main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Doctor Aphra #1-6: Aphra (6/6 Released)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Chris_Fives

Chris_Fives Jedi Master star 3

Apr 16, 2015
    Nice tie-ins with Rogue One. I love those small tidbits that connects SW universe
    tank on Yavin IV and mentioning of Jedha
    This story is getting really interested!
    Bring on new issue!!:D

spicer and darklordoftech like this.
  2. Black Star Gunner

Black Star Gunner Jedi Master star 2

Oct 18, 2014
    So now I want to know about the pronunciation of her first name: CH or K. If it's the former, good cuz it's cool and different. If it's the latter, it's way to close to the common Kelly name. But still cool.

3. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I am really starting to enjoy this series just as much as I did the Vader one. Gillen is absolutely the best we have seen so far within the Marvel line of bringing in entirely original characters and making the audience care about them. I'm starting to like her dad and I hope we get to see Aphra's mom at some point through flashbacks.

Not sure what the plan is for Aphra in rather they plan on killing her off at the end of this series but I hope she is a character they keep around for a long long time to come. If for nothing else she is a good character to wrap star wars universe lore stories around.

4. HeatherAntos

HeatherAntos Marvel Comics Assistant Editor VIP

Apr 26, 2016

Ch :D

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I continue to enjoy the space archaeology aspects of this series. That was my favorite part of the character as originally introduced, and I'm glad this series is focusing on that aspect. As well as a bit of character insight -- I can't help but compare this issue with the earlier Vader issue where Aphra tells us a bit about her background and tortures the guy. She didn't seem to enjoy that all too much.
    Also, the Massassi artifacts were pretty cool. Intrigued to see how those play in.
    I think what I like best about archaeology in Star Wars is that we get to see normal people react to the mythical stuff and try to make sense of it.

6. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    I just finished issue two and will be picking up three tomorrow. Already this is my favorite star wars comic. It's spectacular. I don't know what to start about it exactly. Aphra is an amazing character and the more stories I read with her, the more I like her. I'm also really enjoying the archeology aspect of the book.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Can't get over the fact about how useless the Imperials were. So completely pathetic. It seems to me that during Darth Vader Aphra's enemies were a lot more threatening. I get that there's more of a comedic tone, but at the same time it doesn't make me care about the fights if they're so easily won.

It's curious how Aphra has no problem with the sterilization of Geonosis but has problems with the Death Star. She never struck me as racist so it seems like inconsistent writing. I hope they aren't planning to turn her soft just because she's the protagonist now.

However I did enjoy her banter with dad quite a bit and it is interesting getting to know her back story more. There's a lot of bitterness and vulnerability that her dad brings out in her.

The archaeological stuff was also pretty neat.

8. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    I am really scared they are gonna make her soft or more moral. I really ope she stays the cruel SOB she was in the Vader book. She can be fun but no need to have her be a good person.

SilentGuy66, spicer and Darth_Pevra like this.
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    If you had a problem with the sterilization of Geonosis, would you tell Vader?

10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Maybe not, but she seemed pretty upbeat about the whole thing.

vncredleader likes this.
  11. Jedha John

Jedha John Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 19, 2017
    Love this comic. I haven't read comics for about 30 years, then decided to read the trade paperbacks (SW & DV) to see what depth & details they add to the universe. Really enjoyed DV and was sold on Doctor Aphra after the whole "You're what I've been looking for all my life" frame and even more so with the page with the "If I get a choice, I'd like the lightsaber right through the neck." The line "You're what I've been looking for all my life" is so interesting - what happened in someone's past to make them think this? And how does this correlate with her actions on Yavin IV and thoughts about Alderaan and Jedha?

Needless to say, I was psyched that Doctor Aphra got her own ongoing and now I am the comic store every Wednesday a new issue comes out. Fantastic writing. Can't wait for issue #4.

What do we need to do to keep this series running forever?

12. HeatherAntos

HeatherAntos Marvel Comics Assistant Editor VIP

Apr 26, 2016

Keep buying 'em! ;-)

13. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    I don't think Aphra cares massively about Alderaan. I think it's more that she automatically argues with her dad.

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    That's the impression I got as well. She persisted arguing about Alderaan just to spite her dad.

Ulicus and vncredleader like this.
  15. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

I think it's that and in the case of Jeedha that was also a massive historical site that was lost with untold treasures.

I think her reaction can be read as a mix of frustrating her dad and frustration at the Empire destroy the sorts of things she tries to save.

BigAl6ft6 and darklordoftech like this.
  16. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Fixed it for you.

17. Dimitar

Dimitar Jedi Padawan

Jan 22, 2017
    I was a bit worried this series would pale in comparison to Darth Vader, but I find it more and more enjoyable with every new issue. The art is really nice and the the direction the plot is taking is intriguing (bring on more of the history of the Jedi!). While I usually like references to other works/series, the Rogue One bits in #3 seemed a little shoehorned to me. Looking forward to a long run of Doctor Aphra.

18. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    I might follow this one series out of them all, it's the first one from Marvel I read that feels more like an EU story rather than an attempt to recapture moments from the films. Aphra's definitely my favourite new EU character we've seen with 000 being a close second, and if the story connects more to the old Tales of the Jedi lore, I'll follow it for a good while :)

19. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    KikReask- Get use to it buddy because that's the new Disney direction. The old EU way of doing things are a bit........................over. Still, the story is fantastic, in fact, all the Marvel comics have been real good. All these stories all fit as one, so this is even bigger than the Marvel Cinematic Universe. All the movies, animation, comic books, and novels tie in together.

20. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    I'm looking forward to learning what exactly happened to her mom as that should give us some color on her views of the rebellion and the empire. I was first thinking that Aphra backed DV and the Empire because they would have brought order to her world which may have allowed her mom to survive. But, I am not sure if that is the case as it sounds like her mom may have rebelled against the empire. Aphra may have just worked with DV as he is always involved in the most dangerous adventures which is what makes her tick. Or Aphra might believe in the empire's cause as she viewed those who sucked her mom into defying the empire as fools. Makes sense that she is taking the high road with her dad about Alderaan and Jedha just to make a point with her dad that he does not care about the living (specifically his daughter) and is instead obsessed with the past.

By the way, the cover for issue #6 by Kamome Shirahama in the April solicitations is incredible. The description of what I assume is a new arc is also ridiculously tantalizing.

21. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    excellent issue and can't wait for the fourth one to come out.

22. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This was a fun issue because it had a nice balance between Star Wars relic hunting trickery and a ticked off Wookiee blasting people (especially when he tore the canon off the AT-AT and used it manually). Also I loved how it snuck on the destruction of Jedah as an event (and it being written off as a mining accident but Aphra doesn't buy it). The last panel was grand too

23. rjrjr

rjrjr Jedi Master star 1

Aug 11, 2009
    I'm trying to enjoy the title because I thought the character had potential in Darth Vader, but there are 2 things that are really bugging me: 1) the parallels in this story to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (I am expecting Mr. Aphra to pull out and umbrella or something in the next issue to save them. Bets on him finding his "holy grail" at the end of this arc?) and 2) Dr. Aphra's extreme bitterness towards her dad. So bitter, the character is not fun to read and I feel more sympathy for the dad. Jones was bitter, but it wasn't over the top and provided some funny moments. Dr. Aphra's bitterness just makes the character ... ugly.

Here's to hoping I'm wrong about this story and the ending won't parallel the movie. I'd also like a return of the Dr. Aphra character we saw in the Darth Vader title.

24. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Considering her backstory her reaction to her dad does make a lot of sense. She blames her dad for her mom getting killed. A lot of kids hold a lot of bitterness towards a parent after a divorce.

As far as her returning to being the same character as she was in the Vader series well she was mainly comic relief in the Vader series. Since this is her series she really shouldn't be a comic relief character.

25. Jedha John

Jan 19, 2017
    The cover for issue #6 (gorgeous cover by Kamome Shirahama) that I referred to above that is in Marvel's April solicitations sounds like it will be the last issue in the first arc. I base this on the fact that amazon lists the first TPB to be issues 1-6.

This makes sense as the cover and description seem to jive with the article by screen rant in the link below that does a great job of connecting this Aphra tale to an arc called "Blind Fury" by Alan Moore in Marvel UK's Star Wars Monthly #159 in 1982. Excellent article if you have time to check it out...basically setting forth a compelling argument that this Doctor Aphra first arc is influenced by Rur from the 1982 Blind Fury arc.

The cover to #6 seems to support this in some ways.

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-comic-canon/