main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should we petition for more Prequel Era content from Disney?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jesta', Jan 30, 2017.

1. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    No, petitions never work.

2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Dude, Rogue One happens immediately prior to A New Hope. Like, the ending shot is at least minutes before the opening of ANH, and at most, hours. It's most definitely not happening "1-2 years before." So Leia is 19, as she was in ANH. I'm not sure how you got the continuity of events stretched out like that.

But to address your first point, we're already getting at least one movie set during the Dark Times, which is the Han Solo film. That's about at the midpoint; ~10 years after RotS, ~10 years before ANH. I'm assuming the third standalone film is going to be based on Boba Fett (that was the film Josh Trank was working on before he left/was removed from the project, but I don't know if it's been scrapped outright or not), and I'm guessing that would either A) be set during the Dark Times, or B) be set after Return of the Jedi.

mihaitzateo and Snax Rebo like this.
  3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I realize that. I quoted your post because it was a good one.

I wish they had fully embraced I-VI for VII but then Lucas gave them the basics of how to go forward and they didn't use them.

So really so far the entire basis of the ST is off to a very shaky start that will need to be course corrected by VIII and IX.

I wish them well but they have a lot of work to do to get the ST to anything but a good entertainment compared to what Lucas achieved.

But really what they want are hit movies and Lucas wasn't interested in doing that so really his approach and Disney's are polar opposites.

Red23 and Huttese 101 like this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    No. The Prequel era was very well covered. There's way more canonical content set in that period than any other. I'm interested in what happened between the trilogies & post RotJ.

DrDre likes this.
  5. Cedric T Sealion

Cedric T Sealion Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 19, 2014
    Indeed. We don't need another 6 seasons of material set during the prequel era.

6. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    It'll be great to have LFL finish TCW in whatever forms, I'm not even asking for animated stories even if that will please me greatly. Judging by Rebels' animation budget, difference will be hard not to notice after the greatness of the latest seasons.

7. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Did not analyzed with lots of attention, when Rogue One is happening.
    The Han Solo movie should be a very funny one,or at least I hope so.
    Movies after Return of the Jedi - yes, I hope there will be such movies.
    If Disney (which has Lucas as 2nd major shareholder) follows Lucasfilm logic , than we should have movies that describes
    the childhood of Rey,childhood of Ben Solo and other movies.
    But is very possible Lucas changed his views upon Star Wars.
    So who knows what will follow.

8. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Depends how long Rebels goes. That several more seasons set during the PT era as well as Rogue One, Han Solo and any Obi-Wan or Boba Fett film set before ANH.

9. Jesta'

Jesta' Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2017
    That isn't true anymore. The years just prior to ANH own that title now.

10. J7Luke

J7Luke Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 30, 2017
    I like the prequel era and would be happy with some more stuff from that time period, but I would really like some Old Republic stuff. That is arguably my favorite Star Wars era.

11. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    How can that be true given the volume of TCW episodes + the PT?

DrDre and CT1138 like this.
  12. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Rebels, Rogue One and the forthcoming Han Solo movie etc are not set during the prequel era. Are you trying to be funny?

CoolyFett likes this.
  13. Cedric T Sealion

Jul 19, 2014
    Indeed. Even if you include all the novels and comics. To me they're all Legends anyway. We all know that one day they will want to do a TV show or a movie that renders that material non-canonical. To me it's just the movies and the TV shows that count.

14. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    You won't be needing the petition. A source who I have found to be really reliable throughout the years, has stated that Disney were talking about doing a movie on one of Jedi masters. More then likely this will be Obi-Wan. Windu and Yoda are strong possibilities as well, but with the things we know about the future films, it is a safe bet they will be going with Obi-Wan. They seemed to be concentrating on the years between ROTS and ANH, which they will have a lot more creative writing freedom.

15. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    A "source", right.

16. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    That gives me less and less hope... One question. Is it closer to ROTS or ANH on the timeline, remember it's a 22 year gap.

17. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    A Source, that is close to those in Disney executive department.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Jesta' Have you seen Marvel's collection of PT comics? So far they've done Anakin & Obi-Wan (between TPM and AOTC) and Kanan (takes place between TCW and ROTS). Right now a Darth Maul series and a Yoda/Mace Windu story arc are also coming out (before TPM).

B99 likes this.
  19. Huttese 101

Huttese 101 Sam Witwer Enthusiast star 7

Jan 19, 2016
    [face_laugh] Of course they said that. Of course. :oops:

Yeah, those Rathtars look straight out of the '70s, alright.

I'd love an anthology movie set during the Valorum administration. Not necessarily right before TPM, maybe a few years before. But it would be nice to see the actual status quo of the galaxy, before any massive war like we have in the rest of the movies.

20. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    That is common knowledge, I've stated that in this thread many times.
    Now that is news!!! Sounds great!!

21. Ancient Whills

Jun 12, 2011
    I remember about Yoda but no mention of a Yoda/Mace team up anywhere beside a cover featuring Yoda and Windu together.

22. Jesta'

Jan 25, 2017
    Shame, I thought I found some good news.

23. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Not at all.

We went over this all before.

In terms of the definition of prequel ANH is the original narrative. Anything set before that is a prequel. So all of these things are by definition prequels.

I know that for whatever reason some like to appropriate everything directly after ROTS as being OT despite the fact that all this era is clearly informed by the events of the PT far more than the OT.

The tone and texture of everything in Star Wars has been and will continue to be influenced by the PT era both the movies and TCW.

So the reality is that Star Wars is now as much PT as OT which really means that it's all one saga.

Rebels, Rogue One, TFA etc could not and would not be what they are now without the PT. That influence is clearly resonated through the movies, books and comics.

Cryogenic likes this.
  24. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

More cogent thoughts, QRB.

Kinda sums it up, in my opinion.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Thanks,

My point is that rigid definitions of an "Era" really don't work.

Can we use them in some regards? Sure but then we have to argue about them.

But when does the OT era start then? When does it finish?

What is the percentage? Clearly if you pull the PT "era" out of things set before the OT era then they can't be the same. The Darth Vader comic is impossible for the OT era. Rebels and Rogue One are impossible as they are for the OT era.

The PT's distinct advantage comes directly from the fact that Lucas didn't want to explain anything that deeply so he concentrated on explaining the then and now of the story as opposed to what came before. The PT "explains" that and so we are informed by it to how all these things work.

Cryogenic likes this.