main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "There's More Than One King" - The MonsterVerse [Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire]

Discussion in 'Community' started by Eeth-my-Koth, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    this is an excerpt from the book I haven't written yet. It's called The story of the movies I loved, by Rylo Ken.

Chapter One:

I saw King Kong vs. Godzilla probably around 1972. They used to have after-school movies on the local CBS affiliate pre cable in my hometown. It was my favorite movie until my parents took me to see The Three Musketeers with Michael York, Oliver Reed etc. And that was my favorite movie until Star Wars came out in 1977.

King Kong vs. Godzilla >> Three Musketeers >> Star Wars

Darth Punk and vin like this.
  2. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000

I agree. That being said, I'm planning on seeing this movie in the theater in hopes the movie surprises me and wins me over.

I feel we are at the thresholds of what could be a revival of the kaiju/monster flicks that were pretty big in Rylo Ken's day :p, which Power Rangers due shortly after Kong and with Godzilla 2 and Pacific Rim 2 in the works.

3. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Exactly. I grew up on After School Movie and Friday Night Horror Movie Godzilla, Rodin, Gozilla vs. the Smog Monster, etc. I really wanted Pacific Rim and all the recent Godzilla movies to be good.

I don't know if it's just that I no longer have the capacity to enjoy these movies, but I thought Cloverfield was good harmless fun. I'd go see Cloverfield 2 as long as it wasn't a completely different movie with a faux marketing tie in to Cloverfield.

4. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    I think you're a few years older than, and I don't think you lost the capacity to enjoy these flicks. Godzilla was a frustrating movie for many old school fans as there were too many cut away scenes, like the first one in Hawaii were Godzilla fights the Muto. Pacific Rim was a nice film, but it was lacking in that it did not shine a bright spot light on the Jaegers. Both Godzilla and Pacific Rim focused too much on the human characters rather than what the people that bought tickets paid to see, and that's the monsters. Seriously, the monsters have been the MacGuffin of the movies instead of the focal characters.

So, I think that's a plus with Kong: Skull Island. They're not trying to hide or tease Kong, at least not in the trailers. It seems like the humans are the supporting characters to Kong, which is how these movies should be. Peter Jackson's King Kong was long, but Kong was a character in the film and not just some plot device to move the story forward.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Jackson's Kong contains segments that are nearly perfect, but overall it's a frustrating experience. It's like Spielberg's War of the Worlds, only longer and more frustrating.

Sarge, vin and Sith_Sensei__Prime like this.
  6. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    I'm actually excited to see this stupid movie. Any movie with giant monsters catches my eye.

7. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    so this is a Godzilla-sized Kong. How much taller than Jackson's Kong? And don't tell me it doesn't matter.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I have no desire to see this, I haven't even watched the trailer. And yet I keep coming in here to read every post.

Darkslayer likes this.
  9. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My only interest is to see if there's a movie with a larger collection of acting talent that I like still resulting with me having no interest in seeing it.

I'm not sure I'll find it.

10. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Is THAT was this is? I'm already over the whole "SomethingVerse" crap that's going on these days, but I know that it's going to continue being a thing based on Marvel's huge success with that formula.

Oh well. Count me out and uninterested.

Sent from A TRANSMISSION BEAMED ABOARD THIS SHIP--

11. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yeah sure. I'll go see it. I'm always up for monster movies.

Wait, what is John C. Reilly doing in this movie?

12. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Such Godzilla hate. That movie friggin rules!

I will go see Kong, it looks cool, but the trailer looks like the creators might not have given it the same TLC as was done with Godzilla.

Darkslayer likes this.
  13. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

Given that Google is saying Naomi Watts is 5'5",
    [​IMG]
    That would make Jackson's Kong about 26-27' tall.

Judging from the Kong Skull Island trailer where he's standing in front of Tom Hiddleston and Alison Brie...
    [​IMG]
    Tom Hiddleston is 6'2, meaning that this Kong's head alone is about 24' tall from chin to the top of his skull.

And since this is the "Man in a Suit" Kong that looks stupid by walking upright....
    [​IMG]

I'd say he's about 150-175' tall.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Who says it's a man in a suit?

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    We've all been waiting for the day Bullet Time Typewriting would return to the big screen.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  16. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I'm actually surprised by alot of the responses. Probably the main reason a thread wasn't created yet. I like Kaiju movies and was very pleased with both 2014's Godzilla & Japan's recent Shin Godzilla movie :)

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002

The director says Kong is 100 feet tall

The pic above with Hiddleston, considering a head to body ratio of about 7.5 would make him between 160 and 190 feet tall, roughly as you say. So, somebody is off somewhere. Gonna be hard for that to fight a 350 foot Godzilla, unless perhaps there is more than one Kong.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  18. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004

Yeah, I don't know if they've given it an official designation ala Marvel Cinematic Universe or Universal Monster Cinematic Universe, but it's a shared universe thing-a-ma-what-chit.

19. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    It's called the MonsterVerse. That's the official title.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I approve of the verse.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  21. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Points off for a lack of creativity, but it's hard to argue w/the logic.

22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I am. Looks good, Tom Hiddleston will make a good lead and I love Sam Jackson.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  23. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Beautiful new IMAX poster released in the spirit of Apocalypse Now.

[​IMG]

24. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    This film is looking better.

25. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Japanese poster for the movie;

[​IMG]