main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Making My Day! - Pro-Prequel Articles

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
  2. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002

Well said Mark. I absolutely hate TFA but I dont blame the actors. Its not so much that they are bad performances, they are just the WRONG performances. They were just doing what was in the script and the direction. Im not sure I even blame J.J. all that much, I blame Disney the most.

What the haters dont get is that Lucas didnt want some highly trained Hailey Joel Osment type child actor that hits all the beats. He wanted a natural sounding kid. Jake provided that. I honestly dont think his performance was much worse than Mark in episode 4.

3. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Here's an article: http://comicbook.com/starwars/2017/02/01/star-wars-mark-hamill-defends-prequel-trilogy-george-lucas/

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "But I could tell from the questions they were asking me that it was an open invitation to trash George."

What a perfect description of 'The People vs George Lucas'. Exposing (even more) the sad and stupid premiss of it all.

5. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

The main reason why I will always respect Mark Hamill. Not afraid of his own opinions and to speak honestly.

Thank you very much Mark! You're really a class guy!

6. Evening Star

Evening Star Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    That was great. But I don't expect anything less from Mark. He's a gentleman and a true SW fan. The whole fandom can learn from him.

wobbits, MarcJordan, DBPirate and 5 others like this.
  7. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    i knew my faith in mark was not misplaced :D

MarcJordan, SW Saga Fan and Alienware like this.
  8. CaptainSuchandSuch

CaptainSuchandSuch Jedi Master star 2

Dec 8, 2015
    And for what it's worth, I think Jake Lloyd's acting ability was better than Daniel Radcliffe's in the first few Harry Potter movies, but for some reason Radcliffe got cut a lot of slack. I remember in the first Potter movie, there's a scene early on where Radcliffe gives a very visible and audible gulp in his throat that seems forced, unrealistic, and almost cartoonish. In the third movie he cries "I'M GONNA KILL HIM!" with an awkward and contorted lip quiver that always makes me laugh whenever I see it. Lloyd may have been no Marlon Brando but his acting was certainly better than that.

9. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Another problem is people are way cynical about child actors' performances these days. Heck, I hear some people today criticizing Edward Furlong's performance in Terminator 2. Seriously??!!! I dont remember anybody having a problem with his performance back in 1991.

10. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    All three of the kid actors in "Harry Potter" gave not-so-great performances in the first HP movie -- Emma Watson's performance was particularly disappointing. She was clearly responding to cues each time she spoke a line. However, the same people that ripped Jake Lloyd apart bent over backwards to excuse Daniel, Rupert and Emma.

For the record, I think Haley Joel Osment is terrible.

CaptainSuchandSuch likes this.
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yes! Yes! To Mark Hamill you listen!

12. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015

"This was a dangerous time for all fans back then, when they were tempted by the dark side".

DarthKreVass likes this.
  13. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014

Can you shoot me any info about Anakin's original downfall?

Darthman92 likes this.
  14. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    The Documentary had genuine arguments for both sides, but you are sadly correct, most of it just showed the pathetic fanbase.

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What's a genuine argument against a man doing what he wants with his work?

16. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/theturn.html

Also an article:

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/camels...akins-conversion-to-the-dark-side-made-sense/

wobbits, Mr. Forest and Alienware like this.
  17. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    What I meant is that there are 2 perspectives of the whole argument against "If Lucas is good or not" within the narrative of the Document(except the actual productive one wasn't very apparent) And excuse me for saying genuine. I didn't mean that. There were actually a few genuine people in the movie praising Lucas, but it was over shadowed.

18. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    Alienware and crapiola like this.
  19. crapiola

crapiola Jedi Knight

Apr 7, 2016

Wow! Thanks for that. That was fascinating. Now that I know how "the Turn" was conciened, remnants of the original cut are obvious.

I'm very happy that Lucas was convinced by his original audience to change the purpose of the turn. Whomever the folks he showed that cut to didn't like the turn, because even though Lucas planted seeds in ATOC, showing that Anakin's fall was a product of years of work by Palpatine coming to fruition, nobody wanted to think that the hero was a villian all along. Lucas changed it into Anakin getting blackmailed into it, and it fits so much better. Especially with the repeated refrain of "there's good in him."

wobbits and Alienware like this.
  20. GuardianSoulBlade

GuardianSoulBlade Jedi Knight star 3

May 26, 2015
  21. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    New Power to the Prequels article on Padme.

Excellently done!

https://www.retrozap.com/the-case-for-padme-all-hail-the-queen/

I really like this paragraph:

The Queen personage in The Phantom Menace is, in many respects, an act. It is also perhaps a sly commentary on our own world’s gender politics within the halls of power. In a patriarchal society, a population is accustomed to rulers who project physical strength, intimidation, and stubborn resilience. In men, these are often admirable qualities. But in women, there is often a disconnect; these traits fly in the face of traditional gender roles. It’s not that women can’t be dominating, intimidating or stubborn; it’s that when they are, the public hates them for it. Strong women are accepted as long as they are shooting a big gun or performing martial arts in a skimpy outfit, but when they stand up for what they believe in and doggedly pursue their passions, they are belittled, bullied and silenced.

22. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Kevin Smith's answer to a fan who wants a remake of the prequels is priceless:

23. SW Saga Fan

Apr 19, 2015
    Roger Ebert gave a lot of thumbs up to The Phantom Menace when it was originally released back in 1999:

24. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    But he wasn't a fan of Attack of the Clones. Liked Sith IIRC though.

25. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    SW Saga Fan Great find.:)
    ''The little 9 year old in me was like, this is too scary, no wonder Darth Vader's so mean.''[face_laugh]

DarthAnakin96 and SW Saga Fan like this.