main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit How did the prequels affect the post-RoTJ timeline?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by zchmrkenhoff, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Denon should have been used for DNT and later on.

Revanfan1 and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I think you don't understand the word parody, Dorkslayer :p

Kev-Mas_Colcha likes this.
  3. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Pretty much the whole clone subplot in the Thrawn trilogy makes no sense in light of the PT.

4. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    Hmm, actually the Thrawn Trilogy Dark Horse Comics adaptation eliminates most of the inconsistencies with the rest of the saga. Like with Splinter of the Mind's Eye, I consider the comic adaptations to be the "canon" (within Legends) version of the events, overruling the novels they adapted themselves.

The only issue is that the Last Command comic has Mara claiming that she wants to stop Thrawn's cloning project because she knows about the Clone Wars and doesn't want them to reoccur again. I just pretend Luke is thinking, "Hey the Clone Wars brought you the old Empire you love so much, do you know what you're talking about?", but just kept silent so as not to disrupt the mission.

Also, the prequels ran havoc over the timeline of Corran's Horn/Halcyon family tree. Maybe we can just pretend that Hal Horn being 10 when Nejaa left to fight in the Clone Wars in 22 BBY was actually him at the age of 13 (they were rounding--in TCW characters rounded 13 years as 10 like in 'The Lost One'). Then Hal Horn had Corran at the age of 17 in 18 BBY as a teenage father, and was a Corellian Security graduate as a high schooler.

Since they show circa 14 year olds as Imperial cadets in Star Wars: Rebels, it's not inconsistent with the saga... (No wonder Luke was ticked off at Uncle Owen at being left out of the Academy so long)

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Okay let's not be hasty. I'll never tire of Coruscant and/or the upper echelons.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

6. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    I still strongly suspect that JJ Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan completely intended to destroy Coruscant in TFA, and that they were overruled by Kathleen Kennedy (which means hurriedly putting in a line about the Hosnian system being destroyed).

7. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't know that it was last second but I definitely think it was their intent. It just really feels like they wanted it to be Coruscant.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'd have been so angry and I don't even really care about Coruscant.

9. Jedi Princess

Jedi Princess Jedi Master star 4

Mar 25, 2014
    I had a flash of that seeing it in the theater the first time. I almost missed the line about the Hosnian system because I was panicked whispering with my friend, trying to figure out if it was Coruscant or not, the architecture seemed wrong but maybe it was renovated after the Empire, wait what did that guy just say? Oh whew!

vncredleader likes this.
  10. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    Yeah that would have been just a massive slap to PT and EU fans for the sake of being a slap to the face.

11. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Didn't Abrams say with regards to the prequels "We're gonna make everything right." As in dismantle, ignore, tarnish, and undercut the prequels.

Had they blown up Coruscant I would have been angry to. Not at the first order but Abrams.

Hoss Delgado and vncredleader like this.
  12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I wouldn't mind a story that conceptually destroys Coruscant but I'd like to see a lot of build up to it and have it be the turning point gloves are off time for the hero's to put on the big boy pants now moment.

Revanfan1, WMIRTUTSF, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The NJO did pretty much just that, as it happens.

In addition to the whole issue about the Jedi becoming prequelized, it occurred to me today that another effect of this was the gradual reduction of there being non-Jedi (or if not Jedi, non-Force Sensitive) heroes. One reason I don't care about canon Wedge being kind of boring is that for the first time in what feels like forever, there's a whole bunch of pilot characters that are getting lots of focus - and aren't Jedi. The post-NJO featured virtually no new non-FS characters as protagonists except for Traviss's Mandalorians, and I'm not sure I can think of any once she was gone. Not that this was a problem unique to that era - why did a Dash Rendar novel need a guy who was taught by Kit Fisto's uncle as a major character??

14. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I agree. I was relieved when I found out it wasn't (Coruscant is one of my favorite SW planets).

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yes, I was fortunate in that I was looking at one of the maps released before the movie and they had "Hosnian Prime" in the Core Worlds. So I was on the lookout for a cool new Core World, so when Poe mentioned the Hosnian system I was like "oh thank god that wasn't Coruscant."

Because I really, really thought it was and I was not okay.

16. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    And it's already the scene that TFA fans and detractors alike are often willing to agree is poorly thrown together and jarring... having it be Coruscant blown up on top of its general awfulness would have been too much.:p

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, the movie would not have changed at all if that scene were cut out entirely.

18. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    What bothers me about the scene is that there is no way the Hosnian blast can be scene from the atmosphere of Takodana. JJ took his complete disregard for science or any sort of in-universe sci-fi logic (supernova threatening the galaxy) from his work in Star Trek and brought it to Star Wars. (Star Trek had some fairly robust in-universe rules before Abrams' films).

While Lucas took breaks from logic that improved his work (sound in space), the Hosnian scene and the bit with Han pulling out of hyperspace at the last second to infiltrate Starkiller seems to just be Disney making up sci-fi rules as they go when convenient, rather than having a strong set of rules and building the story around it.

Son of a Bith likes this.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    How is that any different from ESB and the Falcon traveling without a hyperdrive?

"Science" in SW is whatever the plot dictates it is.

20. sidv88

Aug 22, 2005
    Time dilation--Bespin is 2 light months away from Hoth/Anoat systems. Han went at 99.999% the speed of light (the fastest he can make without a working hyperdrive) to get to Cloud City, but due to time dilation to him, Leia, Chewie and C-3PO it doesn't feel nearly as long. This length of time is even implied in the film, as Luke trains for a long time (months to get to near-Jedi proficiency) with Yoda.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

Son of a Bith and JediBatman like this.
  21. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    In Legends, Han and Chewie rig up a back-up hyperdrive to reach Bespin. It's still fairly slow.

Edit: If I'm remembering this right, the prequels almost killed the EU: Someone at Lucasfilm(or was it Ryder Windham?) saw the TPM script and recommended rebooting the entire EU. This proposal was rejected. I can't give a source, as I only vaguely remember something like that.

JediBatman likes this.
  22. Ulicus

Jul 24, 2005
    That would have been pretty irritating. Not because reboots suck, but because it would mean we missed out on loads of cool alternative Clone Wars era stuff due to an off-limits policy that wasn't even relevant. :p

23. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Ultimately everyone has differing levels of how much b.s. science they'll tolerate in science fiction, and it varies from person to person. To me, if the Falcon going to Bespin without a hyperdrive is Indy clinging to the side of the U-boat for days in Raiders of the Lost Ark, then destruction of a system instantaneously appearing in the sky of a planet millions of miles away for no reason is Indy surviving a nuke by climbing in a fridge.

jSarek, Son of a Bith and Huttese 101 like this.
  24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, they needed to un**** the Saga from its prequelisation. Lucas is visionary; there is no doubt of that. But his likely place on the spectrum means he emphatically does not understand human beings, and as such cannot relate to them in a meaningful way.

As a result, Star Wars became stilted, polished (part of the attraction of the OT was that everything had a lived-in, used-a-lot look and feel to it) and lacking depth and dimensions.

Destroying Coruscant as a message about the rescuing of Star Wars actually would have been perfect in my mind.

OK, so, that's a thing and all but it's space opera, not sci-fi. This sort of "handwaving the science for science-y reasons" behaviour is exactly what space opera (or space fantasy, if you prefer) does.

25. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016

I'm well aware of your prequel opinions, however they are still canon. And not everyone is as hostile to them as you are.

mes520 and Darkslayer like this.