main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Aliit ori'shya tal'din: The Mandalorian Fanclub

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Bardan_Jusik, May 17, 2016.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Talk with your paired user about the topic. It's important to debate and understand different viewpoints as you form your own.

Good job Vode. I look forward to seeing your results.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    At the same time those three are expert fighters, most likely above your standard Jedi in martial capability, so maybe they are not the best examples to use in a Mando vs. Jedi fight.

3. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Admittedly though, Pre-Vizsla and Jango Fett were some of the most deadly Mandalorians.

Gamiel likes this.
  4. Jax Nova

Jax Nova Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 22, 2014
    As much as I love the Mando culture and everything, I fear I may have to go inactive here.

I joined the site for RP mostly and with the start up of several new RPs here and another site I am not finding time to do a lot on the internet other than my RP replies.

The Vanguard and Mitth_Fisto like this.
  5. Fandalorian

Fandalorian Jedi Master star 3

Apr 18, 2015
    So this is in the Force Awakens Visual Dictionary. Which technically makes it canon.

[​IMG]

Do you guys think Mandalorian Crushgaunts should become a thing again?, maybe in Rebels?.

Sinrebirth and E. L.Knight like this.
  6. Captain Owen

Captain Owen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 1, 2017
    Quite inactive this thread has been recently.

QueenSabe7 and Gamiel like this.
  7. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
    Are my Vode still around?

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If you want, can I post the stuff I have posted in the other mando thread to give it a bit speed.

9. Captain Owen

Jan 1, 2017
    Anything to give the thread a bit of activity, I'm sure the participants will appreciate.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Okej.

--------------------

Grand Admiral Paxis has got his hand on FFG's Friends Like These and told us some of the details that stood out for him. I thought two of the things he mentioned would be of interest over here
    and here is some art with mandalorians (or at least people in mando armour) from Friends Like These

11. Captain Owen

Jan 1, 2017
    Very interesting, and also some great art there.
    I can't wait for the new Rebels episode with all of the Mandalorian things happening during it.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Fandalorian

Apr 18, 2015
    I'm still here, just I trying not to explode while we wait for the big Mando episode.

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not really a My Little Pony fan but I'd buy that..

15. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Friends Like These was an unexpectedly great little treasure trove of new Mandalorian material. As soon as Paxis mentioned it, I immediately grabbed a copy. It does an excellent job picking up minor threads left by the Essential Guide to Warfare and The Bounty Hunter Code, weaving them together with elements from Republic Commando, The Old Republic, and The Clone Wars into a short but satisfying new narrative.

Spoiler tagging a more thorough review, in case anyone's hoping to give the adventure book their own readthrough in the future:
    The first thing that stands out is the similarity between the basic storyline of Friends Like These and what's happening on Rebels right now: the Rebel Alliance is in desperate need of manpower, and a partnership with a group of friendly Mandalorians could be just what they're looking for. But while Sabine's heading home to Mandalore in the hopes of swaying Clan Wren, Friends Like These takes a group of rebel agent player characters to the Outer Rim world of Vlemoth Port to meet with Clan Awaud at the local Mandalorian enclave, Arumorut. Vlemoth Port's a planet established in older RPG material, and Friends Like These does a nice job expanding on the world in general, but it's the addition of a Mandalorian enclave that really breathes new life into the planet.

Arumorut is a classic Mandalorian settlement, with a population just over eight hundred strong. It's small, nestled in the northern foothills near a clear mountain lake, surrounded by dense conifer tree forests, and littered with traditional vheh'yaime homes of varying sizes . At it's heart is "Clan Home," the massive vheh'yaim residence of Clan Awaud. The way Clan Home was described, it immediately took me back to Kyrimorut from the Republic Commando series, all rustic comfort and an intimate-yet-busy big family atmosphere. And out by the lake, you've got the Sheb Niktose cantina, frequented by boisterous old Mandos happy to buy you a drink and talk your ear off for an hour. In addition to Clan Awaud, you'll also find members with ties to Clans Beroya, Solus, and probably several others around Arumorut.

Friends Like These also does a nice job establishing the history of the settlement, as well. Chieftain Nam Beroya wanted no part in the growing conflict between the True Mandalorians, New Mandalorians, and the Death Watch, so he led his people to leave Mandalore behind some time around the Great Clan Wars, moving around and making their living as mercenaries, until finally settling on Vlemoth Port around the end of the Clone Wars. Again, I'm a little reminded of Clan Skirata's wariness over getting involved in the fight against the Empire back in Republic Commando. As they built up Arumorut, the Mandalorians allied with nearby tribes of immigrant Talz to defend one another from slaver raids, and went about contracting mercenary work throughout the nearby regions of space. Nam Beroya's lost in a Zygerrian slaver attack, believed dead but actually captured and enslaved, and his adopted daughter Vera Beroya succeeds him as clan chieftain.

Which is about where the main storyline comes in. The players' group of rebel agents comes to Vlemoth Port for Mandalorian aid in defending the foundries of Xorrn from Imperial attack. They meet with a local contact at the spaceport, a young Mandalorian named Kad Solus, and fly to Arumorut to meet with the chieftain...who's too busy to receive them immediately, so you get to wander the town. Head over to the cantina and you meet Teroch, a big, bearded, black Mandalorian—whose artwork is basically the exact mental image I had of Goran Beviin while reading Legacy of the Force, incidentally—with whom you can drink tihaar shots and talk about Arumorut's history. When you're done, maybe you can help locate a Mandalorian/Talz hunting party that's gotten lost out in the tundra, or take a few minutes to spar with a group of Mandalorian teens. Whenever you're finished, it's time to head to Clan Home to meet with Chieftain Beroya. How negotiations go depends upon the player(s), but whether you walk out of there with a few platoons of veteran mercenaries backed by a party of Talz warriors, or just a handful of volunteer soldiers, the Empire's going to have a bigger fight on their hands.

There's also some good stuff on the Zygerrians, forwarding the plot from TCW in an interesting way that develops the planet Kowak and the Zygerrian Slave Empire/Slavers Guild. Not to mention the issue posed by the larger storyline of Friends Like These, of whether an alliance with the likes of the Zygerrians is acceptable if it means standing a greater chance of defeating the Empire.

16. Fandalorian

Apr 18, 2015
    Gamiel and PCCViking like this.
  17. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Trying to breath a little more life back into the thread during this lull with a few more old prompt responses.

While the Mandalorians have long since abandoned their conqueror ways, it's an undeniable truth that the worlds once taken by the ancient Crusaders have, in one way or another, lead to a bettered Mandalorian people by the modern age.

Mandalore itself is a conquered world, the first and perhaps the most important: wrested from the titanic mythosaurs that once roamed the untamed plains, it became a place the Mando'ade could call home for thousands of years, an enduring bastion of the culture and refuge for all who called themselves Mandalorian. Neighboring Mandallia refused to be taken by force, and in repelling the Taung, became something of an equal partner in the early days of a fledgling Mandalore sector; skilled and powerful Mandallian Giants willingly joined the the Mandalorians, bringing along elements of their own culture, like narcolethe, as they integrated into the Mandalorian ranks. Taking Fenel and Basilisk, the Crusaders gained valuable technology, powerful ships, and amazing war droids, but the native Fenelar and Basiliskans were utterly wiped out. The Nevoota, Tlonians, and the Ithullans all shared in this same sad fate after the Mandalorians ravaged their planets, an end the Cathar only barely managed to avoid. Mandalorians took a willing Jakelia into the fold, welcoming its people into the clans and adopting their edged weaponry for combat. Many other worlds were taken by the violent efforts of the Crusaders and Neo-Crusaders in their time—some that remain Mandalorian to this day, and some that have since fallen into other hands—but each contributed to hone the Mandalorian people into what they now are, whether through technological empowerment, diversifying their population, or providing an example of a dark path that should never again be taken.

Of all the things that can be said about the ancient Mandalorians, one point that supporters and detractors alike always seem to agree upon is that they had an eye for good tech. And never was that more evident than when Mandalore the Indomitable's Crusaders emerged from a ruined world in the Core astride countless Basilisk war droids.[​IMG]
    The Bes'uliik is a marvel of droid engineering, more animal than machine in spirit, and equal parts war mount, gunship, and mechanical pet. They can operate in space, atmosphere, and on the ground with equal efficiency, capable of unloading an incredible array of firepower from a slew of built in weapons. Basilisks were also capable of using their powerful frames to tow vessels, ferry cargo, and lift freight; the potential is there for the droids to be a big help to Mandalorian industry, in addition to their more obvious defense applications. They're incredibly loyal creatures, too. Their animalistic droid brains form strong empathetic bonds with their riders, and they're receptive to the occasional snack of locap plasma mixed with narcolethe. Several of them still exist throughout the galaxy in the modern age—in the possession of wandering Mandalorian mercs or stuck behind glass at a number of museums, just waiting to be woken up, refurbished, and returned to service—and there are engineers out there who have the schematics to build all new Basilisk droids.

The central belief of the New Mandalorians, what separates them from the warrior clans and the traditions stretching back to the founding of the first Mando'ade, is a dedication to peace. It's not a complicated philosophy. Pacifism, non-violence, ani'naak—whatever you want to call it, the heart of their creed is the absence of war. And yet, wars have been fought for this. Mandalorians have bled and died over this, to see it destroyed, but also to protect it. Excluding the Death Watch and their ilk, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of true animosity toward the New Mandalorians from the clans. And many of these same Mandalorians fought to defend the New Mandalorian state during the Civil and Great Clan Wars, because the traditional obligation to aid a brother or sister in need transcends the societal gulf. Traditionalist Mandalorians like Kal Skirata even espouse a number of political views for the betterment of Mandalore that wouldn't be at all out of place for a New Mando.

A pacifistic life style isn't irreconcilable with traditional Mandalorian culture. Barring their early training to ensure that they can fight, it's entirely possible that a typical Mandalorian will never enter combat. Most make their livings in classically civilian fields—as doctors, farmers, merchants, cooks, and craftsmen—fighting only if it is required of them. The New Mandalorians fail to acknowledge this, however, and isolate themselves and the wholly different society they formed from the ground up, sacrificing traditions and elements of the Mandalorian identity that had nothing to do with their proscription of violence. They gave up their heritage, and according to custom, their Mandalorian soul. Taken in concert with the way they hold their contemporaries in such low esteem, denouncing them at every turn, hoarding the wealth of Sundari from them, and barring any but a narrow few from their sect, it's easy to see why the warrior clans would have a low opinion of the desert-dwellers, feeding into Death Watch's dangerous narratives.

Death Watch and the New Mandalorian government have exacerbated a level of enmity that need not exist, and the best way to bridge this divide, in my opinion, would be to bring an end the New Mandalorians' isolationism and allow the two peoples to reintegrate with one another. New Mandalorians in Keldabe and "Old" Mandalorians in Sundari, confronting each other in person, without the shadow of government prejudice or radical propaganda hanging over them. New Mandalorians wouldn't be compelled to fight, their pacifism respected as a matter of personal choice. Ideally, there wouldn't be separate societies anymore in time, only a united but diverse populace comprised of varied Mandalorians with different beliefs. Cin vhetin across the board. Mandalorians of all political leanings could sit side by side at the Oyu'baat, sharing their thoughts over a mug of ne'tra gal. And I suspect this is ultimately the path many devoted New Mandalorians were left to take after Sundari was re-militarized by Death Watch, finding refuge among the clans and carrying on their peaceful ways alongside the traditional culture rather than be forced to redefine themselves.

18. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    House Saxon

Detail to me a battle in which the Death Watch were defeated. Don't duplicate someone else's battle unless you want negative prestige.

Captain Owen, tag the team for a prestige point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E. L.Knight likes this.
  19. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014
  20. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Darn, forgot again. Will get around to it tomorrow.

21. TheSilentInfluence

Jul 15, 2014

Thanks Vode. I already have another task in mind once your done.

22. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009

Your sithiness is showing, mando'ade earn Honor Points. :p

23. E. L.Knight

E. L.Knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2012
    Viceroy Sinrebirth.

I would like to speak about the defeat of Pre Vizsla at the hands of Darth Maul. This was a significant defeat as it highlighted a non-Mandalorian taking on the mantle of the leader of Death Watch. House Vizsla is important in the history of the Mandalorians and this defeat, though it could be considered a victory depending on who you support, it undermined the unification and victory of Death Watch's main focus, other Mandalorians.

They believed that Duchess Satine was not a true Mandalorian, and then Death Watch was taken over by a Non-Mandalorian. It was a defining moment for Mandalore, the New Mandalorians, and Death Watch.

24. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Three honour points, E. L.Knight. It was most certainly a victory for all free thinking Mandalorian, as it highlighted the hypocrisy of House Viszla...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E. L.Knight likes this.
  25. E. L.Knight

E. L.Knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2012

Thank You, Viceroy.