main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Rebel Rising: Jyn Erso YA Novel by Beth Revis

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Jan 25, 2017.

1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    We've got cover art, a summary, and an excerpt now.

http://books.disney.com/book/rebel-rising/

[​IMG]

When Jyn Erso was five years old, her mother was murdered and her father taken from her to serve the Empire. But despite the loss of her parents she is not completely alone—Saw Gerrera, a man willing to go to any extremes necessary in order to resist Imperial tyranny, takes her in as his own, and gives her not only a home but all the abilities and resources she needs to become a rebel herself.

Jyn dedicates herself to the cause—and the man. But fighting alongside Saw and his people brings with it danger and the question of just how far Jyn is willing to go as one of Saw’s soldiers. When she faces an unthinkable betrayal that shatters her world, Jyn will have to pull the pieces of herself back together and figure out what she truly believes in…and who she can really trust.

Excerpt of chapters one and two

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

2. BookLover20

BookLover20 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2016
    Hmm. Could've sworn the RO novelization said Jyn was eight when Lyra was murdered, but chalk it up to differences between the film and novelization, I guess? *Shrug*

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Could be an error in the publicity summary -- the excerpt has her at eight.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

4. BookLover20

BookLover20 Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2016

Ah, OK. Thanks for the clarification.

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    THIS IS VERY GOOD

Oof. Wrea is a delicious deep cut Legends reference.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    So what's Beth Revis done previously, anyway? Name doesn't ring any bells.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    After a quick look on Amazon, apparently the "Across the Universe" series was a bestseller.

8. Balaaa

Balaaa Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 15, 2016
    Do we know the release date?

9. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Great another YA novel

10. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I think Jyn was supposed to be six when that flashback in the movie took place.

11. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Little details like life in hiding including Galen still working, but not up to his previous evil-Empire-approved level of burnout because he's got cozy home office, is one of those simplistic setups that I'm a bit tired off. Quick, we have to describe this concept in one paragraph. And we have to drive home that that Empire thing was bad. Just in case you didn't watch one of those SW movies in which the Empire kills people. So being on the run resulted in the Ersos having happy family life!

I don't know if I can sum it up correctly right now. Maybe "show don't tell" does the trick.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I thought it was nice to have that contrast with Catalyst.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

13. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I still need to finish Catalyst. Still got about a hundred pages left. For some reason Catalyst just hasn't hit home with me to where I feel like I can't walk away from it.

vncredleader likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    There's no law requiring you to read it.

15. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002

The young reader and YA books have been some of the best (and most well-written) parts of new canon so far.

16. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    So I just compared the first few paragraphs of Jyn's rescue by Saw in this book and in Freed's novelization, and of course, they're different. Nothing of consequence, but they're different and can't be reconciled. In Freed's book she wakes up right as the hatch is opening and wonders if it's her parents. In Rebel Rising she's already up and commiserating, and when the hatch opens she is momentarily frightened before seeing Saw. Again, not a huge difference, but Freed and Revis obviously didn't compare notes and just wrote different versions of the same scene from the film. Pretty sloppy, if you ask me.

Dr. Steve Brule and vncredleader like this.
  17. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    It's a point.

If I was to retcon...

... being as the book starts off from AdultJyn's perspective and then goes back to ChildJyn's perspective, they could be interpreted narratively as Jyn remembering, and, by fiat of the decade between the two points, misremembering contradictory details.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Well, she's clearly awake in the film before Saw opens the hatch, so my guess is that Freed was working off of an earlier draft of the script where she was asleep. Freed was probably writing his novel five months ago or more, well before the film was finished. These things happen all the time with adaptations, don't rag the authors like they should have waited to see the movie first.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Really looking forward to this one.

Blue 5 likes this.
  20. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Sinrebirth to the rescue! lol

I'm not being hard on the authors, I think Freed's a great writer and I immediately preordered Rebel Rising after reading like two paragraphs of the preview. If anything, I'm being hard on the Story Group. The whole point of their existence is to avoid continuity mistakes. I don't think it would be that hard to make sure two books released half a year apart that summarize the same scene in a film don't contradict each other. Again, it's a stupid difference and I don't really think it's a big deal. None of it's real anyway. I'm just pointing out that there is in fact a difference that could've been avoided. I've only seen the film once, so I didn't remember how it played out in the movie. I guess if anything Rebel Rising's depiction is more "canon" because it more accurately "aligns with what's on screen."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's also possible the narration in Rebel Rising isn't intended to relate a tight, limited chronology, and she's fallen asleep and woken up, startled.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    It isn't.

23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    In the movie Jyn looked like she was awake when Saw opened the Hatch so I am going to go with the version that says she was awake.

Revanfan1 and BobaMatt like this.
  24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    That's like 5% of their existence.

25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I mean, it's not like the story group is composed of the exact same people who overlooked giant editing and easily avoidable continuity mistakes in the last few years of the old EU or anything.