! PURR EUFURRIA!)

17. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Just re-watched this trailer. Is it just me or does this game, specifically what looks like a Rain Forest level, look kinda Banjo-Kazooie'ish?

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Kinda curious, I'm thinking of getting "Super Mario 64" for the VC, but what I want to know is which version is better to get? The N64 or the DS version? I know that the DS version got a lot of flack for not having a true analog stick, but I figure it wouldn't be an issue with the Wii U controllers having one built in. How vital is the analog stick to the game?

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I haven't played the DS version but the original used the analog stick extensively. That was its biggest innovation, really.

Having it sensitive enough to vary between tip toeing and running, or determining your jumping/vaulting direction, etc was important.

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I just bought a Nintendo Classic for $13.00 and change today brand new from Amazon!!!!!!!!!

PCCViking likes this.
  21. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
  22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So, here's something interesting about Mario's outfits in the new Odyssey trailer:

[​IMG]

All from relatively obscure Mario appearances: Picross 2, Mario x Qix, NES Open Tournament Golf (I think he had this outfit as an option in Smash 4, as well) and Yoshi's Cookie.

EDIT- Oh, and the trailer itself, for those who didn't catch it in the other thread:

23. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I'm pumped for Odyssey - it looks great. I love the fact it's a return to the style of Super Mario 64/Sunshine.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I hope T-Rex Mario gets to fight Bowser. I would think of it as Movie Yoshi's Revenge.

25. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I like the hat idea because it breathes new life into the series. It's both weird and fun, which is totally Mario.