main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - OT [DDC 2017]Teenage Rebellion--Updated 11/27/2017 (Mara/Ezra/Luke)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Raissa Baiard, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Before my comment, I'd like to address the following SHOCKING points.

OH.MY.GOAT. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA. SO THAT'S WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR SOCIAL LIFE IS ALL ABOUT POWER CONVERTERS. :eek:

"Huh-huh, she said 'behind'!"

That and all those beautiful hands wasted in a nuclear explosion. :(

Mara #3

Totally love the inside joke that made it to the very beginning of this. :p To those who don't know, I misinterpreted Doran's haircut as a "mullet" when Raissa shared an old drawing of him and that made it to her award fic. Of course that Mara would mention her dad's excuse for being out of style, especially since she's quite stylish for the tomboy she is here. :D

I assume that Hobbie's criteria for hitting on somebody is pretty simple: "a woman older than 16 or so". :p Love it how Mara explained her ways of possibly dealing with him. You go, girl! :)

And this bit had me in stitches:

Yup, Force doesn't guarantee that you'll make sense. Looks like that's one thing Mara herself got wrong. I guess she didn't hear much about her dad when he was younger. *snort*

Ezra #1

At this point, the Aladdin of Star Wars seems a bit saner than the other two. #lamepun #seeifyoucanspotit

Ezra may not be as much in touch with his feelings as Mara is, but there's something about his description of Jedha that can parallel her assessment of Alderaan's destruction. Of course, he does not have that kind of a personal connection to it, but he knows right from wrong and he has learned to embrace the Force and anything that could be sacred to a (mostly) lightsider. I can see how Hera figured that out as well and that's a nugget of awesome worth noticing. ;)

But still, as much as he would probably hate to admit it, he's smitten. He doesn't know how to express it and, though his comparisons are not as off-the-wall as Luke's, he cares...a lot. :D

I hope Ezra and Mara don't miss each other, thought that could provide us with more lulz.

Time Zeb got hold of some B.O. K.O.

2. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    Because Luke really is a mooka pup. :p [face_love] I loved reading more of Mara's observations - it's endearing to read about Luke from her eyes, and I empathize with her eye rolling at Hobbie and the assumptions being made where she and Luke are concerned. Yep, boy meets girl and everything following that should be obvious, right? :p (Though I am curious to see more of this Luke and Mara/Ezra dynamic play out. [face_thinking]) Her ending thoughts about Ezra were beautiful, and sobering.

The end of her section made me glad to hear from Ezra and know that he's still okay! This:

The Holy City was just gone and everything around it was dead....like a big blank spot in the Force. The kind of dead that makes you cold even when when you’re wearing six layers of enviro-suit. I think even Zeb could sense it.

- was a particularly powerful line. Yeah, what an emptiness in the Force that must be - I can only imagine. :( His own isolation from Mara was a sad echo to that, and I look forward to him being able to make it back to base again. :)

3. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Each time I think that I have seen all and cannot be impressed by a fanfic something unexpected comes along like your story.

Love your sassy Mara, your cute Luke & the dry humour of your Ezra! [face_love]

4. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    Wow, thanks for all the awesome replies! I really appreciate them and am glad you guys are enjoying it. :D Hope I can cover all your great observations:

Mara
    Yes, because any random man and woman who interact must be a couple! Contrary to what Harry and Sally said, they could just be friends.
    Um...no. Not exactly
    I don't think they were intentionally tag-teaming Luke; it's just that they could see his mushiness for what it was. Leia was probably amused and a little glad that for once she wasn't on the receiving end.

Jedha
    Thank you all. At first I just wanted the crew to have a mission in some yucky, out of the way place. After seeing R1, I had the idea of them looking for kyber crystals, and the discussion in the writers' desk thread of what Jedha would be like after the Death Star's strike really helped me picture the destruction. Even though there wasn't a consensus about how much of the planet would remain habitable, it seems that nothing would be left of the Holy City and a sizable area around it. Since the Force flows from life, I thought that an area that was so utterly lifeless would be empty in the Force and cold from the evil that had occurred there. It could not be very pleasant for anyone who was Force-sensitive to be there and the utter devastation would make even those who weren't uneasy
    I think by this point Hera's seen enough of the Force to appreciate that there are things in the Galaxy that just can't be explained. She cares for both Kanan and Ezra and can see the change in them and is a good enough commander to cut a useless mission short for their sakes.

Luke
    He does mature pretty quickly, though in ANH and early in ESB, he's so emotional over everything from power converters to princesses. It's fun to channel that emotional (dare I say whiny?) farmboy and certain aspects of myself at that age. Another perk of being older--those mortifying teen years stop being embarrassing and become inspiration for comedy
    Glad you like the image of him as a mooka, since I borrowed it from you! (And he may, at some point, be a sad mooka pup, like Carth). Like pups of any kind, if you show them a little encouragement they will be your friend for life, whether you will or no. Like Dug from Up, Luke's motto seems to be "I just met you, and I love you!"
    He really is a nice guy and helpful to Mara. She does like him...just not that way.

I don't think Luke is picking up on her Force-sensitivity, as such. He's only had about a week's worth of Force training with Obi-Wan (if that). It may be, however, that it's part of why he's so drawn to her. (You know, besides those tree-green eyes)

Hobbie
    It's been a long time since I've read the X-wing books, but looking at his entry on the Wook, Hobbie seemed like he would hit on any new female recruits as a matter of course. With Jedi dad and Imperial Prefect mom to train her, Mara could make good on that threat in any number of creative ways; let's hope she doesn't have to. Her social life is going to be interesting enough as it is! He is probably going to show up further to give Luke...er, helpful advice about women. :p

Zeb
    Poor Zeb indeed. I imagine it's difficult to find an enviro-suit the right size for a Lasat in the first place,and then all that fur and no showers...
    Would Axe spray be called VibroAxe in the GFFA? :D

I thought you might enjoy that bit. It's also a nod to my nephew, who, when he was three, asked me why Luke had girl's hair. Well, you see, kid....there was this thing called the 1970's....

NO ONE'S comparisons are as off-the wall's as Luke's. But, yes, Ezra does care. [face_love]
    You're a cruel woman...;)

[face_whistling]
    Thank you so much:D This was just one of those stray plot bunnies that ran amok... I thought that Kanan and my OC, Doran Blayne, would get along quite well. Which led to the idea that, hmm, Kanan's padawan, Ezra, and Doran's daughter, Mara, are nearly the same age, and they would likely hit it off as well...and what would happen if she met Ezra before she met Luke? [face_devil]

Kahara, Findswoman and Ewok Poet like this.
  5. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Briannakin, mavjade
    Luke
    Mara is SO AMAZING. I’ve never met any girl like her; she isn’t just BEAUTIFUL, she’s BRILLIANT, too. When we met, I figured she was another pilot--there have been a lot of new ones joining up lately--but it turns out she’s with Alliance Intelligence. I guess that makes her a SPY? (I mean, in a GOOD WAY) She tried to explain to me what they do, but I’m not sure I understood everything. It has something to do with computers...breaking into Imperial networks and cracking codes. She says she’s been doing this since she was a little girl, so she has to be one of the SMARTEST PEOPLE I’VE EVER MET.

She knows all sorts of alien languages from working at her dad’s cantina, too. She even speaks WOOKIEE. We were walking in the courtyard after lunch today--and she looked SO BEAUTIFUL, with the sun shining on her hair and making her eyes sparkle like sparkly dew drops on leaves (never saw those until I came here; Mara’s eyes are just like them!)--when Han and Chewie came up to us. “Hey, kid, have you seen Her Worshipfulness lately? She’s not still sore about the thing with the…Who’s the cheeka?”

Mara’s lips pressed into a straight line. “I don’t know. Why don’t you ask her and find out?” Han scowled at her, especially when she held out a hand TO CHEWIE and said, “Hello, I’m Mara Blayne. Does this Corellian belong to you?”

Chewbacca laughed (I think that wurf-wurf-wurf noise was laughing) and said something to Mara that made her laugh, too. “Honored to meet you, Chewbacca. Don't worry, I would never hold it against you.”

“You understood him?” I stared at her--I hope she didn’t notice; don’t want her to think I’m rude. “How did you do that? I still can’t understand him.”

“I picked up a little Shyriiwook at the Café Alderaan.” Mara shrugged like it was nothing special (brilliant and MODEST! And beautiful!) “If I understood him right, Chewbacca said yes, the Corellian is his, though he’s never been able to do anything about his manners.” Chewie nodded and rrrrurghed something else, spreading his hands...paws..hands. Whatever. “He says ‘close enough.’”

“Thanks a lot, buddy,” Han muttered, glaring at both of them.

“I know a couple of words in Jawa,” I told Mara, “…but,uh, I guess that’s not very useful around here.”

“I’m surprised you don’t know Huttese, living on Tatooine. It was a major trade language on Merkesh, thanks to the local sleemo crime-lord. I speak it and Minnisaat pretty well, and Bothese, too, thanks to Uncle Dev.” (She speaks four languages….I told you she was BRILLIANT! <3)

“Wow! That’s great. You’re really amazing...uh, amazingly talented. Don’t you think she’s talented, Han?”

“Oh sure,” Han rolled his eyes, and then he got this sly look on his face, the one he gets when he’s about to say something that will make Leia throw up her hands and storm off in disgust. “I bet she has lots of talents,” he said, elbowing me in the ribs. “I’ve heard redheads are wilder than Yavin’s jungle, if you know what I mean.”

I had no idea what he meant, but I guess Mara did. Her green eyes flashed like...umm..the warning lights on the Falcon’s hyperdrive and she gave him a smile that was just a little too sweet. “And I heard smugglers make the jump to hyperspace in under six milliseconds, if you know what I mean.” Han spluttered and Chewie wurf-wurf-wurfed, but I had no idea what she meant, either. “It’s been nice talking to you, Luke, but I really need to get back to work.” She didn’t exactly storm off like Leia does when Han makes her mad, but she left pretty fast.

“Cute kid,” Han snarled after she was gone. “Speaks as many languages as Goldenrod, and I bet she has a smart mouth in all of them.”

“Well, I think she’s cute...I mean, nice!” I was really mad at Han at that point. What is wrong with him, anyway? First, he was always giving Leia a hard time, calling her Your Highnessness or Sweetheart or Princess Pastry Puffs. Then he had to chase off Mara with some stupid comment about jungles. He just has NO IDEA how to treat a lady! How am I ever supposed to have a chance if Han keeps hanging around me, interrupting? “You didn't have to be so rude to her. We were having a nice conversation before you butted in!”

He stared at me as if I’d just sprouted lekku or something for a minute, then grinned like he won the jackpot at the all-squadron sabacc game, and laughed. “You’ve got a thing for her! Huh? Huh? C’mon, admit it; you’ve got the hots for Red.”

That hurt; I mean, I thought Han was my FRIEND. He didn’t have to LAUGH AT ME just because I’m IN LOVE. I bet he’s NEVER felt this way for ANYONE! “Okay, okay….I get it. She’s smart and beautiful and amazing and exciting, and I’m just boring old Luke Skywalker from boring Tatooine. Aw, who am I kidding? Mara’s never going to go for someone like me… I don’t know. Maybe I’d have a better chance with Leia.”

“No.” Han’s grin vanished all of a sudden. “No. I mean…it’s, uh, great that you like her! She’s...great...and, hey, you’re no Hutt, either! You should absolutely go for it!”

Chewbacca shook his head and growled, crossing his arms over his chest.

“What’d he say?”

“Chewie thinks she’s great, too! He says...uh...you two would be perfect together.”

PERFECT.<3

Even Han and Chewie think Mara and I are PERFECT FOR EACH OTHER. If they can see it (and let’s face it, they’re not the Galaxy’s most sensitive beings) then it really must be TRUE1!! I just… I just need to a way to tell Mara how I feel. I know she feels the same!

After all, she’s PERFECT <3<3<3

6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    New fanon product! Man you are good at coming up with those [face_laugh]

AND LUUUUUUUKEEEE! Luke just has fallen so hard for Mara [face_rofl] She's not going to like this.

7. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Right now, I could kick this gruffy, insensitive nerfherder of a Corellian straight into the mines of Kessel, hoping he doesn't spoil things for Luke.

Raissa Baiard and Kahara like this.
  8. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    Mara wasn't running away from Luke. She wanted to get away from Han before she lost it and gave him a free lesson in singing soprano![face_laugh]

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    HOLY BANTHA POODOO, YOU FOUND MY LIVEJOURNAL CIRCA 2001-2002. :oops:

In other words, the best impression of an emotional and naive teenager journaling EVER. Luke is describing Mara in everyday situations the way a model would appear in a shampoo commercial. Because, of course, every single thing about her is extraordinary. How familiar. How very familiar. And what is almost pervasive here is how Luke's naivete still trumps his achievements - kid, you're the hero of Yavin, yet you're basically still a baby!

I loved how Mara told Han off. :p If that's what he got, Hobbie is going to get a Force sucker punch. And don't get me started on what would happen if Leia found about that redhead thing. And, of course, whatever the legal age is, Han should watch for it. :p

Now, let's see what happens when the Ghost crew arrives. :D

10. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Yes, this is about the best impression of a totally wowed, bowled-over, mooka-love-struck teen I've just about ever seen on these boards. :D And there is no better teen in the GFFA to exhibit those characteristics than dear ol' Luke! I can only second what the others have said about the way he has gotten so completely razzle-dazzled by everything about Mara... her linguistic abilities, her looks, her brains. And I love the continuation of the zany-but-in-their-way-poetic comparisons between her eyes and... trees! Warning lights on the Falcon! What will be next, lightbugs flickering in the Yavin jungle?

Mara's greeting to Chewie ("Does this Corellian belong to you?" [face_laugh]) is spot-on perfect, as is her "hyperspace jump" retort to Han. Even if Luke is a lovestruck mooka pup, he at least has the right idea of the way to treat a lady and about what things to appreciate about her—her actual talents and aptitudes, rather than any sort of "what they say about redheads." At the same time, though, one can tell Han isn't really all that serious in his wooing (if one can call it that) of Mara, because he abandons the attempt in pretty short order in favor of Leia. (Though he'll have challenges along the way there, too, as we know!) I will be curious to see what form Luke's declaration of love will take; I know we have talked about a few possibilities elsewhere, but I'm still curious, of course. And to see what effect the arrival of the Ghost will have—because that might indeed throw a bit of a monkey wrench in things for him! :D

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Raissa Baiard like this.
  11. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    VibroAxe is totally going to make an appearance. With all these teenage guys trying to get Mara's good graces, they may want some help becoming IRRESISTIBLE TO WOMEN!

I'm not sure Luke has to worry about Han spoiling things. ;) He's going to have bigger concerns in the form of a not-quite-as-scruffy former Loth-rat.

Ooh...soprano Han. There's an interesting image. :D Depending on the day, Leia might applaud those "singing lessons', too.

So I guess it wasn't too over-the-top after all... :D

Well, since we've got VibroAxe, maybe Mara can have a second career as the GFFA's Clairol girl if Rebel spy doesn't work out for her.
    I think this is a combination of naïveté and modesty he really believes that anyone would have done the right thing. There also seems to be a shortage of girls on Tatooine besides Camie, who besides being taken, didn't seem all that nice. So when Luke finds a girl like Mara (or Leia) who is friendly-- SHE'S AWESOME; I'M IN LOVE!

As Findswoman noted, Han really interested in Mara. He's more ticked about her Corellian comment and the fact that she ignores him in favor of his sidekick. And this particular version of Mara has her share of smart-mouth Corellian heritage from her dad, so the two are bound to rub each other the wrong way.

Thank you [face_blush]

Ooh...that's a good one! I need to remember that! Yep, all things green and sparkly remind Luke of his Beloved's eyes. Good thing they don't have traffic lights on Yavin. :p

Working at an Outer Rim cantina has given Mara plenty of experience dealing with crude customers and off-color comments. She surely has a repertoire of comebacks. Han and Hobbie, beware...
    True; Luke does have a much better perspective on how to treat women. Even if almost everything about Mara wows him, at least he includes her intelligence and virtues in that list as well as her physical attributes. And his appreciation of her looks is still very innocent, in contrast to Han's comment. Aunt Beru has clearly raised him well.
    :D [face_whistling]

Kahara, Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  12. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Briannakin, mavjade

Thanks as always to Ewok Poet and Findswoman, beta readers and brainstormers extraordinaire. @};-

Ezra
    Yavin is like the opposite of Jedha--there’s so much life here. Not just the Rebel base and everyone on it, but all the plants and trees, the animals... the face-eating bugs….Yavin is crawling with life. It practically glows with it. It feels good to be back, even if we missed all the action while we were chasing phantom kyber crystals on Jedha….

Alderaan is gone. Jedha and Scarif weren’t enough for the Empire, they had to destroy an entire planet. Now I know why Kanan and I felt so sick and cold that day on Jedha… an entire world gone, a trillion lives ended. A trillion more reasons we have to defeat the Empire. I’d say at least they can’t destroy any more worlds, since we blew up the Death Star, but it cost us almost all of Red Squadron to do it. Only Wedge and a new pilot named Skywalker are left… Branon, Quersey, Chan, Dreis...all gone...

But life on Yavin goes on, and some things never change. Hera assigned me to clean up the Ghost while she and Kanan reported to the Council. How come I always get the dirty jobs? Zeb got to run diagnostics with Chopper, and Sabine did inventory and restocked the galley while I got to hose a meter’s worth of space dust off the hull. I would say it’s not fair, but nobody listens anyway.

I was working on the carbon scoring on top of the cockpit when Sabine came back from the supply depot. And of course, she had Wedge Antilles and Hobbie Klivian pushing a pair of repulsion sleds for her. Those two turn up whenever the Ghost on base (gee, I wonder why…). It’s like they’ve got radar or something. Wedge isn’t too bad, but Hobbie always acts like I’m the annoying kid brother who needs to run along and play so the cool kids can talk. First, I’m not that much younger than you, Hobbie. Second, I live on the Ghost, so you can run along. And third, Sabine’s not impressed...trust me on this. I’m an expert by now…

“Hi, Ezra!” Wedge stopped his cart by the gangway and waved up at me. “Good to see you in one piece. Hey, one of the new recruits was asking about you the other day.”

“Me?” I dropped my wire brush and jumped down. I couldn’t think of anyone who’d be asking for me, but it’s a big Galaxy, and I’ve made some friends between here and Lothal. Mostly friends...

“Who?” Hobbie demanded, lounging against the handle of his repulsor sled. “Who was asking about him?” Because nobody cares about me...I’m just bantha fodder, apparently.

“The redhead,” Wedge told him. “You know, the one who’s been assigned to Cracken’s Crew over in Intel. What’s her name, again?”

“The hot one? No way!”

Wait...a hot redhead was asking about me? Okay, I only know one redhead (and she’d probably kick my shebs if she heard me call her “hot”, but...um, yeah…) It couldn’t be her. She’s back on Merkesh...right? “Mara?”

“That’s it,” Wedge agreed. “So you know her?”

“Know her?” Sabine got that Big Sister look, and I ducked away before she could elbow me or mess up my hair or whatever annoying thing she was about to do. “She’s Ezra’s girlfriend.”

“Bridger has a girlfriend?!?” Hobbie’s expression said he thought that Jabba the Hutt would named Miss Empire before that happened. Yeah, Hobbie, Bridger has a girlfriend. Know who doesn’t? Oh, that’s right...you. “Wait, a minute, how did he get her for a girlfriend? She wouldn’t even give me the time of day!”

“What can I say? I guess some women just have good taste. But I’ll tell Mara you said ‘hello.’”

Sabine snorted, but didn’t say anything, which I’m sure was more because she likes Mara than any lack of a comment to me. “And where do you think you’re going? Doesn’t look like the Ghost is clean yet to me.”

“I just thought I should go over to Intel and welcome Mara to Yavin. You know, on behalf of the crew. It would be rude not to.”

“Uh huh.” Sabine rolled her eyes. “Because we all know what a stickler you are for manners.”

“Aw, c’mon...I’ll finish up the Ghost after dinner!” And I won’t tell Hera you let the guys do all the heavy lifting for you.

“Fine, but I’m not covering for you.” She shook her head and waved me away. “Go on, go. And tell Mara I said hello, too.”

“Don’t welcome her too much, Bridger.” Hobbie gave me a smirk worthy of that slimeball gambler, Calrissian. I think Kanan would be very proud of the fact that I resisted the urge to use the Force to split all the seams in his pants. I bet his skivvies wouldn’t impress Sabine, either.

“Shut up, Hobbie,” Wedge and Sabine told him simultaneously. I ignored him; I had more important things on my mind.

Mara’s here. She’s here....

Yeah, it’s great to be back!

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That's some chilling contrast between Yavin celebrating life (and victory) on one side and a devastated Jeddha and an exploded Alderaan on the other. And a very, very nice meta continuity nod, with the explanation on the destruction of Alderaan taking place at the same time as this useless expedition to Jeddha and Kanan and Ezra not feeling well because of it.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAA OH.MY.GOAT. Of course, he's got a PhD in what does not impress Sabine Wren. :D

Holy bantha poodoo, that's one SCARY mental image, right there.

What a bitter loser, this Hobbie. :p Then again, he also won't get Sabine, so...perhaps he's desperate at this point.

Can't wait to see what happens once the lovey-dovey convorees are at the same place as the third wheel. :p

14. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Luke's entry was so goofy and earnest and smitten. Oh boy - her eyes sparkle like sparkly dew. Nice simile, kid. And the exchange between Han and Mara is so funny. Poor Luke is bobbing along, clueless, in the wake.

Ezra's entry starts off so somberly. It's interesting how he sees Red Squadron as what it was before: he's a vet and Luke is the "new kid" who hasn't really registered in Ezra's mind yet. Instead Ezra thinks of all the old squadron members that Luke will really never know.

Then a nice reunion with Hobbie and Wedge, who foolishly think they can impress Sabine. It's really great how the crew of the Ghost meshes with the pilots. And some more funny banter about relationships.

Great updates! I really like how the canon characters from the movies, the EU characters, the SW Rebels characters and your clever spin on the whole thing come together. It's tough to create an ensemble cast and have the characters retain unique voices, but it really, really works here.

15. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Interesting comparison between Jedha and Yavin, and the destruction of Alderaan and how life has continued on for the Rebellion. Life always finds a way.

Oh, poor Sabine! I know she can handle herself, but Rogues can be so very annoying :p

HEEEEE! I can't wait for the reunion between Ezra and Mara and the drama that is sure to follow.

16. AzureAngel2

Jun 14, 2005
    Poor Luke. Mara is already taken. :oops:

Or is she not? [face_thinking]

Anyway, I like your Ezra. You portrait him pretty well. His humour, his thoughtfulness, his relationship with Kanan, his banter with Sabine, him always ending up with the dirty jobs... =D=

Findswoman , Kahara and Raissa Baiard like this.
  17. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    Mara’s lips pressed into a straight line. “I don’t know. Why don’t you ask her and find out?” Han scowled at her, especially when she held out a hand TO CHEWIE and said, “Hello, I’m Mara Blayne. Does this Corellian belong to you?”

Chewbacca laughed (I think that wurf-wurf-wurf noise was laughing) and said something to Mara that made her laugh, too. “Honored to meet you, Chewbacca. Don't worry, I would never hold it against you.”

I spluttered with laughter over this, I'm not going to lie - just as I also did with the rest of Mara's interaction with Han. She completely held her own and put him in place with aplomb. I adored that. Just as much as I adored Luke - he was such a puppy in this update! From his own moment of insecurity to Han's deflecting Luke away from Leia and OMG, Han and Chewie think we're PERFECT - all of it was just brilliant. It was refreshingly light-hearted to read! :p

You have a great collection of moods going on, at that. It was sobering to read Ezra's thoughts on Yavin compared to the worlds the Empire destroyed. And then Wedge and Hobbie! Hobbie. And Sabine. [face_laugh] The banter here was so much fun, and I'm looking forward to Ezra reuniting with Mara. :)

=D=

18. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Ack! I'm behind again! :( This is probably going to be a reoccurring theme.

Luke:
    He's so adorbs.
    YES! Go Mara!
    I also love how Mara gives it right back to Han. Luke not understanding what was going on made him more adorable.

And then at the end when Han starts to make fun of him and then backs off. That really shows a lot about Han and how he feels about his friendship with Luke.

Erza:
    I loved seeing him interact with Hobbie and Wedge, even if Hobbie was a bit mean, from Erza's POV. :(
    But Erza got the last laugh being with Mara, which was great!

I wonder how Luke is going to feel when he meets Erza??

I'm really enjoying how you are weaving all of these diaries together into one story!

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I know I said it during the beta, but when you first told me about this concept, one thing I never guessed would happen was that Ezra's entries would be the most serious, matter-of-fact, and levelheaded of the three—but they are! Former Lothal street rat or no, he's one perceptive fellow—he understands full well the enormity and implications of the wanton destruction wrought by the Empire on Jedha, Scarif, and Alderaan, and of the considerable losses that the Alliance has sustained even in achieving their victory at Yavin. He knows that he is fighting for more than just personal glory here—and though he complains about the drudge work Kanan makes him do, I am certain that deep inside he realizes that it too is furthering the cause in its humble way.

And most importantly, he shows a lot of levelheadedness and aplomb before those ridiculous Rogues (great exchange there). Yeah, Hobbie, Bridger is showing a lot more menschheit than you are—he could use the Force to split your pants apart, but he has chosen not to. :p And his mental remark about the likely implications of calling Mara "hot" show that he does know how to treat this lady.

Sabine's little big-sister act is hilarious, as is Ezra's reaction: "I ducked away before she could elbow me or mess up my hair or whatever annoying thing she was about to do." Perfect! [face_laugh] But really, who wouldn't want to mess up this young fellow's hair at any possible opportunity? He's got the kind of hair that just screams "mess me up!" (But it's best when it's the right people doing the messing, idn't it? ;) )

I look forward to Ezra's welcome—and its fallout! :)

Raissa Baiard and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    Thank you. One of the things you always hear about rain forests is how full of life they are (I think I read something like 300 different bugs in one tree!), so if the Force flows from life, then Yavin would be overflowing. It would rain after a long drought for a Force-sensitive after being someplace that's been scoured of life like Jedha. I thought Ezra and Kanan would have had to have felt something, even as Mara (and Obi-Wan) did.

Not much you can do with that degree, though....:p

Must not think about the swimsuit competition...must not...too late :eek:
    From what I've read about Hobbie, "desperate" seems to be a fair assessment.

:D
    Poetry is just not Luke's strong suit. Maybe he needs Threepio and his 6 million forms of communications to come up with some better metaphors. :c3po: And, yep, the innuendo just goes right over his head--whoosh!

Ezra's been in this fight for several years, and I think he'd know of most of the pilots, even if he didn't know them personally. He's seen more than a few of the, get shot down, and that's got to be hard. So it's good to see a couple of old friends ...even if one of them is Hobbie. :p

Thank you so much:) I think it helps that all of them have such well-drawn characters in the original. (And even though Mara is an AU extrapolation, Legends!Mara is a strong base to start from). It's a fun challenge to mix up all the sources and play with these characters in some not-so-serious situations.
    Wedge doesn't seem quite as bad as some of the other Rogues, but Hobbie... He should probably watch himself around a woman who knows so much about weapons and explosives. ;)

Reunion upcoming, and, yes, drama sure to follow!

The answer should be clear after the next post :)

Thank you! I love all the Rebels but Ezra's probably my favorite. He's got a good heart underneath the one-liners and occasional hot-headedness, and as you note, strong relationships with his adopted family. He's a great character, both to watch and write.

Thank you! I have to admit that I had fun with Mara and Han, too. He is so used to being the alpha dog, and for some chick to smart off to him....:D This is Mara, after all, and one who's spent her formative years in an Outer Rim cantina, at that.

You can imagine that what Chewie was really saying wasn't "OMG, you two would be perfect!" ;)

Thank you again :) They're a really fun collection of characters. I you will hope the reunion, too...from serious thoughts of destroyed worlds in the last entry to mush [face_love]
    Han really isn't making fun of Luke; it's more along the lines of good-natured teasing--from Han's perspective. For Luke, how could his BEST FRIEND not understand the DEPTHS OF HIS LOVE? Han's sudden change of heart owes at least as much to Luke's plan B to pursue Leia as friendship. ;)

I picture Ezra and Hobbie as having sort of an antagonistic relationship, since until recently they were "competing" for Sabine (though she would object to being viewed as anyone's "prize"!) with Ezra's attitude being "you're going to treat me like a pest? Fine, I'll stick around and really be a pest." I will neither confirm or deny having done something similar at that age ;)

Luke and Ezra....probably not going to be best friends:p

Thank you so much! :) I'm glad you're enjoying it; it's a lot of fun to write and to see everyone's comments!
    I know, who would have thought it of him? I didn't expect it to work out that way, but it does make sense. The Rebellion is personal for Ezra in a way it isn't for the others. He's been in the fight for nearly five years at this point. He's lost his family to the Empire and seen friends hurt, tortured, and killed. Mara's been part of the Rebellion in her own way, but she's been far from the front lines on a planet where her mother has mitigated the worst Imperial tendancies. Luke's lost loved ones, too, but it's still new to him. Ezra's learned during his time on the Ghost that their fight isn't just some grand adventure; they're in it to protect the weak and oppressed.

Of course, Ezra's diary may get less serious and sober now that he's away from the horrors of Jedha and back to Yavin, and a mooka-like farmboy is the worst thing he has to face :D

I imagine that five years with Space!Mom Hera and Big Sis Sabine have taught Ezra that there's more to women than just their appearances. And even those who could be described as "hot" don't necessarily appreciate being reduced to a single adjective. It probably also helps that he and Mara have already moved past the initial physical attraction and have been corresponding mostly via comlink, listening to each other's actual thoughts (at least most of the time:*)

Big sisters can definitely be annoying that way (I love you, Amira Baiard!) [face_laugh] Yes, I'm certain that Ezra would find it much more enjoyable for a certain redhead to be the one mussing his hair than Mandolorian big sis (who probably also delivers one heck of a noogie).

:D

21. Raissa Baiard

Nov 22, 1999
    As ever, thank you, thank you, thank you to Ewok Poet and Findswoman. This story wouldn't be here without you@};-
    Briannakin, mavjade

Mara
    I’ve never really been what you would call a romantic…

When I was ten, I started slicing the Imperial database for fun. My friends Velanie Jasra, Palomella Eusclaes, and Rominaria Winstar-Worplesdon stopped playing smashball and started giggling over holo-roms instead. Rominaria wondered what was wrong with me when I picked “Gar-Jen vs. Gargantua” for holo night instead. When I was twelve, I was building my lightsaber. They were obsessed with the Boyz of the New Order, and insisted I tell them who I thought was the cutest: Jek, Jax, Dax, Bail or Wenton. Velanie actually cried when I said they all looked the same and I thought their music was terrible. Rominaria asked me what was wrong with me. When I was fifteen, I started officially working at the Café Alderaan. They started reading Empress! magazine and swooning over the younger officers at the garrison, who did not impress me since I had to clean up after their Zelosian zherry bomb drinking games. When I said as much, Rominaria demanded to know what the hell was wrong with me. Meanwhile, Palomella was convinced I was going to meet some handsome, mysterious stranger at the Café, who would sweep me off my feet, just like in one of those holo-roms….

The crazy thing is, Mella was right; that’s exactly how I met Ezra. And yes, he was handsome and mysterious, but I think it’s fair to say that we swept each other off our feet! It’s the kind of story that would make Mella swoon, and she doesn’t know the half of it.

And today...today, I feel as blissfully mushy as any holo-rom heroine.

Because Ezra is here. He’s here....

I didn’t know the Ghost had come back to Yavin; I’d been working all day on slicing a transmission one of General Cracken’s field teams intercepted. It was double-encrypted, and not in any of the codes we knew, which meant it had to be something good. I was starting to get a headache from staring at it too long...bright screens and dim temples are a bad combination. I pushed my datapad away and had just closed my eyes when I heard a thump against the desk behind me, and a familiar voice: “Hey, what's a guy gotta do to get a drink around here?”

You know how people say their heart skipped a beat? I always assumed that was just an expression, but I swear mine did. I thought I must have been imagining things or maybe hearing some sort of strange Force-echo of the voice I’d been missing so much, but when I turned around, Ezra was there, leaning against the desk, grinning at me, the grin that always makes me want to smile back.

I tried to answer with the right counter-phrase: “Aren’t you a little young to be drinking this early in the morning?” --the lame pass-codes that were the first things we ever said to each other have become kind of a joke between us--but all that came out was “….” And, just like a holo-rom heroine, I ran to him.

Before Ezra went on his last mission, we used to talk almost everyday, long conversations by comlink about everything--the Empire, the Rebellion, his life growing up on Lothal, and mine growing up in a family of Jedi--but we haven’t talked for weeks.

We kissed like we were making up for all that lost time... It was still too short. I was dimly aware that Malta and Prisk were staring at us, their fur standing up like cacta bushes, but that wasn’t nearly as important as the grin that lit up Ezra’s blue eyes.

“So, I guess you missed me?”

I laughed, a strange hiccupy sob of a laugh, and then the words all tumbled out. “Of course I missed you! I tried to com you every day since you’ve been gone….After Scarif...and Alderaan...not knowing where you were...if you were okay...if I’d ever see you again! Of course I missed you.” My voice dropped to a whisper, and I buried my face against Ezra's shoulder to hide the fact that there were tears in my eyes. He held me tight; his embrace and his Force-presence were warm around me. I felt his lips brush against my hair.

“It’s okay, Ace. I’ve got more lives than a Loth-cat, remember?” Ezra tipped my chin up, and wiped a tear off my cheek. “But what are you doing here on Yavin? Is everything okay on Merkesh?”

“It’s a long story.” The last thing I wanted to talk about at that moment was Alderaan, my squabbling parents, the Force and Luke Skywalker.

“Tell me all about it at dinner?”

“As long as you tell me about your mission.”

“Deal.” Ezra smiled, and he kissed me again, softly this time, but I could feel the Force humming around us. “I missed you, too, Mara.”

If this was a holo-rom, Mella and Velanie would be swooning and sighing and squealing in rapture about now. But I never was a romantic, so I won’t do any of that…at least not out loud. <3

Notes:
    Empress! magazine, the GFFA’s answer to Cosmo, was created by Ewok Poet for her DDC, Doaba Ke'demii - The Diary of a Young Comradette

"Gar-Jen vs. Gargantua” is an actual holo-film, part of the Jedi Action genre. It’s a Blayne family favorite; both Doran and Raissa have watched it in the past.

The Boyz of the New Order are my fanon non-threatening, Imperial Culture Ministry approved boy band. Think One Direction (or, if you’re a certain age, New Kids on the Block) in SPAACE!

Zelosian zherry bombs are a nauseatingly sweet, though non-alacoholic, drink made with extra sugar and ANGRY MACE artificial milk product, also created by Ewok Poet. As referenced in Star Crossed, the younger officers challenge each other to see how many they can drink before they throw up.

“Ace”, Ezra’s nickname for Mara, is short for her call-sign in the Idiot’s Array, Ace of Sabers.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    HEHEHE! On the outside, Mara is so cool, but deep down, we know she's mushy! I loved seeing the classic reunion (though I wonder how Luke is feeling right now!).

[face_laugh] I feel like that is very very true.

My generation either didn't have a "Imperial Culture Ministry approved boy band" or I was WAAAAAAY too much like Mara.

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Awww... Mara is so adorbs. On the outside she's cool, but (for lack of a better way to put it, I'm going to steal how Bri said it) she's mushy on the inside.
    Seeing this from a diary POV kinda reminds me of a production of Spring Awakening I saw where several of the main cast were deaf and signed much of the show, they had counterparts that were the 'voice of' the character. My favorite way they used it was when in one scene the boy kissed another boy, the main character was trying to play it off as cool, but his 'voice' spun around on a piano stool with the biggest grin you've ever seen.
    That's kinda what I feel like we're seeing here, we get Mara's thoughts, but also get to see her from other's POV and know what she projects to other people.

I also really enjoyed the bit of her backstory we got here, how she started slicing at such a young age.

I'm excited to see how Luke is going to react to this... poor kid.

24. Mira_Jade

Jun 29, 2004
    They were obsessed with the Boyz of the New Order, and insisted I tell them who I thought was the cutest: Jek, Jax, Dax, Bail or Wenton. Velanie actually cried when I said they all looked the same and I thought their music was terrible. Rominaria asked me what was wrong with me. When I was fifteen, I started officially working at the Café Alderaan. They started reading Empress! magazine and swooning over the younger officers at the garrison, who did not impress me since I had to clean up after their Zelosian zherry bomb drinking games.

The amount of characterization and world-building in that little bit had me cracking up and applauding! Seriously - that's some awesome fanon going on both your part and Ewok Poet's! =D=

If this was a holo-rom, Mella and Velanie would be swooning and sighing and squealing in rapture about now. But I never was a romantic, so I won’t do any of that…at least not out loud.

Aww, Mara! [face_love][face_love] Her reunion with Ezra was beautiful - lighthearted and touching with that perfect underline of deep feeling underneath. I have to echo the above commenters with agreeing that that really is Mara - she is loving, she is affectionate, but time and circumstance have ensured that she only allows a select few people to see that. In this 'verse, Ezra is definitely blessed to be one of those few, and it's certainly easier for her to let herself give in and be girlish and mushy! I loved the entirety of their exchange.

Now I am curious to see poor Luke's reaction to this . . . oh, the teenage angst to come! I can't wait. =(( :p

25. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    And there's the "welcome!" :D I can't think of a better way for these two to make up for all that lost time than with a nice kiss. Cue, of course, Whitney Houston belting out "I Will Always Love You" and the Force going "MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM." [face_love]

And it is immensely sweet that those code phrases from their first meeting (familiar from Star Crossed!) have become a little in-joke between them—"their" greeting, and consequently part of this long-awaited reunion.

Once again, you aced the romantic, mushy bits—it's all juuust the right amount, and all perfectly sincere. And you hit the nail on the head with the oh-so-teenage paradox of "I pooh-pooh all that romance pudu... but OHMIGOSH I'M IN LOVE PUDDLE OF GOO <3 <3 <3"! :D Yep, one gets a whole new perspective on things like love and romance when one experiences it oneself—and finds that it's worlds different from all those holoroms—except when it isn't, in the case of Mara and Ezra's "handsome stranger walks into café" first meeting, of course! Though none of those romcom heroines, after all, was probably ever really worried about losing her beau to an Imperial superweapon, or even to the aftereffects of one. Mara's got a right to be gooey right about now, even if it's only to herself and the diary.

Mara's reminiscences of her shallow teenybopper friends are fantastic. The dippy activities and pretentious names are hilarious, of course (Winstar-Worplesdon,—love it! [face_laugh]), as is the concept of the "non-threatening, Imperial Culture Ministry approved boy band" (and yes, I remember New Kids on the Block well—self = dated). But there's a serious side to it: when Mara was constructing her lightsaber at 12, she was probably doing so in secret to avoid being caught by the Inquisitors, and I bet she saw a lot working at the Café Alderaan at 15—and probably had any number of unpleasant experiences and encounters while doing so (indeed, we see a bit of that in Star Crossed). :( That all definitely would not have left her time for things like holoroms and Empress and Jax and Dax and Bill... I mean Bail (and I honestly couldn't keep track of which New Kid was which either, back in the day). But the payoff is that she now knows what love and romance actually mean. (Incidentally, I wonder what would happen if Mara were to meet Rominaria or Velanie or Palomella again now that they're all older and wiser... have they learned, too, I wonder? [face_thinking]

Super fun stuff—keep it coming, and keep that Force humming! :D