main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Episode 8 Title - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darkslayer, Jan 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tan-Wessel

Tan-Wessel Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001

I fell asleep reading this news and 9 pages of this thread in mid-flight. I just woke up to page 25 about to land in Japan, myself. :p

Maybe he'll pull apart his robes further as he completely turns his body towards Rey and say: "The Last Jedi, you won't be...there is another...Skywalker." Gotta pull away robes and smile as he reveals his preggo belly nodding away..."And twinsies!"

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    This exact title was guessed at by the internet for a long time and known by a quite a few people in the cast.

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, I love it, and I'm always right! So, I'll just lock this, shall I? :)

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't see any reason to keep it open. Go ahead do the honors... :p

Buddha Fett and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  5. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    The Last Jedi is a cool straightforward title. The title fits the current direction of the story and I am hope this is a sign that a trailer may be on it's way soon.

HellasLEAF-Jedi likes this.
  6. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    very soon hopefully.

7. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    All these people on Facebook saying luke is dying - didn't they watch TFA? That was all about finding Luke: And now they have - The Last Jedi.

(It's because everyone has been tied up trying to compare EVeRYTHiNG from ANH to TFA and this is a departure they don't know what to think)

8. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    My guess regarding Episode VIII's crawl:

It will likely say a bit to flesh about the new political orientation of the galaxy (which is an unknown after the SKB battle and destruction of Hosnian Prime), and then narrow down to the personal scale (as all the crawls do).

Something like:

The Galaxy is in chaos. The First Order has destroyed the seat of the Republic, but has lost its system-killing superweapon. This has created a vacuum, where many factions have begun vying for power. Blah blah blah.

Followed by:

Amidst this confusion, Rey confronts the Last Jedi, Luke Skywalker, looking for answers. Followed by the first shot.

Or:

Amidst this confusion, Kylo Ren is brought before Supreme Leader Snoke. Followed by the first shot.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't something like that.

grand_admiral_ewok likes this.
  9. Tycalibur

Tycalibur Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 26, 2001

I'm going to guess the first trailer will make its premiere at Star Wars Celebration 2017, which starts on April 13th. And it won't be a teaser, but that's a personal guess based on the timetable of the TFA trailers.

10. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    LOL even Del Rey has responded.:p

11. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    Anyone who seriously thinks Rian stole the title from an obscure EU book - rather than being inspired by Yoda's description of Luke/nodding to the repeated descriptions of Luke as The Last Jedi in VII - please come to the front desk to surrender your nerd card.

12. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Hmm...these are good points--I was wrong.

If anything, it might even cultivate curiosity. "What are these 'Whills' doing in my Star Wars? I am, in fact, intrigued."

Well, believe whatever you want but it ain't "utter nonsense" in the slightest. I would suggest that you being "shocked" perhaps means you weren't paying close attention or have a selective memory in this regard.

I know that myself and several others have balked at giving the idea any merit ever since the moment we'd been unduly exposed to it. It is and always has been "utter nonsense"--flitting about harmlessly in the fanboy ether.

13. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I think we may get it during super bowl but im not sure with how disney is randomly dropping hints and trailers, though they might have dropped it to lift us up considering the bull **** that is going on in our political climate now, aka we have empire palp as president.

14. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014
    I've been a Star Wars fan for over twenty years. What is this naming tradition and how exactly does The Last Jedi break it? I don't see how this title is any different from the other seven.

15. Tycalibur

Tycalibur Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 26, 2001
    I don't get it either. The title is either just good, or bad, in my mind. In this case I really like it.

16. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Oh.. and just for the record... if we're going to point out the similarity between the names of The Last Samurai and The Last Jedi, also do point out what THE LAST SAMURAI was about and how it *wasn't* about the Samurai coming back. Just saying!

What I would really like to see though is the name used as a part of a jumping off into being able to detail the backstory of HOW Luke became The Last Jedi. Flashbacks in Star Wars are VERY tricky because the series tends to have an Always Forward driving motif and the closest they've gotten is the Forceback. Part of the reason I think they picked Rian Johnson for this episode was the work he did with Looper and to find some way to be able to fully integrate a flashback with necessary exposition of What Happened into the flow of the story. Whether that is some area of Force sensitivity like a tree that acts like the one for Bran in Game of Thrones to detail the events of the Tower of Joy, or what. Something to show what went on with a) Rey's 'parents' and her being dropped on Jakku along with b) detailing Luke's history with Ben, and his fall to The Dark Side and the massacre.

17. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It isn't something like "New Order Smackdown!".
    Something aggressive and pulpy.

But it is the right title for this movie.

18. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    It doesn't break anything. Indeed, it is similar in structure and substance to the current title of the first Star Wars film, A New Hope.

But neither is A New Hope, Return of the Jedi and Rogue One. This "naming convention" thing is a myth.

19. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    I would love if VIII and IX opened with flashbacks LOTR style. Unfortunately there's that opening crawl. :p

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

That's a good point, although I tend to think it does refer to Luke.

21. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    It's probably called The Last Jedi because Luke's about to lose his health insurance.

22. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I always prefer to think of ROTJ as plural. So, maybe this one is plural too. I love the title. I'm not gonna over-think it.

23. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Episode VIII: The Last Jedi
    Episode IX: The Return of the Jedi Healthcare Plan

Sorry, Luke. If you'd only held out a little longer...

24. TheManFromMortis

TheManFromMortis Jedi Master star 3

Nov 19, 2012
    _ _ _ _

Agreed. The Last Jedi and Episode IX need to deliver more than just nostalgia. I enjoyed The Force Awakens, of course, but the fact that half of the film was essentially a remake of ANH let it down somewhat. It was the newer elements of the story - e.g. Snoke, Kylo Ren, Rey, the search for Luke etc - that I found more enjoyable and intriguing.

Qui-Riv-Brid and ladygrey45 like this.
  25. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Well.. my intention was to go in real time until they used whatever force-thingy to detail exposition in the past. Similar to Luke getting to TESB, starting training with Yoda, and then encountering the trial in the cave.

HOWEVER, your words intrigue me. If they really want to get experimental, you could have a crawl that details stuff that is going to happen later in the film, and then the movie actually starts in a flashback where they first met(end of TFA) and proceeds until it closes the loop midway and shows how they got to the events of the crawl and then proceeds to the end of the film. That would be... interesting.. and really situate the audience to a non-linear narrative that could then allow for flashbacks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.