main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hey that's pretty good. You should think about writing a book or something on the matter. ;)

Pfluegermeister and jasonfry like this.
  2. JediKnight75

JediKnight75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 15, 2011
    My thoughts exactly! That was a great post!

Pfluegermeister likes this.
  3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    One thing that has been consistent since 1976 (I'm using the year of the novelization's publication) is Vader's desire for the dark side to rule the galaxy. He contemplates it in the novelization, thinking about how foolish Tarkin, Motti, and Palpatine are. Of course, we now know that Palpatine didn't foolishly trust Vader nor was he oblivious to the power of The Force.

darthosaka likes this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I do miss Palpatine the foolish bureaucrat. I have affection for foolish bureaucrats.

I wonder if 1976 Palpatine had a fancy hat.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Hey, that's why -- even though I never for a second believed it -- I was kind of partial to the "Palpatine is Sidious' clone" hypothesis. :p

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I guess we are kinda getting bureaucrat Palpatine with Amedda though -- and it's not going too great for him.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Cracian_Thumper and Vthuil like this.
  7. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Okay, I'll keep that in mind for the future.

Okay. Now that I think about it, the "Lyra [whatever-the-last-name]" alias seems to be unique to your book (didn't see it anywhere else when adding info to Wookieepedia).

It's interesting to hear about how these projects are created.

Wow, and I only noticed it since I was using the book to update a Wookieepedia article. I'd actually wondered if they represented different incidents or something. (IMHO, a mistake of repeated information -- especially if it can be written off as a duplication error in the "original rap sheet" in universe -- is preferable to one where inaccurate information was accidentally inserted.)

Okay. To be totally honest, I never got the idea that Tarkin was angling to use the Death to become Emperor, I never read the original edition of the ANH novelization, an all that, but, then, I came to the movies years after they were made, so I kind of always knew that Vader was the Emperor's number one, and all that. I suspect that that's probably a different experience than what you had. However, the reasoning in that later post is well-presented, and the inclusion in the book works; Tarkin could be considering treachery, he might not, but it still adds to the threat level that the Rebels have to deal with.

Thank you for taking time to reply.

8. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Considering how often mention of photo insert from the 1976 novelization is coming up, I thought it would be appropriate for me to dig up the vintage treasure and post what the insert actually said on this issue (the relevant passage has been highlighted by me):

That's pretty clearly spelled out, we gotta admit...

9. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    I would never have guessed! ;-)

Good to see Sival's alias is alive and well in Canon. Though I've been wondering ... what made you pick "Arhul" as the name to get the in-universe boost from The Kallea Cycle? I know other names were at least on your radar for popularity and high usage (Crix and Firmus, at the least). Did "Arhul" have a particularly nice ring to it, or did it just win a coin toss?

For which I am most grateful! ;-)

And, importantly, the other characters involved, as well.

On Twitter, you wrote that the book was "Fun to do while an interesting challenge for storytelling, presentation, POV and language." That it was! You had to juggle making it feel like a real intelligence document, building narratively towards the Rogue One story, keeping it accessible to the target age group, and keeping it interesting in the process. There's no way to get a perfect score on all of those goals without compromising somewhere, but I think you did the best job possible in scoring high on all of them.

10. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
  11. JMM

JMM Author: The Forgotten War, SW Fact File star 3 VIP

Jul 9, 1998
    You got some major kudos from a certain secret group on Facebook for adding some of those obscure characters back into canon! :) I have the Visual Guide for the movie, but I think I may need to add the Rebel Dossier to the collection. Please feel free to re-canonize anything about Star Tours or the Nagai.

Speaking of keeping things in the canon, after waiting so many years to get a full Red Squadron roster at Yavin in Warfare, I'm really holding out hope that those stay the same even though we met new Reds in Rogue One. Still, I'm sure they must've lost a lot of pilots at Scarif.

jasonfry likes this.
  12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
  13. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I am continually happy with the love the radio dramas are getting with the new canon.

14. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Hmm, the original start does seem like it would have taken too long for Luke to get to Devaron, but I am disappointed we missed out on seeing Herglics. One of my favorite underused species.

jSarek likes this.
  15. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016

Very much so, I love author's notes. Can't wait for the rest of them.

(Very funny anecdote about you and Greg Rucka being assigned opposite characters then you felt inclined to. For what it's worth, from the final novel, I wouldn't have guessed you weren't a Luke person.)

jasonfry likes this.
  16. darthosaka

darthosaka Jedi Master star 1

Oct 25, 2012
    Really? I didn't see Toprawa anywhere in Rogue One.

17. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Hey Jason, so finished Weapon of a Jedi, a few thoughts and critiques, since I bet you get real tired of everyone saying how good the book is. :p

The basic structure, plot, and characteristics of Luke were great. The stakes weren't too high, and it was mostly a personal journey for Luke scouting for more clues about the Jedi, very cool.

The remote scene was problematic, because Luke went from essentially a scrub who could barely fend off one remote in the film, to going into a trance state where he was continuously blocking, seemingly at full speed, fire from three different remotes for more than three hours. Now, this is a personal taste issue, but I felt that was too much progress, too fast. I realize the point was to get Luke from A: to B: as far as a moderate level of skill that we see in Empire Strikes Back. But it would have been more than enough to show Luke struggling and FINALLY being able to guard two remotes, only for the third to float in. Could have been a funny moment, and illustrate that Luke still has a lot to learn.

The brief and brutal fight with the Imperials was well done, but I did eye-roll a little at Sarco stepping into Luke's guard and not doing "anything" to dodge or block his wild swing. Any experienced fighters knows not to take a wounded enemy lightly. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have brought back the gimmick from the original Tagge-Luke fight from Marvel. Sarco throws a rock to distract Luke, but as previously established, Luke can *feel* it's a rock, so he cuts it, and continues to pivots to hit Sarco as he steps into range.

So, that's it! An excellent book with a few minor flaws.

jasonfry likes this.
  18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Part 2 of the author's notes are up....

19. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Hmm, regarding the possibility of Luke getting swimming lessons on Tatooine that you refer to in your notes, Luke seemed pretty determined to get into the Imperial Academy and I imagine basic physical skills (like swimming) was probably a requirement in the application. Maybe Fixer got Luke smuggled into a Hutt or Imperial governor's swimming resort on Tatooine somewhere and he got a crash course...

As it was in Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the Legends timeline indicates 2 years had passed since ANH by the time of that story, more than enough time for Luke to get swimming training with the Rebels. Thus, the only Legends continuity error would be Leia swimming earlier in the Marvel comics series, but suddenly being unable to swim in Splinter.

vncredleader and darthosaka like this.
  20. BeesInABar

BeesInABar Jedi Master star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    jasonfry When you were writing the lever scene, had you been given information on Luke's telekinesis breakthroughs in Heir to the Jedi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000

If he were, he may have been noodling it around.

Taalcon likes this.
  22. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Part 3 addresses Heir, and some other stuff....

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The motion comics for WOAJ and Smuggler's Run - done in apparent association with Nestle of all companies - are still one of the most randomly cool things of the new canon.

Revanfan1, Cynical_Ben and jasonfry like this.
  24. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Hmm, it seems the reference to the Tagge fight was there, I just didn't pick up on it. :p

25. TOD-UK

TOD-UK Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I've just picked up Rogue One Mission Dossier in WHSmith in the U.K. and it appears the name has been changed to Mission Files for the uk market